https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/201029-how_to_create_accents_on_laptop_or_netbook_computers-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
how to create accents on laptop or netbook computers?
Thread poster: Carolingua
Carolingua
Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Jun 14, 2011

Maria Anna and Roberto--

I've tried your suggestions but unfortunately they don't work on my laptop--maybe because I have a smaller keyboard (mine is a netbook--I only use it for "emergencies" since it is much less powerful than my main desktop). May I ask what brand of laptop do you use? If I buy a laptop in the future, I would like to get one that has these options.

Anton--
I am very intrigued with your solution. I will contact you about it.

Than
... See more
Maria Anna and Roberto--

I've tried your suggestions but unfortunately they don't work on my laptop--maybe because I have a smaller keyboard (mine is a netbook--I only use it for "emergencies" since it is much less powerful than my main desktop). May I ask what brand of laptop do you use? If I buy a laptop in the future, I would like to get one that has these options.

Anton--
I am very intrigued with your solution. I will contact you about it.

Thanks to everyone who shared what they do and you have suggested options so far.
Collapse

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:40
English to French
+ ...
Canadian French keyboard Jun 14, 2011

I installed Windows in English on my laptop and then added the Canadian French (Qwerty) keyboard (Control Panel - Language options) and made it default. This way, I have access to every accent I need (keys surrounding the Enter key) whether I type in French - à, è, ô, î, ü, ë, etc. - or in English - résumé, fiancé... There is a keyboard icon (or a langage bar, it's up to you) on the right corner of the screen, so if needed, a single click allow you to go from the Canadian French to the ... See more
I installed Windows in English on my laptop and then added the Canadian French (Qwerty) keyboard (Control Panel - Language options) and made it default. This way, I have access to every accent I need (keys surrounding the Enter key) whether I type in French - à, è, ô, î, ü, ë, etc. - or in English - résumé, fiancé... There is a keyboard icon (or a langage bar, it's up to you) on the right corner of the screen, so if needed, a single click allow you to go from the Canadian French to the US keyboard.

Another way of solving the problem is to simply connect your usual keyboard to the laptop... and put the laptop on a mesh stand for cooling and visual comfort!
Collapse

Gail Bond
Gail Bond  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Accent Composer Jun 14, 2011

I bought Accent Composer, it only costs £15/$25 and makes life much easier!

http://www.accentcomposer.com

HTH
Gail

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
New laptop Jun 14, 2011

If you are thinking of buying a new laptop, the new models have a broader keyboard which includes a numeric pad. Samsung, Sony and Toshiba, I think, all have models with such keypads (search Google images). I've just bought one for a very affordable price, fantastic resolution etc. and the keyboard also allows me to use all sort of shortcuts.

[Edited at 2011-06-14 09:43 GMT]

Alan Douglas (X)
Alan Douglas (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:40
Numeric keypad Jun 14, 2011

I have a French laptop with standard French AZERTY keyboad. Even this does not have É, Ç, Ÿ, — (long dash for reported conversation in French), or Spanish accented characters which I also use on a regular basis and gets "confused", particularly with regards to punctuation, when there are frequent language changes in more or less continuous text. It seems never to know whether to insert « » or " ". From time to time, ALT Codes are an unavoidable necessity (plus ctrl+caps key+space bar for ... See more
I have a French laptop with standard French AZERTY keyboad. Even this does not have É, Ç, Ÿ, — (long dash for reported conversation in French), or Spanish accented characters which I also use on a regular basis and gets "confused", particularly with regards to punctuation, when there are frequent language changes in more or less continuous text. It seems never to know whether to insert « » or " ". From time to time, ALT Codes are an unavoidable necessity (plus ctrl+caps key+space bar for a no-break space).

My solution was to purchase a separate numeric keypad, plug it into a USB hub (there are never enough ports on notepads or laptops). Problem solved. Mine is a Mobility Lab mini keypad, model n°: SKP-190H but any one will do. They are small, light in weight and inexpensive. It sits on the desk beside the laptop and can be ignored unless reuired.
Collapse

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
Use the Fn key and num lock Jun 14, 2011

... to activate the numeric keypad built into the keyboard and then use the alt key and codes as you normally would. Just remember to turn it off again for normal typing. Failing that, get a usb numeric keypad. They're fairly cheap and easy to use.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
USB keypad Jun 14, 2011

I had this problem a few years ago, and I found the Fn key solution to be cumbersome and annoying. I solved it in the end by buying a separate USB keypad. Much smaller than a separate keyboard, and it's no trouble to carry it around when I am carryin... See more
I had this problem a few years ago, and I found the Fn key solution to be cumbersome and annoying. I solved it in the end by buying a separate USB keypad. Much smaller than a separate keyboard, and it's no trouble to carry it around when I am carrying my laptop around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BMXYC8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000ATFP7&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=07RGTEYA3NK6J0KQZWQT
Collapse

Carolingua
Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
question re: separate number keypad Jun 14, 2011

Angela,

When you plug in your separate number keypad, do you need to click NUMlock to use it? My concern is that my keyboard does not have a NUMlock key. Since I'm using a 10-inch netbook (HP Mini 210-1070NR), the keyboard is a reduced version of a full-sized keyboard.

I may have to get a full-sized laptop--although I really like the versatility of the netbooks for quick trips--they are so light! Do any of you have netbooks too that you occasionally use for work (if o
... See more
Angela,

When you plug in your separate number keypad, do you need to click NUMlock to use it? My concern is that my keyboard does not have a NUMlock key. Since I'm using a 10-inch netbook (HP Mini 210-1070NR), the keyboard is a reduced version of a full-sized keyboard.

I may have to get a full-sized laptop--although I really like the versatility of the netbooks for quick trips--they are so light! Do any of you have netbooks too that you occasionally use for work (if only for emailing the client)? If so, which ones do you like and how did you get around the accent problem?
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Why so complicated? Jun 14, 2011

I am constantly switching between French and English on both my laptop and my desktop and in a variety of programs. I have French and English keyboard formats installed in Windows on both computers and switch between them by using keyboard shortcuts (ALT+SHIFT+9 for French AZERTY keyboard and ALT+SHIFT+0 for UK English QWERTY keyboard, but you can choose any shortcut combination you want). That is really fast and I can change layouts within a single word.

I touch type in both lang
... See more
I am constantly switching between French and English on both my laptop and my desktop and in a variety of programs. I have French and English keyboard formats installed in Windows on both computers and switch between them by using keyboard shortcuts (ALT+SHIFT+9 for French AZERTY keyboard and ALT+SHIFT+0 for UK English QWERTY keyboard, but you can choose any shortcut combination you want). That is really fast and I can change layouts within a single word.

I touch type in both languages, so don't usually need to look at the keyboard as I type. I am typing this on a keyboard marked out physically as AZERTY, which is quite useful as I know the English layout better. The laptop is marked out physically as QWERTY and I also have a spare QWERTY keyboard, which I can look at if I forget where a symbol is located.

I do find that it is quite difficult to type a word in either English or French while having the keyboard set to the other language. My fingers just seem to go to the keys according to the language they are typing in.

[Edited at 2011-06-14 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Not sure Jun 14, 2011

Carolingua wrote:

Angela,

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's necessary to press NumLock first. In fact, I'm typing this on my laptop, which doesn't appear to have a NumLock key. Thinking about it, there's no need for a NumLock key on a laptop if the number pad is accessible using the Fn key (as it is on mine).

I think the keypad has one character mapped to each key so there's no need for NumLock. (I'm not using it today as I am not typing in French, so don't have it to hand).

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
The pad usually has an integral num lock key Jun 14, 2011

There are various different types, but most have a num lock key top left.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Additional keyboard Jun 14, 2011

Costs 10 euros or 15 dollars or so. And: you can always type English on any other keyboard, no need to switch. The first time it takes about 3 days to switch from a QUERTY to an AZERTY keyboard, the second time much less (I touch type in both too, but avoid this whenever possible).
It even avoids backaches.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
US International Jun 14, 2011

I have been using US keyboards since the days of the PC-XT under DOS and the iconless Windows 2.01. That required Alt-XXX for accented letters in PageMaker 3.0.

Some time in the past, I think it was Windows 3.1 or 95, the US-International keyboard setting became necessary to allow accents to be typed directly in Portuguese.

Nowadays US-keyboards are hard to find in Brazil, most are ABNT, but I still get them. I can't imagine anyone typing accents with Alt-XXX after Wind
... See more
I have been using US keyboards since the days of the PC-XT under DOS and the iconless Windows 2.01. That required Alt-XXX for accented letters in PageMaker 3.0.

Some time in the past, I think it was Windows 3.1 or 95, the US-International keyboard setting became necessary to allow accents to be typed directly in Portuguese.

Nowadays US-keyboards are hard to find in Brazil, most are ABNT, but I still get them. I can't imagine anyone typing accents with Alt-XXX after Windows 3.1 or 95.

Now and then I write in my lame Italian, Spanish, or French, and my problem with accents involves more where to place them on words than how to do it on the keyboard. Though I can understand some 15-20% of Polish, I cannot write anything that makes sense in it, so I haven't sought a solution for its diacritics.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to create accents on laptop or netbook computers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »