New laptop works fine but lost wifi on the old
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:19
Dutch to English
Sep 11, 2011

This is probably just a coincidence, but I have just got a new laptop with 64 bit windows 7. All is fine with it, but now my old laptop running 32 bit vista won't hook up to the wifi. Says it can't find the router. Tried updating and reinstalling the drivers, etc. to no avail. Also tried installing an external wireless adapter (which works fine with my XP desktop). One thing I tried that isn't working is restoring windows to an earlier system date. This keeps failing on me. Any ideas?

[Ed
... See more
This is probably just a coincidence, but I have just got a new laptop with 64 bit windows 7. All is fine with it, but now my old laptop running 32 bit vista won't hook up to the wifi. Says it can't find the router. Tried updating and reinstalling the drivers, etc. to no avail. Also tried installing an external wireless adapter (which works fine with my XP desktop). One thing I tried that isn't working is restoring windows to an earlier system date. This keeps failing on me. Any ideas?

[Edited at 2011-09-11 15:23 GMT]
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:19
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
How old is your router? Sep 11, 2011

Could your router be failing? I used to have similar problems with my home network - some of our computers would connect normally to the network and the internet, others would connect to the network but for no discernable reason would not connect to the internet. Turned out the router was failing. New router, no more problems.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
router age Sep 11, 2011

Router's nearly brand-new. Shouldn't be a problem...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check WiFI security settings Sep 11, 2011

You could have by chance changed the visibility of the network, which could be a problem.
There can also be a different security protocoll in use - like WEP, WPA PSK or similar.
Or you just switched the frequency range - from the standard 2,4 GHz, utilized in older devices, to the 5G range for newer devices.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:19
Italian to English
Inexpert suggestion Sep 11, 2011

I have been having problems with my router: accessing shared files or printer on a laptop was causing it to crash.
My son (an IT techie), on a visit from Chicago, reset it to factory settings and everything is fine.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Inexpert question Sep 12, 2011

Thanks all,

Sorry for wasting your time. I forgot to do the first thing you should always do when stuff like this happens: turn the thing off and then on again, in this case the router. Russell's suggestion reminded me of this!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er... lol? Sep 12, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Thanks all,

Sorry for wasting your time. I forgot to do the first thing you should always do when stuff like this happens: turn the thing off and then on again, in this case the router. Russell's suggestion reminded me of this!

Excuse my laughter, it's just due to my relief that it's not just me that invariably comes a cropper with this type of teccy oversight - it happens to me all the time with my wifi setup.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New laptop works fine but lost wifi on the old

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »