https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/212597-can_anyone_recommend_a_netbook.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can anyone recommend a netbook?
Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 22, 2011

I'd like to get a netbook which can be used when travelling or out and about, something very light and portable. I need it for email and internet access, working on Word documents and downloading photos. I don't want to spend a fortune, it won't be used THAT much. I'm just after something less bulky/heavy than my laptop.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
HP Netbook 210 Nov 22, 2011

Hi Lisa,

I bought an HP mini netbook 210 last year and have been really pleased with it. It's small enough to fit neatly in hand luggage when you fly with the budget airlines, yet big enough to still process documents if you need to. Capacity-wise, it seems to have enough memory to cope with the usual Office programs and Wordfast. I first saw someone using one of these at the ProZ conference in Vienna, and have been so glad I took the plunge. I do have a laptop as well, but this is
... See more
Hi Lisa,

I bought an HP mini netbook 210 last year and have been really pleased with it. It's small enough to fit neatly in hand luggage when you fly with the budget airlines, yet big enough to still process documents if you need to. Capacity-wise, it seems to have enough memory to cope with the usual Office programs and Wordfast. I first saw someone using one of these at the ProZ conference in Vienna, and have been so glad I took the plunge. I do have a laptop as well, but this is my mobile solution of choice when I'm out and about - much more convenient. I paid about £300, but they may have come down in price since then - or been superseded by a newer model for all I know!

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does indeed look a winner :) Nov 22, 2011

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Lisa,

I bought an HP mini netbook 210 last year and have been really pleased with it. It's small enough to fit neatly in hand luggage when you fly with the budget airlines, yet big enough to still process documents if you need to. Capacity-wise, it seems to have enough memory to cope with the usual Office programs and Wordfast. I first saw someone using one of these at the ProZ conference in Vienna, and have been so glad I took the plunge. I do have a laptop as well, but this is my mobile solution of choice when I'm out and about - much more convenient. I paid about £300, but they may have come down in price since then - or been superseded by a newer model for all I know!

All the best,

Claire

Hi Claire,
Thanks very much for your recommendation. I've just taken a look at it on Amazon and the reviews are indeed excellent. Thanks, I didn't quite know where to begin. I've only ever bought Dell or Sony and their offerings were more than I really wanted to spend. The HP claims 10 hours +/- battery life. Do you find it lives up to that promise?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Battery life Nov 22, 2011

Hi Lisa,

Yes, it certainly seems to last a long time; I haven't timed it but it definitely isn't an issue when you go on a flight - it works fine whilst you're hanging around at the airport, then on the plane, and then some - so I've no reason to suppose it wouldn't work for ten hours. I used it on a 4-hour train journey up to Cheshire the other week and it was still going strong when I arrived.

My son is my computer guru (used to have a temporary job in Curry's before
... See more
Hi Lisa,

Yes, it certainly seems to last a long time; I haven't timed it but it definitely isn't an issue when you go on a flight - it works fine whilst you're hanging around at the airport, then on the plane, and then some - so I've no reason to suppose it wouldn't work for ten hours. I used it on a 4-hour train journey up to Cheshire the other week and it was still going strong when I arrived.

My son is my computer guru (used to have a temporary job in Curry's before he graduated!) and he recommended it to me.

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What a handy son :) Nov 22, 2011

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Lisa,

My son is my computer guru (used to have a temporary job in Curry's before he graduated!) and he recommended it to me.

All the best,

Claire

Excellent, thank you so much Claire.

Dooblisys
Dooblisys
France
Local time: 05:41
English to French
Samsung Nov 22, 2011

Hi,

You may also be interested in the new Samsung models: I bought an "old" Samsung NC10 in 2009, and haven't been in trouble with it ever since. Perfect for work while traveling, light and small, and in my opinion more reliable than HP.

All the best,

Olivier

Best Note Book Nov 23, 2011

Hey lisa,

According to my opinion HP mini netbook is best option for you. One of my friend is also decide to buy HP mini netbook due to its small size, lite weight and fast processing.

Thanks

Kelly Venz
Kelly Venz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:41
Member (2010)
French to English
Samsung Nov 23, 2011

I have an "old" Samsung NC10 (I got it about 2 years ago) and it is a gem. I don't use it much for translation work but for teaching (videos, listening activites etc) and it works fine- it is also very light, which is important for me since I'm travelling from place to place. Battery life is excellent. The only thing I'm not 100% happy with are the speakers- the sound is not very loud, but I use portable speakers anyway.
One thing to look out for with Netbooks is whether there is one o
... See more
I have an "old" Samsung NC10 (I got it about 2 years ago) and it is a gem. I don't use it much for translation work but for teaching (videos, listening activites etc) and it works fine- it is also very light, which is important for me since I'm travelling from place to place. Battery life is excellent. The only thing I'm not 100% happy with are the speakers- the sound is not very loud, but I use portable speakers anyway.
One thing to look out for with Netbooks is whether there is one or two SHIFT keys- my netbook has two and believe me it does make a different when you type! Though most models nowdays have shift keys on both ends of the keyboard.
My 2 cents
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HP/Samsung Nov 23, 2011

HP and Samsung seem to be leading the pack here

Thanks Kelly I absolutely take your point re. the Shift key.

It would seem that netbooks are on their way out, most of the reviews I've read on them are old and the move is definitely towards the tablet, although having had a few gos on the iPad2 last summer it drove me mad trying to type on it, plus you can't seem to be able to download photos to it. In t
... See more
HP and Samsung seem to be leading the pack here

Thanks Kelly I absolutely take your point re. the Shift key.

It would seem that netbooks are on their way out, most of the reviews I've read on them are old and the move is definitely towards the tablet, although having had a few gos on the iPad2 last summer it drove me mad trying to type on it, plus you can't seem to be able to download photos to it. In the end I wrote it off as just a very large mobile 'phone/very expensive toy [ducking for cover - I realise it has many fans]. Perhaps I'm missing something...

Back to netbooks, it's just a question of pinning down exactly which one, I'm currently utterly convinced by arguments in favour of both HP and Samsung.
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
convertible tablet? Nov 23, 2011

Hi Lisa,

I've currently got my eye on one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY

which is an Android tablet that converts into a netbook by clipping on a keyboard. I am thinking of it mostly for non-work purposes, but thought it might be useful when taking notes at cour
... See more
Hi Lisa,

I've currently got my eye on one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY

which is an Android tablet that converts into a netbook by clipping on a keyboard. I am thinking of it mostly for non-work purposes, but thought it might be useful when taking notes at courses/conferences etc. For serious work, I'm not sure how good Android would be as an operating system, but it does look like a nice piece of kit...

Hear that, Santa?
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tablet v Notebook Nov 23, 2011

Angela Dickson wrote:

Hear that, Santa?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but a friend of mine always tells her children that Santa doesn't do electronic goods. She seems to know what she's talking about

One of the minuses of tablets as far as I'm concerned is the price. This is £100 more than a notebook and I wonder what it actually offers to justify that. Anyone?

I wish the product specs on Amazon told you what the weights were.

Simon Lewis
Simon Lewis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
Italian to English
Other options Nov 23, 2011

I hate to advocate enriching the estate of Steve Jobs, but the macbook airs are actually excellent machines these days. But you pay a hell of a premium for the extra specs ...

Another "outside the box" option is a kindle fire - amazon is selling them below cost to stick it to apple (and build up the user base of people buying their ebooks), but I don't know when they'll be available in the UK. Only USD 199 across the pond.

Netbooks are all much of a muchness if you're w
... See more
I hate to advocate enriching the estate of Steve Jobs, but the macbook airs are actually excellent machines these days. But you pay a hell of a premium for the extra specs ...

Another "outside the box" option is a kindle fire - amazon is selling them below cost to stick it to apple (and build up the user base of people buying their ebooks), but I don't know when they'll be available in the UK. Only USD 199 across the pond.

Netbooks are all much of a muchness if you're willing to settle for a screen which is only 600 px tall - I would say do the rounds of the electrical retailers and choose on the basis of the best deal. Battery life may be the one deciding factor, I don't know which is best. I find theregister.co.uk very good for UK-centric hardware reviews, they have very thorough testing and comparisons of stuff like battery life
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kindle etc Nov 23, 2011

Simon Lewis wrote:

Netbooks are all much of a muchness if you're willing to settle for a screen which is only 600 px tall - I would say do the rounds of the electrical retailers and choose on the basis of the best deal. Battery life may be the one deciding factor, I don't know which is best. I find theregister.co.uk very good for UK-centric hardware reviews, they have very thorough testing and comparisons of stuff like battery life

Thanks Simon. Will check out that website.

You've hit the nail on the head, I can't quite bring myself to buy Mac anymore, haven't done for 10+ years.

I've looked into the Kindle fire but it's not available in the UK, which doesn't have the cloud network (or whatever the proper technical term is) for it and apparently won't do in the near future. As far as I can make out the Kindle options currently available in the UK are basically just e-readers.

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second the Macbook Air Nov 23, 2011

Simon Lewis wrote:

I now use a 13" Macbook Air as my primary computer. It's my first Mac and I couldn't be happier. The 11" would qualify as a netbook and be basically the same as the 13". In my eyes it's the best computer I have ever had and wholly worth the premium.

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Price Nov 23, 2011

I'm afraid that nothing preceded by the word 'Mac' or 'i' competes on price though. I'm not looking for my main machine. I already have 2 laptops for work. I'm looking for something small, light and good value (around the £300 mark) for when I'm away from home. That's all.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone recommend a netbook?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »