Wireless on laptop connects to hubs but can't use internet
Thread poster: Mark Thompson
Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 01:18
Japanese to English
Frustrating... Aug 3, 2011

I tried your suggestion, but "the page cannot be displayed" again.

Man, that is frustrating! But, I am the same way: I would much rather resolve problems like this myself!

One thing: The IP address I gave you for Google worked for me, but Google is so huge that maybe they use different IP addresses/address ranges for different areas of the world...? I am in Japan, so maybe that IP only works for my area...?

If you know the IP of some other Web site, please try that too! If not, then you can go to this Web site: http://tracert.com/resolver.html and enter a domain name (like yahoo.com or google.com) and click the Resolve button: This will give you an accurate IP address for whatever domain you enter. Then, try accessing that IP with your laptop browser...

I found a bazillion Web site forums where users have this problem, so it is definitely a common one! In some cases, the laptop/device eventually connected after several minutes...could this be a simple timing issue? You might also try just waiting 5-10 minutes after you enter the password/key of the Wi-Fi spot you are using, and see if it eventually makes a connection...it is a tedious exercise, but maybe all that is required is more time! My girlfriend&rsuqo;s laptop takes almost 10 minutes to connect to the internet through her Wi-Fi(!)...maybe that is what is happening here...

I wish I had an easy answer for you...:(
MGrant

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:18
French to English
+ ...
Things to check... Aug 3, 2011

- Is your antivirus/firewall is getting in the way? If you disable your antivirus/firewall (strictly the firewall, but it may be part of your antivirus package), do you connect properly?
- It's possible that your machine is not properly detecting/supporting the type of security used by the network (WEP, WPA etc) -- in addition to entering the correct passcode, your connection also needs to be set to use the same security protocol as the router you're connecting to. This is usually detected
... See more
- Is your antivirus/firewall is getting in the way? If you disable your antivirus/firewall (strictly the firewall, but it may be part of your antivirus package), do you connect properly?
- It's possible that your machine is not properly detecting/supporting the type of security used by the network (WEP, WPA etc) -- in addition to entering the correct passcode, your connection also needs to be set to use the same security protocol as the router you're connecting to. This is usually detected automatically, but it's possible that something goes wrong in this detection.
- Are you actually "allowed" to use the networks you're trying to connect to? I assume that the problem is that you are trying to connect to networks that you actually have persmission to connect to (and so nobody will have put measures in place to prevent you from connecting/using the connection)

Empirical observation: I've also seen this happen when connecting to low-signal networks, though I confess I'm not sure what the technical reason is why signal strength should make a difference providing you can actually connect.
Collapse

kalap (X)
kalap (X)
Other things to check Aug 3, 2011

Maybe this is a silly remark, but did you enable the wifi physically? (the ((!)) button)

Can you connect your laptop to the router with a cable? Are pages showing up normally? If so, this excludes IE errors.

How about your e-mails? Can you retrieve them normally into Outlook Express or Thunderbird?

[Edited at 2011-08-03 04:29 GMT]

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:18
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Keep the suggestions coming Aug 3, 2011

Thanks guys for this great support!

Michael I've pinged different IP addresses locally and tried several, so it's not that.

Singal strength - no, I sat in a WiFi cafe last night, with strength "excellent" - 15 minutes connected and nothing.

Have disabled my firewall and tried - nothing.

Yes, my wifi is physically enabled !!!

My laptop connects to the internet perfectly using my 3G mobile modem, and any cable connection.

... See more
Thanks guys for this great support!

Michael I've pinged different IP addresses locally and tried several, so it's not that.

Singal strength - no, I sat in a WiFi cafe last night, with strength "excellent" - 15 minutes connected and nothing.

Have disabled my firewall and tried - nothing.

Yes, my wifi is physically enabled !!!

My laptop connects to the internet perfectly using my 3G mobile modem, and any cable connection.

I have tried Mozilla Firefox instead of IE, still nothing.

We continue. Where there's a will, there's a way!
Collapse

Alfonso Romero
Alfonso Romero  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check your network configuration Aug 12, 2011

Can you open a Command Prompt and type

ipconfig /all

then paste the readout here to see your network configuration?

[Edited at 2011-08-12 05:25 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Wireless card driver or firmware? Aug 12, 2011

Can you re-install the driver and/or reflash the firmware (if any)? I've seen this resolve issues with other components that have worked perfectly in one mode and not at all in another.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:18
German to English
+ ...
This may be repeating kalap's suggestion.... Aug 12, 2011

But thought I'd mention it anyway...

I was once unable to connect my laptop to wi-fi and after a countless calls to the technical support, someone asked me if I'd disabled the wi-fi via the F11 key (or thereabouts). The 'blue' function on this key cycled between wifi / bluetooth / neither.

I don't know if that applies for you, but just in case...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wireless on laptop connects to hubs but can't use internet

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »