https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/195259-need_help_to_open_audio_recording_files_for_transcription_via_filezilla.html

Need help to open audio recording files for transcription via Filezilla
Thread poster: mszlilian
mszlilian
mszlilian  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 18:03
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 27, 2011

Asking help for opening a tpf file for transcription
I have problems with opening audio recording files for transcription via Filezilla
How to use Notepad or Notepad ++ to open each text file ? How to listen to the wav files ? Could you give some useful links to support a transcriber ?

Thank you in advance

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:03
Dutch to English
narrow it down . . . Mar 27, 2011

There are several questions hidden in your request.
I'm not sure what a tpf file is in your context, but maybe i can help with the other issues.

Filezilla is an ftp transfer utility, not any kind of interface for opening a file. You transfer the file, save it to your system and open the file with some other software.

A text file would be opened by Notepad or Word, or whatever your preferred text editor is.

If you have a wav file, i.e. a sound file, t
... See more
I'm not sure what a tpf file is in your context, but maybe i can help with the other issues.

Filezilla is an ftp transfer utility, not any kind of interface for opening a file. You transfer the file, save it to your system and open the file with some other software.

A text file would be opened by Notepad or Word, or whatever your preferred text editor is.

If you have a wav file, i.e. a sound file, then you need an audio player. This can be as simple as Windows Media Player, or you can download transcription software that allows you to control the speed, stop and start, etc. Try this one: ( http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html )

HTH
Frank
Collapse

mszlilian
Hungary
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
narrow it down Mar 27, 2011

Thank you .
First of all, how to transfer and save the file to my computer ? There is a directory and I have just downloaded the file. C: hu-hu -KrassimirHalatchev 1.2 zip distant file
I am doing that sort of work for the first time.
Lilian

Frank van Thienen wrote:

If you have a wav file, i.e. a sound file, then you need an audio player. This can be as simple as Windows Media Player, or you can download transcription software that allows you to control the speed, stop and start, etc. Try this one: ( http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html )

HTH
Frank

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some ideas Mar 27, 2011

mszlilian wrote:
Asking help for opening a tpf file for transcription. I have problems with opening audio recording files for transcription via Filezilla.

I don't know about TPF files, but FileZilla is an FTP program -- is that what you mean? FileZilla is just a way of transferring files from your client's computer to your computer. You can transfer any type of file -- the files aren't called "FTP files" (except perhaps if the client refers to them like that, to indicate that you should get them using an FTP program such as FileZilla).

So, FileZilla is used to get the files onto your computer. If you want to open these files, you have to open them using other programs (and not from within FileZilla).

How to use Notepad or Notepad ++ to open each text file? How to listen to the wav files? Could you give some useful links to support a transcriber?

Can't you open text files by double-clicking on them? Or, if you're using Notepad++, can't you use the "File > Open" method (or similar)?

For transcription, I recommend Express Scribe (it's free):
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

mszlilian
Hungary
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply Mar 27, 2011

[

O.K. I managed to transfer the files to my computer, now I am trying to open them with Notepad , unfortunately in winrar occured problems ( archives ) What to do next ?

Lilian

quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

mszlilian wrote:
Asking help for opening a tpf file for transcription. I have problems with opening audio recording files for transcription via Filezilla.

I don't know about TPF files, but FileZilla is an FTP program -- is that what you mean? FileZilla is just a way of transferring files from your client's computer to your computer. You can transfer any type of file -- the files aren't called "FTP files" (except perhaps if the client refers to them like that, to indicate that you should get them using an FTP program such as FileZilla).

So, FileZilla is used to get the files onto your computer. If you want to open these files, you have to open them using other programs (and not from within FileZilla).

How to use Notepad or Notepad ++ to open each text file? How to listen to the wav files? Could you give some useful links to support a transcriber?

Can't you open text files by double-clicking on them? Or, if you're using Notepad++, can't you use the "File > Open" method (or similar)?

For transcription, I recommend Express Scribe (it's free):
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

[/quote]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Zip files Mar 27, 2011

mszlilian wrote:
O.K. I managed to transfer the files to my computer, now I am trying to open them with Notepad , unfortunately in winrar occured problems ( archives ) What to do next ?

1. Are these files ZIP files or RAR files?

2. The word "archive" is just computer-speak for ZIP files (or RAR files).

3. Make sure that the file size of the file on the client's server is the same as the size on your computer -- if not, then it may indicate that the file did not transfer completely, which would result in unzipping errors (e.g. WinRAR errors).

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:03
English
+ ...
Did you extract the files or are they still in the archive? Mar 28, 2011

mszlilian wrote:

How did you open the files? If you have just opened the archive in Windows, the text files you see might still be in the archive. Don’t open them from there. A lot of strange things can happen if you try to do that. Copy the files you need to your hard drive and then open those copies.

mszlilian
Hungary
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
file size Mar 28, 2011

Yes, you are right . The original's size is 422 712 558 Kn
The size of the file on my hardver is 268 324 KB "There is no end of the archive ."

Something went wrong with the downloading.

Lilian
mszlilian wrote:

3. Make sure that the file size of the file on the client's server is the same as the size on your computer -- if not, then it may indicate that the file did not transfer completely, which would result in unzipping errors (e.g. WinRAR errors).
[/quote]

mszlilian
Hungary
Polish to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UTF-8 coding Apr 2, 2011

Thank you very much for quick help . Now I have the audio files , short messages in Hungarian
Task : NVC transription
I have to type the Hungarian audio message in the corresponding text file - in UTF-8 code.

My question is : where can I download UTF-8 encoding programme ? What to do with special Hungarian characters , like ő ? How can I do fast , as I am delayed a bit now ? what can Transqueu do ? Or Dictate Expresss softver which I downloaded after your advice ?<
... See more
Thank you very much for quick help . Now I have the audio files , short messages in Hungarian
Task : NVC transription
I have to type the Hungarian audio message in the corresponding text file - in UTF-8 code.

My question is : where can I download UTF-8 encoding programme ? What to do with special Hungarian characters , like ő ? How can I do fast , as I am delayed a bit now ? what can Transqueu do ? Or Dictate Expresss softver which I downloaded after your advice ?
Big thank you again for taking time and giving so wise instructions .

Kind regards,
Lilian SZabó Michna

mszlilian wrote:

[/quote]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
UTF8N Apr 2, 2011

mszlilian wrote:

I haven't worked with the latest version of Express Scribe (now called Express Dictate) extensively, but it appears that you can save the text using Dictation > Export Notes.

The text (or notes) from Express Dictate appear to be saved in a text file that is UTF8N (in other words, it is UTF8, but it is not in Windows format, so you may need to convert it to Windows format before sending it to the client. To do that, open the TXT file in MS Word (and select UTF8) and then just save it again immediately. Test it to see if you can do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help to open audio recording files for transcription via Filezilla

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »