Thread poster: nordiste
nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:56
English to French
+ ...
Mar 30, 2011

Do you know of any software to read an INX file ? In the same way as there are PDF readers ?

I translate with Wordfast Pro, which is fine for this type of file, but I would like to be able to see the result in PDF format or any similar printing format. There are sometimes linebreak problems and I cannot handle them properly without seing the actual file.

I'd prefer not to buy Adobe Acrobat nor Indesign - I don't need to edit INX files, just read them.

Th
... See more
Do you know of any software to read an INX file ? In the same way as there are PDF readers ?

I translate with Wordfast Pro, which is fine for this type of file, but I would like to be able to see the result in PDF format or any similar printing format. There are sometimes linebreak problems and I cannot handle them properly without seing the actual file.

I'd prefer not to buy Adobe Acrobat nor Indesign - I don't need to edit INX files, just read them.

Thanks for any free or unexpensive suggestion.
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Adobe InDesign Mar 30, 2011

will do the trick

As far as I know InDesign can be used 30 days for free in a trial mode.

[Edited at 2011-03-30 19:16 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:56
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Mar 30, 2011

http://tinyurl.com/672m5sm

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More permanent solution needed please Mar 31, 2011

Sergei Tumanov wrote:

will do the trick

As far as I know InDesign can be used 30 days for free in a trial mode.

[Edited at 2011-03-30 19:16 GMT]

It's not just for one project.

christela (X)
christela (X)
Then buy InDesign Mar 31, 2011

It's not very expensive.

If English is the source text, you'll always have problems with the length of the text, and you'll have to adapt text boxes and to set page ends differently.

In comparison to Powerpoint, if there is not enough place in a column, for instance, the column will continue on the next page and therefore, in some cases, take a new page. If you cannot control the result, you'll run into problems.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Find an agency... Mar 31, 2011

I do not see a point in buying InDesign, if you are not going to edit the target files. And I do not see a point in editing them, if you are not paid extra for DTP work...

What I would do is to seek a friendly ad agency - it does not have to be local, as you can do it online, but it might help... Get them to sign an NDA for you and pay them for printing the files to PDFs - I'm sure they will charge peanuts, as it takes about three minutes per file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INX reader ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »