https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/212468-how_long_do_you_keep_your_pc-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How long do you keep your PC?
Thread poster: sayemonne
mygis
mygis
Local time: 17:40
Depends on what you want to use it for. Nov 22, 2011

Hi,
Usually I conduct training requiring his machine performance. For the past years I have been using notebooks with big screens. I always make sure I buy them with a three years 3/3/3 warranty to make sure nothing happens during that time. After three years, if the machine is still running well, I still continue using and perhaps migrate to a bigger Hard disk.

If the notebook does not perform anymore, I just pass it to someone who is using it for typing or to do simple work.
... See more
Hi,
Usually I conduct training requiring his machine performance. For the past years I have been using notebooks with big screens. I always make sure I buy them with a three years 3/3/3 warranty to make sure nothing happens during that time. After three years, if the machine is still running well, I still continue using and perhaps migrate to a bigger Hard disk.

If the notebook does not perform anymore, I just pass it to someone who is using it for typing or to do simple work. I make sure I give him/her at least a 19" monitor with a good keyboard and mouse. It becomes a nice PC that can be used for another 3 years at least.

As for the PC, the end of its life is usually when the motherboard is dead or there are no more spare-parts to heal it. The longest I have kept a PC was 8 years until I did not have space to put it and gave it away.

I ope this would help.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:40
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Why I use laptop Nov 23, 2011

I actually have to use a laptop for health reasons - I have a chronic upper back pain and am on very strong pain killers because of that. I could not survive even two hours sitting by the desk, so instead I recline on a pile of cushions on my bed and that would be very difficult to do while using a desktop.

Also, I have family in Portugal and we visit them every year for a month or so, therefore portability is a must.

All in all I am happy with the setup. I pay extra i
... See more
I actually have to use a laptop for health reasons - I have a chronic upper back pain and am on very strong pain killers because of that. I could not survive even two hours sitting by the desk, so instead I recline on a pile of cushions on my bed and that would be very difficult to do while using a desktop.

Also, I have family in Portugal and we visit them every year for a month or so, therefore portability is a must.

All in all I am happy with the setup. I pay extra insurance for my laptop and it has to be repaired or exchanged for a new one within 10 days while providing me with a loaner laptop while my machine is away. I would not dream of not having an extended guarantee. And to be honest, so far I have saved a hefty sum due to write-offs as the insurance premiums have amounted to far less than the price of a brand new laptop (or laptops in my case).

It is true that an expensive model does not necessarily mean a better quality but I always go for the best speed possible and that at the moment is i7 which would be difficult to get if I chose a cheaper model. I also like a good screen and a decent graphics card. And if my insurance pays for it - why not?
Collapse

mygis
mygis
Local time: 17:40
My suggestion Nov 24, 2011

Hi Burrell,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope everything would be better in the near future.
My suggestion would be to buy something that does not cost more than USD1,100.00 before tax. Choose a monitor which is about 14.x" or the most 15.x" . Remember that bigger is the screen heavier is the machine.

As for the warranty issue, make sure you see this: warranty 3/3/3 meaning that during the three years after purchase, they should come to your house (
... See more
Hi Burrell,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope everything would be better in the near future.
My suggestion would be to buy something that does not cost more than USD1,100.00 before tax. Choose a monitor which is about 14.x" or the most 15.x" . Remember that bigger is the screen heavier is the machine.

As for the warranty issue, make sure you see this: warranty 3/3/3 meaning that during the three years after purchase, they should come to your house (registered address), they will come with the spare-parts and repair your notebook on the spot.
Some models might come with international warranty, but I am not sure how that can be stretched out.

As for the brand, I have my own choice, however, as I know these companies differ from region to region in terms of quality and support.

I hope this would help.

Cheers.
Lyes
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long do you keep your PC?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »