Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 08:44
Miembro 2006
neerlandés al alemán
+ ...
Dec 1, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Being a longtime Blackberry user, I'm finding Android smartphones increasingly attractive. I'm not sure if I understand correctly what switching to Android would mean for me, so any hints are welcome.

Obviously, I'm using the email functions of the Blackberry a lot. I understand that Android offers a similar email push service, but only in connection with a Googlemail account. So I'd have to forward my email to this Gmail address in order to access it w
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Being a longtime Blackberry user, I'm finding Android smartphones increasingly attractive. I'm not sure if I understand correctly what switching to Android would mean for me, so any hints are welcome.

Obviously, I'm using the email functions of the Blackberry a lot. I understand that Android offers a similar email push service, but only in connection with a Googlemail account. So I'd have to forward my email to this Gmail address in order to access it with an Android phone? Or can I use other email addresses as well (push and send)? Currently, recipients will not be able to tell whether I've sent an email from my PC or from my Blackberry. Can I achieve this with an Android phone?

Any other things to consider?

Kind regards
Erik
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Polonia
Miembro 2004
inglés al polaco
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
Push vs. poll Dec 1, 2011

efreitag wrote:
Obviously, I'm using the email functions of the Blackberry a lot. I understand that Android offers a similar email push service, but only in connection with a Googlemail account.

While push certainly looks attractive - you get your mail (almost) immediately, polling clients are not so bad, either. I have my mail check interval set to 10 minutes, which means that I get the message with 10 minute delay in the worst case, with 5 minutes on the average. I can certainly live with that.

I have my regular mail address (hosted by ProZ, actually) configured as POP3/SMTP in my K-9 mail application. That way I can synchronize the mail between my phone and my desktop app and the clients do see my main address.

The only minor issue is that mails sent from the phone are not backed up on my desktop app (Thunderbolt).

Chunyi Chen
Estados Unidos
Local time: 23:44
inglés al chino
I have other email accounts set up on my Android phone Dec 2, 2011

From my own experience, you can set up different email accounts on an Android phone. (I have a HTC My Touch phone.) I like the actual keyboard things on my old Blackberry, which My Touch doesn't have. However, Android allows you to do a lot of other things besides emailing. My decision to switch two years ago was more for entertainment purposes than for work.
One other major factor for me to switch was I never figured out how to type or read Chinese emails on my Blackberry, whereas w
... See more
From my own experience, you can set up different email accounts on an Android phone. (I have a HTC My Touch phone.) I like the actual keyboard things on my old Blackberry, which My Touch doesn't have. However, Android allows you to do a lot of other things besides emailing. My decision to switch two years ago was more for entertainment purposes than for work.
One other major factor for me to switch was I never figured out how to type or read Chinese emails on my Blackberry, whereas with Android I could easily download the Google Chinese input system and be able to send and receive Chinese emails.

Chun-yi

[Edited at 2011-12-02 04:25 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 09:44
Miembro 2003
finlandés al alemán
+ ...
You could consider Windows phones Dec 2, 2011

The new Lumia 800 is Windows compatible, so you are able to use Windows applications on your phone.
IMO keeping up to date on e-mail traffic was never any problem on any phone I used these last 10 years. Blackberry system does not work in Finland at all.

Polonia
Miembro 2004
inglés al polaco
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
Windows Phone is not Windows Dec 2, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The new Lumia 800 is Windows compatible, so you are able to use Windows applications on your phone.

This statement is misleading at best... It is a Windows Phone device, so you can run only Windows Phone apps. There is no way to run regular Windows application. And the selection of Windows Phone is far from iPhone/Android portfolio. However, I've heard the system itself is fine and that the number of apps is increasing...

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belice
neerlandés al alemán
+ ...
Almost as fast as push e-mail Dec 2, 2011

I use an IMAP e-mail account on my Android and I don't think there is too much difference when it comes to the speed in which you receive your e-mails (tested it by sending a couple of e-mails to myself, they arrive literally instantly). And yes, you can get rid of the "Sent by using whatever" addition in your e-mails and your clients will not notice the difference.

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2008
inglés al albanés
+ ...
If you appreciate privacy, ditch Andriods and Blackberries Dec 2, 2011

This will really make you think twice before you tap anything on your phone. They are logging literally everything you do.

See here for more details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/technology-15982225 and make sure to see the YouTube demonstration of what this secret bug actually does See more
This will really make you think twice before you tap anything on your phone. They are logging literally everything you do.

See here for more details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/technology-15982225 and make sure to see the YouTube demonstration of what this secret bug actually does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo.

At least for the moment Windows phones seem to be outside the Carrier IQ saga.
Collapse

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
yahoo Dec 2, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Obviously, I'm using the email functions of the Blackberry a lot. I understand that Android offers a similar email push service, but only in connection with a Googlemail account. So I'd have to forward my email to this Gmail address in order to access it with an Android phone? Or can I use other email addresses as well (push and send)? Currently, recipients will not be able to tell whether I've sent an email from my PC or from my Blackberry. Can I achieve this with an Android phone?

Android only has a built-in push client for gmail, but you can also get push for yahoo if you install the yahoo email app. There may be others. Push is better than 10-min polling as it should be much more battery efficient. If you send mail with the yahoo client (and switch off the signature), your emails will look as if you sent them from a computer. Crucially, they will show up in your sent folder just like emails sent from the web interface.

inglés al húngaro
+ ...
just get a mexus Dec 2, 2011

Αlban SHPΑTΑ wrote:

See here for more details: http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/technology-15982225 and make sure to see the YouTube demonstration of what this secret bug actually does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17XQI_AYNo.

At least for the moment Windows phones seem to be outside the Carrier IQ saga.

If you're worried about this sort of thing, you should get a google nexus device without carrier "customizations" (currently, that'd be the galaxy nexus). Windows phone is closed-source, we have no idea what it does behind the scenes. Android is open source and thousands of geeks have gone over the code with a fine-tooth comb. Plain, unmodified Android is the only smartphone OS that demonstrably won't spy on you without your consent.

[Edited at 2011-12-02 10:50 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Grecia
Local time: 09:44
Miembro 2008
inglés al griego
+ ...
Windows phone or Symbian 3 Dec 2, 2011

I would like to suggest going for a device with Windows Phone 7 in it, because you will love the integration with Microsoft Office: you can have not only your e-mail but also all your Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote documents in perfect sync.

If for some reason you don't like Windows Phone 7, you could go for a Nokia device with Symbian 3, which, by the end of the year will have their own versions of Microsoft Office released. Microsoft has formed a very close partnership with N
... See more
I would like to suggest going for a device with Windows Phone 7 in it, because you will love the integration with Microsoft Office: you can have not only your e-mail but also all your Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote documents in perfect sync.

If for some reason you don't like Windows Phone 7, you could go for a Nokia device with Symbian 3, which, by the end of the year will have their own versions of Microsoft Office released. Microsoft has formed a very close partnership with Nokia, it seems!

Currently, I own a Nokia C6-00, which is not a Symbian 3 device, and I have added my two hotmail addresses, from which I get new messages "as soon as they arrive", all day long—that's the default setting, but you can change it to some other interval. Actually, I have added one of my Hotmail accounts with the "Mail for Exchange" feature and this way I get not only my mail messages but also my contacts and calendars synced between my phone, my computer and the "cloud". This means that if I get a new message from a client via Outlook, on my PC, and I add them to my Outlook contact list, they will be on my Nokia phone's contact list as well within a couple of minutes, without me having to connect my phone to my PC with a cable.
Collapse

Polonia
Miembro 2004
inglés al polaco
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
Not really... Dec 2, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
Push is better than 10-min polling as it should be much more battery efficient.

This is true only in almost ideal conditions... You don't download the data, but you still must maintain secure connection with the server. If you have very good reception and don't move much (or use Wifi anyway, though it is a drain on battery in itself), push is more efficient. However, if the connection is less than ideal, the system might actually use more power trying to maintain the connection than periodically downloading a small amount of data.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2006
neerlandés al alemán
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks so far Dec 4, 2011

Dear all,

Thanks for your advice, that was really helpful. I certainly can live with 10 minute polling intervals, and as you confirmed I can sensibly use other email addresses than gmail ones, I think I can switch to Android.

Thanks again!

Kind regards
Erik

inglés al húngaro
+ ...
Battery Dec 4, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
Push is better than 10-min polling as it should be much more battery efficient.

This is true only in almost ideal conditions... You don't download the data, but you still must maintain secure connection with the server. If you have very good reception and don't move much (or use Wifi anyway, though it is a drain on battery in itself), push is more efficient. However, if the connection is less than ideal, the system might actually use more power trying to maintain the connection than periodically downloading a small amount of data.

Obviously, we'd have to do extensive testing to be sure, and the results would probably depend on the handset, network and geographical location. AFAIK Android phones tend to maintain a live internet connection at all times anyway, so using push email might not add to the drain much, and I have read fairly reliable first-hand accounts of 5-or 10-min polling draining the battery with alarming speed. I don't remember accounts of push being so power hungry.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
alemán al inglés
+ ...
When you get your Android phone... MultiLing Jan 12, 2012

I have a Droid 3 with a couple of different e-mails set up on it. I needed push, so I got a Gmail address & use that now. For some reason I can't get Gmail to connect from the universal inbox, but it doesn't really matter. I have the app on my home screen and the e-mail notifications pop up anyway.

When you get your Android phone, I would recommend getting MultiLing keyboard. Don't know how it compares with other keyboard programs, but it has been working very well for me in switchi
... See more
I have a Droid 3 with a couple of different e-mails set up on it. I needed push, so I got a Gmail address & use that now. For some reason I can't get Gmail to connect from the universal inbox, but it doesn't really matter. I have the app on my home screen and the e-mail notifications pop up anyway.

When you get your Android phone, I would recommend getting MultiLing keyboard. Don't know how it compares with other keyboard programs, but it has been working very well for me in switching easily between English, German and Latvian.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switching from Blackberry to Android?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search