Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Using a macbook air with Trados
Autor de la hebra: Charles Jones

Charles Jones  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 01:37
español al inglés
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Windows on an MBA Dec 4, 2011

David Jessop wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?


Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!


Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is my marriage on the line here!

Cheers,
Charles


 

LEXpert  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 18:37
Miembro 2008
croata al inglés
+ ...
Installing without an optical drive Dec 4, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is my marriage on the line here!

Cheers,
Charles


Install from an ISO image you've saved on a USB stick after making it from the Windows DVD on another computer (which will indeed have to have an optical drive):

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

I'd reconsider not getting the external optical drive though. It doesn't have to be a Superdrive - most any all-purpose drive will work with a Mac. They're really cheap nowadays (over here, starting at about $45 for a basic USB-powered portable) that it may be easier just to get one (and have it to use later, of course) than jump through hoops to avoid it for a single installation.

HTH. I'm into this myself now, as I'm about to dive into installing Windows on the brand new Macbook Pro 13 I bought (ahem!) "for my wife". Of course, she'll get it back eventually, after I check out the installation thoroughly... )


 

David Jessop  Identity Verified
España
Miembro
español al inglés
+ ...
USB stick Dec 5, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

David Jessop wrote:

Charles Jones wrote:

I am thinking of getting myself a macbook air as my 2nd. computer. I have a normal PC for office work, but need a small laptop for travel. I would need to use Parallels to run it, bu am wondering if it would all work fine. What does anyone think? Is there a better option than the mac?


Hi Charles,

I do just that (Macbook Air late 2011, 13" 4 GB RAM) and I happen to use VMWare instead of Parallels but imagine you would have the same results.

The only challenge is that some of the Trados keyboard shortcuts don´t work given the differences in keyboard. This can be solved by purchasing a USB external PC keyboard.

Good luck, I love my MBA!


Okay, so I have it - my wife is still not talking to me yet, but I have it. A lovely MBA 13". Unfortunately, it seems very difficult to install windows, unless you have a external optical drive, which I haven´t. How did you do it, David? In Apple they mentioned from a USB, but were´t all that convincing. I really don´t want to buy a superdrive because I´ll never use it.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is my marriage on the line here!

Cheers,
Charles


Hi Charles,

Yes, I did it with a (16 GB) USB stick, absolutely no problems whatsoever. There are lots of resources you can Google to help you but it was quite seamless.

It's up to you but I would recommend partitioning around 40 GB space for Windows; then you can share document folders from the Mac partition with that 40 GB mainly being for programs. That's what I did, have installed loads of programs, and still have around 10 GB remaining.

Good luck, send me a PM if I can help with anything.

David


 

Charles Jones  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 01:37
español al inglés
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
All done and dusted! Dec 10, 2011

In the end, I bought myself a superdrive as a kind of early Christmas present. I chickened out, I suppose! I have now installed everything perfectly, and will get down to doing some work to justify (and pay for) all this kit!

We should set up some kind of mac community/lobby within proz to help each other out!

That´s it - you have all been a great help - my thanks to everyone.

All the best, Charles


 

Olga Dyussengaliyeva  Identity Verified
Kazajstán
Local time: 04:37
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Mac community to help each other Dec 11, 2011

Charles Jones wrote:

In the end, I bought myself a superdrive as a kind of early Christmas present. I chickened out, I suppose! I have now installed everything perfectly, and will get down to doing some work to justify (and pay for) all this kit!

We should set up some kind of mac community/lobby within proz to help each other out!

That´s it - you have all been a great help - my thanks to everyone.

All the best, Charles


Totally agree to mac lobby idea the discussion is very helpful - I've encountered the same problem here, looking for a Translation CAT tool that would work with my MacBook. Thanks for help!


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 00:37
Miembro 2009
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
Technical forums > Apple/Mac operating systems Dec 11, 2011

There actually already is one here: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems-68.html

 
Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a macbook air with Trados

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2021 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2021 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2021 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search