Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How long do you keep your PC?
Thread poster: sayemonne
mygis
mygis
Local time: 09:40
Depends on what you want to use it for. Nov 22, 2011

Hi,
Usually I conduct training requiring his machine performance. For the past years I have been using notebooks with big screens. I always make sure I buy them with a three years 3/3/3 warranty to make sure nothing happens during that time. After three years, if the machine is still running well, I still continue using and perhaps migrate to a bigger Hard disk.

If the notebook does not perform anymore, I just pass it to someone who is using it for typing or to do simple work.
... See more
Hi,
Usually I conduct training requiring his machine performance. For the past years I have been using notebooks with big screens. I always make sure I buy them with a three years 3/3/3 warranty to make sure nothing happens during that time. After three years, if the machine is still running well, I still continue using and perhaps migrate to a bigger Hard disk.

If the notebook does not perform anymore, I just pass it to someone who is using it for typing or to do simple work. I make sure I give him/her at least a 19" monitor with a good keyboard and mouse. It becomes a nice PC that can be used for another 3 years at least.

As for the PC, the end of its life is usually when the motherboard is dead or there are no more spare-parts to heal it. The longest I have kept a PC was 8 years until I did not have space to put it and gave it away.

I ope this would help.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:40
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Why I use laptop Nov 23, 2011

I actually have to use a laptop for health reasons - I have a chronic upper back pain and am on very strong pain killers because of that. I could not survive even two hours sitting by the desk, so instead I recline on a pile of cushions on my bed and that would be very difficult to do while using a desktop.

Also, I have family in Portugal and we visit them every year for a month or so, therefore portability is a must.

All in all I am happy with the setup. I pay extra i
... See more
I actually have to use a laptop for health reasons - I have a chronic upper back pain and am on very strong pain killers because of that. I could not survive even two hours sitting by the desk, so instead I recline on a pile of cushions on my bed and that would be very difficult to do while using a desktop.

Also, I have family in Portugal and we visit them every year for a month or so, therefore portability is a must.

All in all I am happy with the setup. I pay extra insurance for my laptop and it has to be repaired or exchanged for a new one within 10 days while providing me with a loaner laptop while my machine is away. I would not dream of not having an extended guarantee. And to be honest, so far I have saved a hefty sum due to write-offs as the insurance premiums have amounted to far less than the price of a brand new laptop (or laptops in my case).

It is true that an expensive model does not necessarily mean a better quality but I always go for the best speed possible and that at the moment is i7 which would be difficult to get if I chose a cheaper model. I also like a good screen and a decent graphics card. And if my insurance pays for it - why not?
Collapse

mygis
mygis
Local time: 09:40
My suggestion Nov 24, 2011

Hi Burrell,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope everything would be better in the near future.
My suggestion would be to buy something that does not cost more than USD1,100.00 before tax. Choose a monitor which is about 14.x" or the most 15.x" . Remember that bigger is the screen heavier is the machine.

As for the warranty issue, make sure you see this: warranty 3/3/3 meaning that during the three years after purchase, they should come to your house (
... See more
Hi Burrell,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope everything would be better in the near future.
My suggestion would be to buy something that does not cost more than USD1,100.00 before tax. Choose a monitor which is about 14.x" or the most 15.x" . Remember that bigger is the screen heavier is the machine.

As for the warranty issue, make sure you see this: warranty 3/3/3 meaning that during the three years after purchase, they should come to your house (registered address), they will come with the spare-parts and repair your notebook on the spot.
Some models might come with international warranty, but I am not sure how that can be stretched out.

As for the brand, I have my own choice, however, as I know these companies differ from region to region in terms of quality and support.

I hope this would help.

Cheers.
Lyes
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long do you keep your PC?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »