tyshelley
tyshelley
United States
Local time: 01:05
Spanish to English
Dec 1, 2011

Hi All,

My objective:
To create a termbase from Multiterm that can be used by a non-Trados using freelance translator.

What I tried:
I'm trying to generate a TBX file from Multiterm 2009. I've gone under the "Catalog" view, selected "Export" from the field "Catalog Categories", right clicked and "Activated" the option "TBX (LISA 2002), which says "This creates a TBX XML file, compliant with the TBX core structure..." At this point I right cl
... See more
Hi All,

My objective:
To create a termbase from Multiterm that can be used by a non-Trados using freelance translator.

What I tried:
I'm trying to generate a TBX file from Multiterm 2009. I've gone under the "Catalog" view, selected "Export" from the field "Catalog Categories", right clicked and "Activated" the option "TBX (LISA 2002), which says "This creates a TBX XML file, compliant with the TBX core structure..." At this point I right click the option "TBX (LISA 2002) and select "Process." The resulting exported files are a log file and an XML file.

My results/question:
Is this exported file the TBX (interchangeable between multiple CAT tools)? If so, why is it not showing "TBX" in the file extension. I would assumen "TBX" would actually appear in the file extension... If that is the case, I am either not going about it the right way in Multiterm... or Multiterm does not produce TBX files. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Ty
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 16:05
Japanese to English
"TBX" refers to the file content and purpose in this case, not the file extension... Dec 2, 2011

tyshelley wrote:
My results/question:
Is this exported file the TBX (interchangeable between multiple CAT tools)? If so, why is it not showing "TBX" in the file extension. I would assume "TBX" would actually appear in the file extension...

Ty,

The .tbx file extension was already officially taken for another type of file(see here: http://file-extension.paretologic.com/detail.php/File-Extension-tbx), so MultiTerm doesn't use the extension ".tbx". See here for a good presentation of the TermBase Exchange(TBX) format: http://www.tiu.ac.jp/org/openforum2006/slides/P5.pdf

Since the TBX format is simply XML, it doesn't necessarily matter what the extension is, as long as the actual file content is in a valid TermBase Exchange format.

If your freelance translator's software doesn't recognize the .xml as as TBX file, he/she can simply change the extension from .xml to .tbx if that is what his/her software requires.

MLGrant

[Edited at 2011-12-02 01:07 GMT]

tyshelley
tyshelley
United States
Local time: 01:05
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 2, 2011

Michael,
I appreciate your reply. I thought about just adding the extension manually... but seemed to simple. Many thanks!
-Ty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TBX creation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »