Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:58
Dutch to English
Jan 2, 2012

Dell 3750, Windows 7 Home Premium

This afternoon my laptop has started displaying new behaviour. When I use certain keys or key combinations (particularly cntrl+arrow to jump from word to word or ctrl+shift+arrow to select several words, but also the arrow keys alone), they will occasionally not react, so I will have to press the key or key combination two or more (even several) times before it reacts. This has never happened before and this laptop is only a few months old. The beha
... See more
Dell 3750, Windows 7 Home Premium

This afternoon my laptop has started displaying new behaviour. When I use certain keys or key combinations (particularly cntrl+arrow to jump from word to word or ctrl+shift+arrow to select several words, but also the arrow keys alone), they will occasionally not react, so I will have to press the key or key combination two or more (even several) times before it reacts. This has never happened before and this laptop is only a few months old. The behaviour is not permanent but it is very regular and not restricted to any particular program. Nor can I conceive of any software I have running that could cause the problem. Any ideas? May I have inadvertently turned on or off some fast-key setting? Or is it the keyboard?

[Edited at 2012-01-02 15:23 GMT]

Sorry, I forgot I had an external keyboard. Am trying that first... Seems the problem was the laptop.

[Edited at 2012-01-02 15:25 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
English to French
+ ...
dying keyboard? Jan 2, 2012

To me, what you describe sounds like a dying keyboard. Have you turned over the laptop to get rid of the bread crumbs?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes Jan 2, 2012

JL01 wrote:

To me, what you describe sounds like a dying keyboard. Have you turned over the laptop to get rid of the bread crumbs?

I think, too, it's a keyboard problem.

Or try a keyboard vacuum cleaner (or air spray). It's astonishing how much dirt get's into a keyboard! Not only bread crumbs, but also cat hair, if you have a cat, and so on...

Good luck!

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
Latin to English
+ ...
Alternate solution: stand alone keyboard Jan 2, 2012

I use a stand-alone keyboard plugged into my laptop, which, inter alia, I find much more ergonometric and efficient (keys farther apart, separate "numerical" keyboard, etc.). If your problem is a keyboard problem with your laptop, plugging one of these in to one of your laptop's USB ports will solve the problem. These stand alone keyboards come in a wide range or prices, but the most expensive ones have all sorts of built-in programming that just mimic your computer's program and complicate thin... See more
I use a stand-alone keyboard plugged into my laptop, which, inter alia, I find much more ergonometric and efficient (keys farther apart, separate "numerical" keyboard, etc.). If your problem is a keyboard problem with your laptop, plugging one of these in to one of your laptop's USB ports will solve the problem. These stand alone keyboards come in a wide range or prices, but the most expensive ones have all sorts of built-in programming that just mimic your computer's program and complicate things. An absolute plain vanilla one only costs about thirty bucks, and as I said, is more comfortable to use than a laptop keyboard.
Anyway, good luck.

[Edited at 2012-01-02 18:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-01-02 18:17 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

key strokes ignored

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »