https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/196052-clients_using_excelfiles_with_one_column_for_ol_and_one_for_tl.html

Clients using excelfiles with one column for OL and one for TL
Thread poster: Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
Local time: 07:37
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 6, 2011

Hi all,

I have a client (agency) who mostly sends excel files and wants OL in one collumn and TL in the other. So far I have been very reluctant to take on anything but small jobs from this client partly due to the format which I find annoying.
Let me give a more detailed picture of the files:
They seem to be from a TM from the end client:
The contain tags (inserted here and there between word so that it is hard to use the search function when looking for a certai
... See more
Hi all,

I have a client (agency) who mostly sends excel files and wants OL in one collumn and TL in the other. So far I have been very reluctant to take on anything but small jobs from this client partly due to the format which I find annoying.
Let me give a more detailed picture of the files:
They seem to be from a TM from the end client:
The contain tags (inserted here and there between word so that it is hard to use the search function when looking for a certain expression to see if it is already in the document:
Also contain fussy and full matches.
Does anyone have a suggestion how to proceed with this type of files in a smooth way? Would it be possible to use a CAT for them somehow?
Thank you in advance for your input
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:37
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Different tools Apr 6, 2011

MemoQ allows to select specific columns to translate. Also, you can specify regular expressions that would mark tags as untranslatable.

You might also have a look at Okapi Rainbow. You could use it to parse the files to select the proper column and mark the tags.

While the learning curve is a bit steep here, the advantage is that once you get a pipeline working properly, you could probably use it automatically for future files, which would speed up file preparation.
... See more
MemoQ allows to select specific columns to translate. Also, you can specify regular expressions that would mark tags as untranslatable.

You might also have a look at Okapi Rainbow. You could use it to parse the files to select the proper column and mark the tags.

While the learning curve is a bit steep here, the advantage is that once you get a pipeline working properly, you could probably use it automatically for future files, which would speed up file preparation.

Please note, however, that Okapi does not have an internal Excel filter, so you would have to convert the files to csv first (provided they don't contain Excel formatting). This also can be automated (and called out from within Rainbow), but it is not trivial.
Collapse

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CATS Apr 6, 2011

Do these CAT:s also make it possible to give the client an excelfile? and would the tags from the OL be in the right place in the TL or would I have to change them manually?

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast too Apr 6, 2011

To do this in Wordfast classic:

- Copy the OL column to the TL column
- Hide the OL column (right click on the header, select hide)
- Translate with Wordfast (open an empty Word document and hit alt-down while the spreadsheet is open)
- Unhide the OL column (right click on the boundry of the hidden column, select unhide)

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
translate and export Apr 6, 2011

You can translate in any CAT-tool, then export the segment to a tab-delimited, and insert into the original Excel sheet.

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tab-delimited? Apr 6, 2011

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

You can translate in any CAT-tool, then export the segment to a tab-delimited, and insert into the original Excel sheet.

what is a tab delimited?

inserting every translated segemen in the right collmunt and row seems a bit tidous work though?

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Trados? Apr 6, 2011

Any suggestions on exactly how to proceed with this problem with trados?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
export Apr 6, 2011

Alexandra Lindqvist wrote:
inserting every translated segemen in the right collmunt and row seems a bit tidous work though?

Export the whole translated file to a tab-delimited TXT file.
Open it in Excel.
Delete the left-hand column.
Paste the right-hand column next to the source in the original XLS file.

(It actually takes less time than it takes to describe the process.)

[Редактировалось 2011-04-06 16:27 GMT]

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry for my ignorance Apr 6, 2011

but are files you export from for ex trados automaticly tab-delimited

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
excel columns Apr 6, 2011

I would:
- copy original column into target column
- hide original column
- Open in Tag Editor or Studio. Translate. Save as excel
- Unhide original column

Just noticed that my advice is almost identical to Terry's. Sorry!

[Edited at 2011-04-06 17:05 GMT]

lucas olsson
lucas olsson
German to Norwegian
You can translate it with any CAT tool. Apr 6, 2011

You can also translate it quite easy in any CAT tool by copying the row you want and paste it in an empty doc. file and then translate it with any CAT tool, afterwards you just copy paste it from the finished doc. file into the row in the excel file you wish.

At least this is the easy way if you are not sure if your CAT tool works with excel files and it should be working with any CAT tool.

Best regards

Lucas

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copying columns Apr 7, 2011

Copying the source collumn to the TL collumn sounds like a great idea. However this can not be done for every segment since this would mean that I would loose the matches in the TL collumn. I guess the idea would be to copy only the no match segments. How would I deal with the fuzzy matches though I guess I would have to check the "match rate" during or after the real translation.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Ask the client Apr 7, 2011

Alexandra Lindqvist wrote:

Copying the source collumn to the TL collumn sounds like a great idea. However this can not be done for every segment since this would mean that I would loose the matches in the TL collumn. I guess the idea would be to copy only the no match segments. How would I deal with the fuzzy matches though I guess I would have to check the "match rate" during or after the real translation.

Ask the client for the TM - then you would not need to worry about the matches in the TL column.

Alexandra Lindqvist
Alexandra Lindqvist
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Apr 7, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Ask the client for the TM - then you would not need to worry about the matches in the TL column.

Thats ture! they may not have it though it might only be the end client. Since have reasons to suspect that this client (Agency) does not even have trados hinted by the fact that they count matches and by som online CAT count feature.

This client actually gave me a cleaned (?) target language file once (to proof read) and asked me to make it bilingual by using The EN-SV trados-TM from client who sent the TM to late for it to be used by the translator! First I was rather "pissed" at such a suggestion but then I startd laughing thinking they might just as well ask me to fly. So they clearly dont have a clue of how trados works!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clients using excelfiles with one column for OL and one for TL

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »