https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/189668-can_ereaders_be_used_for_multiple_languages.html

Can eReaders be used for multiple languages?
Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 12:44
French to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2011

Not sure that this is the right place for this question...But can anyone tell me if they have experience of using an eReader for more than one language? According to some sources, this is not easy, because there are problems with accents and also with copyright. I have searched around and get contradictory answers. What I want is to be able to read Spanish English and French books whilst being able to access French to English and Spanish to English dictionaries. Any help gratefully appreciated!

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
English to Serbian
+ ...
Kindle Jan 16, 2011

You can use Kindle for multiple languages. I use it for Serbian (Cyrillic).

Copyright has nothing to do with it.

If you installed several Kindle dictionaries, you just have to set up one as the primary.

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Jan 16, 2011

Thanks Mlinar. That's very useful. I wonder if Sony readers also have that ability: I think they do judging from the user manuals which I have been looking at.

Debbi Steele
Debbi Steele  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Sony ereader Jan 17, 2011

I have a Sony PRS-350 and it has various multilingual dictionaries preinstalled: from English in and out of French, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch. I use it for reading French and German books and haven't had any issues so far.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
kindle Jan 17, 2011

Just to confirm that kindle handles different languages, accents, etc. without any problems.

I download newspapers and books in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese. However, one issue I haven't yet resolved with Amazon is access to the different countries' sites for the fullest range of books on a kindle that is registered in the UK.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What sources? Jan 17, 2011

david angel wrote:

Not sure that this is the right place for this question...But can anyone tell me if they have experience of using an eReader for more than one language? According to some sources, this is not easy, because there are problems with accents and also with copyright.

What sources say that? I would be very surprised if there was any truth in that whatsoever.
As long as the tech people at the publisher weren't utter fools, there can be no problem.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:44
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends on the model Jan 18, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
What sources say that? I would be very surprised if there was any truth in that whatsoever.
As long as the tech people at the publisher weren't utter fools, there can be no problem.

I say that, for example

Sony PRS-500 that I have (admittedly, one of the first ereaders available) does not handle Unicode very well and to display e.g. Polish characters in some formats (including the internal one!) one has to resort to hacks (like patching and switching the firmware).

So it all depends on the model, I guess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can eReaders be used for multiple languages?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »