https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/213014-using_a_macbook_air_with_trados-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Using a macbook air with Trados
Thread poster: Charles Jones
Charles Jones
Charles Jones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:33
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windows on an MBA Dec 4, 2011

David Jessop wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?

Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!

Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is my marriage on the line here!

Cheers,
Charles

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:33
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Installing without an optical drive Dec 4, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Cheers,
Charles

Install from an ISO image you've saved on a USB stick after making it from the Windows DVD on another computer (which will indeed have to have an optical drive):

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

I'd reconsider not getting the external optical drive though. It doesn't have to be a Superdrive - most any all-purpose drive will work with a Mac. They're really cheap nowadays (over here, starting at about $45 for a basic USB-powered portable) that it may be easier just to get one (and have it to use later, of course) than jump through hoops to avoid it for a single installation.

HTH. I'm into this myself now, as I'm about to dive into installing Windows on the brand new Macbook Pro 13 I bought (ahem!) "for my wife". Of course, she'll get it back eventually, after I check out the installation thoroughly... )

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
USB stick Dec 5, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

David Jessop wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?

Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!

Cheers,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes, I did it with a (16 GB) USB stick, absolutely no problems whatsoever. There are lots of resources you can Google to help you but it was quite seamless.

It's up to you but I would recommend partitioning around 40 GB space for Windows; then you can share document folders from the Mac partition with that 40 GB mainly being for programs. That's what I did, have installed loads of programs, and still have around 10 GB remaining.

Good luck, send me a PM if I can help with anything.

David

Charles Jones
Charles Jones  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:33
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
All done and dusted! Dec 10, 2011

In the end, I bought myself a superdrive as a kind of early Christmas present. I chickened out, I suppose! I have now installed everything perfectly, and will get down to doing some work to justify (and pay for) all this kit!

We should set up some kind of mac community/lobby within proz to help each other out!

That´s it - you have all been a great help - my thanks to everyone.

All the best, Charles

Olga Dyussengaliyeva
Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 10:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Mac community to help each other Dec 11, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

In the end, I bought myself a superdrive as a kind of early Christmas present. I chickened out, I suppose! I have now installed everything perfectly, and will get down to doing some work to justify (and pay for) all this kit!

We should set up some kind of mac community/lobby within proz to help each other out!

That´s it - you have all been a great help - my thanks to everyone.

All the best, Charles

Totally agree to mac lobby idea the discussion is very helpful - I've encountered the same problem here, looking for a Translation CAT tool that would work with my MacBook. Thanks for help!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Technical forums > Apple/Mac operating systems Dec 11, 2011

There actually already is one here: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems-68.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a macbook air with Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »