https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/197294-how_do_i_start_a_terminology_database.html

How do I start a terminology database??
Thread poster: sicallear
Apr 21, 2011

Looking for a low-cost solution/tool in which I can create a terminology database.

- Source language is English.
- Multiple target languages.
- Preference to add definitions for source term.
- Preference to add style guide (correct use of upper/lower case).
- Search facility.

So, I'm not asking for much!!! ;o)

Needs to be a low cost solution as longer term we are looking at an intergrated system. This is a temporary tool intended to
... See more
Looking for a low-cost solution/tool in which I can create a terminology database.

- Source language is English.
- Multiple target languages.
- Preference to add definitions for source term.
- Preference to add style guide (correct use of upper/lower case).
- Search facility.

So, I'm not asking for much!!! ;o)

Needs to be a low cost solution as longer term we are looking at an intergrated system. This is a temporary tool intended to help us get our house in order.

PS, I guess that means the ability to export would be benefical too (even if it is just .csv or equivalent).
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:34
English to French
+ ...
Spreadsheet Apr 21, 2011

Use a spreadsheet. Or a database.

OpenOffice is free.

sicallear
sicallear
TOPIC STARTER
More info (on original post) Apr 21, 2011

Thanks, my initial thought was a spreadsheet.

I now have approx. 500 source-language terms in MS Excel.

My logic was that:

1. I can 'export' the data.
2. I can save at HTML then publish.

Any other suggestions or tips to improve on what I already have?

Julie Allison
Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Glossary reccommendation Apr 22, 2011

Dear Sicallear,

Every translation job you do and every new term you come across, keep a note of it. As our colleague said, a spreadsheet, Excel or Open Office are ideal as entries are easily rearranged in alphabetical order. Plus, these programmes have a search facility, so as your database grows you can enter a term in the search facility and it will take you straight to it - as long as it appears in your glossary, of course!...
See more
Dear Sicallear,

Every translation job you do and every new term you come across, keep a note of it. As our colleague said, a spreadsheet, Excel or Open Office are ideal as entries are easily rearranged in alphabetical order. Plus, these programmes have a search facility, so as your database grows you can enter a term in the search facility and it will take you straight to it - as long as it appears in your glossary, of course!

Also, if you visit www.translations2u.com, there is a facility to register interest in purchasing glossaries which are English/French, Spanish and Portuguese. There are legal and commercial glossaries and those covering other subjects. May be worth taking a look.

However, the most cost-effective way is to build your own, but buying someone others' may be a faster way of obtaining a reliable database with which to work.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TermX Pro Apr 23, 2011

I think you might like to try Graham P. Oxtoby's new TermX Pro (http://www.translex.co.uk/termXpro.html). He is the author of several very good dictionaries, such as the Comprehensive Dictionary of Industry & Technology, and has recently developed a simple program to manage your terminology.

The software can be used as a simple, reliable and affordable terminology manag... See more
I think you might like to try Graham P. Oxtoby's new TermX Pro (http://www.translex.co.uk/termXpro.html). He is the author of several very good dictionaries, such as the Comprehensive Dictionary of Industry & Technology, and has recently developed a simple program to manage your terminology.

The software can be used as a simple, reliable and affordable terminology management system for collecting general or specific terminology in various user-defined domains. The export features included in TermX allow the user to export data to PDF, RTF, XLS and TXT formats in order to manipulate that data using MS Excel and/or MS Access or to convert that data to various other formats like XML, HTML etc.

Conversely, existing termbases in CAT tools can be easily imported into TermX through MS Access and/or MS Excel so that TermX can be used as the central terminology repository for all of your CAT termbases. This is explained in the extensive help files.

The built-in glossary browser (for numerous internet glossaries and terminology sites) is a feature most translators will find very handy. Glossaries can be referenced directly from the main menu of TermX. The terminology viewer can be used in any Windows software, including MS Word etc. TermX Pro also has an attractive interface that is easy to understand and use. TermX Pro comes with a terminology extraction feature and an extended wildcard search utility (search for any term or string in both languages). Both the Viewer and Search utility can be used in a CAT tool or any other Windows software to look up terms and translations. TermX Pro comes with 15,000 terms (plus translations) in the field of IT and computers (i.e. MS Glossary, free of charge).

Price: 79.95 euro

Michael
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I start a terminology database??

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »