Desktop search won't find anything for last month.
Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2010

I'm looking for a document which I translated just a couple of weeks ago. I tried desktop search for some of the words I know appeared in the document but nothing came up. Then I realized that whatever search item I used it didn't bring up anything for October 2010.

Anyone else had this?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:44
German to English
+ ...
Settings, options or preferences? Nov 2, 2010

You didn't state which desktop search you used. I use Google Desktop Search (GDS), and you can define your preferences there (e.g. which types of documents to search). I thought maybe you have accidentally limited your search to documents created or modified "today", but at least in GDS there is no such option. Another thought: perhaps your search is restricted to a drive or folder that doesn't contain the document in question. In any case, I suggest looking at the preferences (or options... See more
You didn't state which desktop search you used. I use Google Desktop Search (GDS), and you can define your preferences there (e.g. which types of documents to search). I thought maybe you have accidentally limited your search to documents created or modified "today", but at least in GDS there is no such option. Another thought: perhaps your search is restricted to a drive or folder that doesn't contain the document in question. In any case, I suggest looking at the preferences (or options, settings, whatever they are called) of your desktop search.

Oliver
Collapse

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Oliver, Nov 2, 2010

Well, it's very weird. I'm using the windows desktop search from the startup menu. The first screen lets you enter a search word and search either the desktop or the web. Then there are other options: from/author/date/size/file name/folder all of which I leave blank.

I entered the word "aircraft" because I know I worked on a document containing that word in the last 15 days. The search brings up 15 matches dating from June 2007 to Dec 2008. Other searches bring up matches for docume
... See more
Well, it's very weird. I'm using the windows desktop search from the startup menu. The first screen lets you enter a search word and search either the desktop or the web. Then there are other options: from/author/date/size/file name/folder all of which I leave blank.

I entered the word "aircraft" because I know I worked on a document containing that word in the last 15 days. The search brings up 15 matches dating from June 2007 to Dec 2008. Other searches bring up matches for documents I've worked on in Sep 2010 but nothing for October when in fact it should find over 30 with that search word!

I'm sure I've done this before and been able to find what I've been looking for.

If I go into Search Companion at the bottom of the screen the search works fine.

[Edited at 2010-11-02 15:12 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desktop search won't find anything for last month.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »