a good folders and files organisation for translators?
Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:23
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 17, 2011

dear colleagues,

I am relatively new and use SDL Trados Studio,

It is not obvious to organize in folders current and past translations, along with ads and quotes, test files, PO and invoices etc

today I spend too much time navigating through the folders and some folders are more or less synonymous.

What is the legal minimum to archive?

have a good day

Marie

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
legal minimum? Apr 17, 2011

Not quite sure what you mean with "legal minimum".
Surely this is up to you.

This is my folder structure, which works pretty well for me.

...CustomerName/date[2011_04_17]

If I work with Studio, I add another folder in the "Date" folder called "Studio".

For fast navigation I add all my regular clients to "Favourites". Obviously, I also have the contents of the entire folder indexed so that I can quickly search for files. I find Google Desk
... See more

If I work with Studio, I add another folder in the "Date" folder called "Studio".

For fast navigation I add all my regular clients to "Favourites". Obviously, I also have the contents of the entire folder indexed so that I can quickly search for files. I find Google Desktop very useful for this.

In addition to this, I keep the "Customers" folder and all its sub-folders in-sync with my Laptop. Useful tool for this is LiveMesh.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Same here Apr 17, 2011

Lutz Molderings wrote:

I do much the same. I have a main "Work" folder, with a subfolder for each client. Within the client folders, jobs are by date, i.e. Work/Company_X/2011_04_15_pet_food_brochure

Trados project files may be under Work/Company_X/Trados_project or Work/Company_X/2011_04_15_pet_food_brochure/Project depending on whether the project is for a single job or many jobs from the same client.

Inside a job folder, I'll usually have a couple of subfolders such as original files, TM, reference material, terminology and admin.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
thanks a lot, Apr 17, 2011

bonjour and thanks a lot,,

It will be very useful for me to adopt folder's style of much more experienced translators like you,

I'll have a look at Google Desktop very soon

Have a nice end of day!

Marie

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just one quick note Apr 17, 2011

Lutz Molderings wrote:

However, if you want to follow standard EN 15038, you should keep a source file folder, a folder for translated files, and a folder for translated+reviewed files. I.e. for each of the steps you should keep a set of files.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
My folder structure Apr 18, 2011

Project folder
The name consists of my internal project number, language pair, client and end client. Inside the project folder there are 4 other folders:

_orig
Contains all original files as I receive them from the client. Some names may be changed to avoid duplicates, otherwise no contents. Translatable files, TMs, client's wordcounts all go here. I NEVER open these files other than to unpack them if it's a zip file.

admin
This
... See more
Project folder
The name consists of my internal project number, language pair, client and end client. Inside the project folder there are 4 other folders:

_orig
Contains all original files as I receive them from the client. Some names may be changed to avoid duplicates, otherwise no contents. Translatable files, TMs, client's wordcounts all go here. I NEVER open these files other than to unpack them if it's a zip file.

admin
This is where I save all administration related documentation: wordcount logs, invoices, project specific instructions and so on.

arbetsfiler ("work files")
This is my work area, which almost exclusively contains translatable files in progress. May contain a sub-folder structure for Trados. TMs are stored elsewhere.

referens ("references")
All reference material goes here, mostly PDF print files.

ut ("outgoing files")
Anything I send to the client goes here. When I deliver, I copy the translation file/s from the work files directory to here, zip them to a delivery package and tag it with something informative. Just as in the _orig folder, I NEVER edit or even open these files once they have been sent to the client.
Collapse

Andrea Piu
Andrea Piu  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
the same Apr 19, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Lutz Molderings wrote:

However, if you want to follow standard EN 15038, you should keep a source file folder, a folder for translated files, and a folder for translated+reviewed files. I.e. for each of the steps you should keep a set of files.

This is exactly the way I organize my files, plus, I have a general folder inside the "work" one, called TMs, where I store all the TMs divided by field (marketing, IT, client's name, etc.), and another one called "admin", where I put all my invoices and a XLS file with all the paid and unpaid invoices with their related deadlines.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a good folders and files organisation for translators?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »