https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/188452-ubuntu_and_trados_compatibility.html

Ubuntu and Trados compatibility
Thread poster: MariusV
MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 09:22
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Dec 29, 2010

Hello,

I have been considering long ago to "abandon" Microsoft OS and turn to something like Ubuntu and open office stuff. For "simple text file editing" tasks and for many practical reasons (e.g. Ubuntu starts from RAM, or it is SOOO simple to use, compared to the latest Microsoft "disasters" like Vista). But I have one question - will Trados work NOT with Microsoft OS?

Well, my question seems to be very "abstract", but did anyone try using Trados with Ubuntu???

Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
An old story Dec 29, 2010

Trado$ is a platform dependent nightmare. It only operates (makes you crazy) on Win.

Please see the topic below.

http://mac.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software/82043-news_on_my_work_about_getting_trados_running_on_wine.html

IMHO there's nothing new.

Why don't you try Sword
... See more
Trado$ is a platform dependent nightmare. It only operates (makes you crazy) on Win.

Please see the topic below.

http://mac.proz.com/forum/linux_os_free_software/82043-news_on_my_work_about_getting_trados_running_on_wine.html

IMHO there's nothing new.

Why don't you try Swordfish II? It handles .ttx files as well.
What about OmegaT?

Regards
Collapse

Andrea Piu
Andrea Piu  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:22
English to Italian
+ ...
no way but... Dec 29, 2010

There is no way to make Trados working on Ubuntu as it is a Microsoft-based software.
Anyway, you can run Windows on a virtual machine, like VirtualBox, and then install your Trados there.
Actually I have Ubuntu Linux installed on my laptop and, for working related stuffs, I run VirtualBox with WinXP, SDLX 2007 and the Microsoft Office suit. Till now, everything has worked wonderfully.
I strongly advise you to abandon Vista and switch to Ubuntu if you want to make the best use
... See more
There is no way to make Trados working on Ubuntu as it is a Microsoft-based software.
Anyway, you can run Windows on a virtual machine, like VirtualBox, and then install your Trados there.
Actually I have Ubuntu Linux installed on my laptop and, for working related stuffs, I run VirtualBox with WinXP, SDLX 2007 and the Microsoft Office suit. Till now, everything has worked wonderfully.
I strongly advise you to abandon Vista and switch to Ubuntu if you want to make the best use of your computer.
Hope this help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ubuntu and Trados compatibility

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »