Thread poster: Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 23:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2011

Reading about what is going on in Egypt today, I am put in mind of the fact that many colleagues are being deprived of their ability to receive work and deliver work. Perhaps we should pause for a moment and think how we would fare without access to this means of communication - we spend plenty of time complaining about failures or deficiencies in the service, but always presume it'll be back soon.

I'm also remembering a colleague in Cuba who spoke of losing her connection and whom
... See more
Reading about what is going on in Egypt today, I am put in mind of the fact that many colleagues are being deprived of their ability to receive work and deliver work. Perhaps we should pause for a moment and think how we would fare without access to this means of communication - we spend plenty of time complaining about failures or deficiencies in the service, but always presume it'll be back soon.

I'm also remembering a colleague in Cuba who spoke of losing her connection and whom I don't think I've seen active on ProZ since. I checked her profile and saw that it hasn't been updated since 2007 - I have no idea about whether she has simply decided not to carry on using the site (no contributions since then), but it does make me wonder.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I absolutely agree Jan 29, 2011

It is simply outrageous that a country can switch off Internet. It speaks lots about the government.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Other ways? Jan 29, 2011

I just wonder if there might be other ways of circumventing governments cutting off or restricting people's Internet connection, which nowadays can be held to be one of our basic freedoms or human rights. I'm no techie, so I ask those of you out there:

Is there some way a person could hit a satelite or some other way to get a connection that cannot be stopped?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:57
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@Henry: Sure, but it would be very slow and/or expensive Jan 29, 2011

Henry Hinds wrote:
Is there some way a person could hit a satelite or some other way to get a connection that cannot be stopped?

Well, Egypt can only pull the plug on ISPs it controls. I don't see why somebody couldn't use a phone line to directly dial the dial-up access number of an ISP outside of the country (assuming one had an account with them, and Egypt didn't block calls to that number), and get dial-up access that way. I'd hate to see that long-distance bill though! Presumably something similar could be achieved through a satellite phone as well (again, the cost would be very high).

[Edited at 2011-01-29 21:59 GMT]

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:57
Member (2009)
French to English
Dial-up modems Jan 29, 2011

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:

Well, Egypt can only pull the plug on ISPs it controls. I don't see why somebody couldn't use a phone line to directly dial the dial-up access number of an ISP outside of the country (assuming one had an account with them, and Egypt didn't block calls to that number), and get dial-up access that way. I'd hate to see that long-distance bill though! Presumably something similar could be achieved through a satellite phone as well (again, the cost would be very high).

[Edited at 2011-01-29 21:59 GMT]

Some people who are trying to help are providing dial-up modems, but they are not as common these days - and understandably jammed. The blockage is not complete, but if you can't get online to find information on the workarounds, well... you can see how a simple call to the ISPs would be effective.

For what it is worth, here is one number to a dial-up modem (unverified):

Egypt can use this number for dial up: +33172890150 (login 'toto' password 'toto') - thks to a French ISP (FDN)

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very practical information Jenn Jan 30, 2011

Thank you.

I know that some people may have thought I've posted in a strange place, but, as HH comments, I think we now take access as a basic right, and I wanted people to consider this in the context of not being allowed access to sth they consider to be a technical right, and not a question of politics or the like.

Thanks also to those who have passed me comments about other regimes, privately, sensitively taking into account possible problems for users with their r
... See more
Thank you.

I know that some people may have thought I've posted in a strange place, but, as HH comments, I think we now take access as a basic right, and I wanted people to consider this in the context of not being allowed access to sth they consider to be a technical right, and not a question of politics or the like.

Thanks also to those who have passed me comments about other regimes, privately, sensitively taking into account possible problems for users with their regimes.

Edited for typo

[Edited at 2011-01-30 08:21 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deprived of internet connection

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »