https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/204568-hotmail_addresses.html

Hotmail addresses
Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 3, 2011

I find that email messages I send to my sister in America and my sister-in-law in France are often (but not always) not received. Both of them have hotmail addresses.
This doesn't happen with my clients, none of whom have hotmail addresses.
Can anyone explain why/how this happens and where my unreceived messages go?
Is there anything I can do to ensure that my emails to these hotmail addresses are safely received?
Thanks in advance,
Jenny

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:00
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes, it happens quite often. Aug 3, 2011

The same goes for Google mail, freenet and other freebies. The reason is that the majority of all spam is sent via such addresses, and cable providers and phone companies will filter them out, especially if the emails contain attachments or particular key words. Broadband subscribers usually buy virus protection with their contracts, and the cable / phone company will filter your emails as a part of their service.

This can turn into a problem if your editor or translator is using s
... See more
The same goes for Google mail, freenet and other freebies. The reason is that the majority of all spam is sent via such addresses, and cable providers and phone companies will filter them out, especially if the emails contain attachments or particular key words. Broadband subscribers usually buy virus protection with their contracts, and the cable / phone company will filter your emails as a part of their service.

This can turn into a problem if your editor or translator is using such email addresses. Sometimes they arrive several days late, sometimes they don't arrive at all.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Nicole Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for the helpful information, Nicole.
So, does this mean that MY messages are being filtered out by the ADDRESSEES' hotmail ? It is not I, but the addressees of the messages, who have a hotmail address. Or does MY system filter them out before the addressee gets them? And is there anything I can do about it - other than persuade these two ladies to get a different email address ??!! (Unlikely to succeed, I think ...)
Best wishes,
Jenny

[Edited at 2011-08-03
... See more
Thanks for the helpful information, Nicole.
So, does this mean that MY messages are being filtered out by the ADDRESSEES' hotmail ? It is not I, but the addressees of the messages, who have a hotmail address. Or does MY system filter them out before the addressee gets them? And is there anything I can do about it - other than persuade these two ladies to get a different email address ??!! (Unlikely to succeed, I think ...)
Best wishes,
Jenny

[Edited at 2011-08-03 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:00
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Weird. Aug 3, 2011

Jenny Forbes wrote:
So, does this mean that MY messages are being filtered out by the ADDRESSEES' hotmail ? It is not I, but the addressees of the messages, who have a hotmail address.

Sorry for the mix-up, I didn't read your post properly.

I don't know anything about receiving emails ON hotmail accounts, but several email accounts are included at no extra charge in every contract with the phone / cable / mobile phone company.

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Hotmail's safe senders' list Aug 3, 2011

Ask your sister or sister-in-law to add your email address or domain to Hotmail's safe senders list. This is found under Options►Safe and blocked senders►Safe senders

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Quoi? Aug 3, 2011

quoi? wrote:

Ask your sister or sister-in-law to add your email address or domain to Hotmail's safe senders list. This is found under Options►Safe and blocked senders►Safe senders

Thank you. I'll ask them to do that - but, of course, they may not get my message!!
Baffling, isn't it?
Best wishes,
Jenny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hotmail addresses

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »