https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/192979-launching_a_%22framemaker_how_to%22.html

Launching a "FrameMaker How to..."
Thread poster: Caroline Tsaganas
Caroline Tsaganas
Caroline Tsaganas  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:34
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 25, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am adressing all FrameMaker users.
I would like to launch a "FrameMaker How to..." aimed at centralizing all the different procedures Proz members use to proceed with those files.

I am working on a very large FrameMaker file send by one of my customer. But I cannot stop thinking, that there must be a better way of doing things. I have been searching many forums, but I cannot seem to find a in-depth FrameMaker How to post.

I started tra
... See more
Hi Everyone,

I am adressing all FrameMaker users.
I would like to launch a "FrameMaker How to..." aimed at centralizing all the different procedures Proz members use to proceed with those files.

I am working on a very large FrameMaker file send by one of my customer. But I cannot stop thinking, that there must be a better way of doing things. I have been searching many forums, but I cannot seem to find a in-depth FrameMaker How to post.

I started translating the file in question using Wordfast Pro because it is the software I use most.
Apart from some starting difficulties (which I got solved thanks to Wordfast Support Forum, lots of thanks...), I managed to get it done properly and am still working at it. But I am not satisfied.

That's why I adress you with the hope that, you too, will be eager to share the way you personally proceed with FrameMaker files.

Here mine:

Step 1: Reception of client file: format FrameMaker 9, i.e. a .fm file
Step 2: Conversion of the .fm file into a .mif file using FrameMaker 9
Step 3: Opening of the .mif file using latest version of WordFast Pro.
Step 4: After completing translation work, Save file, Save Translated file.
Step 5: Opening the translated file in FrameMaker 9.

Note: Some discrepencies always occur after step 5 in form of caracter mix-up (everytime I made use of the ' character in the target file for example, the words appear totally mixed up or glued together).
I also always am afraid to loose cross references and markers included in the source file.

I would be glad to read how do you proceed. Do you have a quicker procedure?

Here my way
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Launching a "FrameMaker How to..."

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »