Local time: 09:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2010

Hello everybody,

Would anybody know how to extract text from a .docx.txt file. It says:
" FILE QUARANTINED
The original contents of this file have been replaced with
this message because of its characteristics.
File name: XXX...docx.zip'
Malware name: 'Exceedingly compressed size'
on opening.

I have posted this question on another forum too. I know it is really cheating, but it is urgent. I hope it reaches as many people :!))
I
... See more
Hello everybody,

" FILE QUARANTINED
on opening.

I have posted this question on another forum too. I know it is really cheating, but it is urgent. I hope it reaches as many people :!))
I work with Word 2003, Vista. Will anybody have an advice for me?

Please,

Katerina
Collapse

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:52
Dutch to English
back to the customer Oct 31, 2010

Not knowing your exact setup, I suspect it's your antivirus (or adware) program that has quarantined the file. If that program doesn't give you any options for overriding that quarantine, then you'll probably have to ask the client for a safer file.

You may tell him that a *.docx file is already compressed, and zipping it up may make it a bit smaller, but will not make a significant diference.

HTH

Frank...
See more
Not knowing your exact setup, I suspect it's your antivirus (or adware) program that has quarantined the file. If that program doesn't give you any options for overriding that quarantine, then you'll probably have to ask the client for a safer file.

You may tell him that a *.docx file is already compressed, and zipping it up may make it a bit smaller, but will not make a significant diference.

HTH

Frank

[Edited at 2010-10-31 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
Maybe Oct 31, 2010

make (and keep) a copy of the file and change the name of the second file by xxx.doc.zip (and not docx)
really not sure
Good luck

or maybe try to convert it using
http://zamzar.com/

[Edited at 2010-10-31 15:40 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Urgent .... docx.txt file Oct 31, 2010

katerina turevich wrote:

Hello everybody,

" FILE QUARANTINED
on opening.

I work with Word 2003, Vista. Will anybody have an advice for me?

Please,

Katerina

1) Rename the file to a filename with a .zip extension only
2) Try to open the zipped file and see what it has in it. It should be a .docx file.
3) If yes, unzipp the file to a directory of your choice, so yo cna found it easely.

However, no legal AV or similar applications replaces the content of zipped files, so far I know. And docx.txt does no exist neither. Quarantined mean stored in a special folder and sometimes changing their extensions to make it unexecutable, but the main name of the remains always the same.

Some AV consider files with two extensions as malware, wich is quite idiot. This is due because MS did not recognise files with two extensions, so it was very easy to send an executable like xxxxxx.doc.exe and the receiver to execute it by mean of social engineering.

I am sorrry to say, that to me it seems that you've a hijacked or infected pc problem, but I can'nt be sure. This is what I would do:

1) Download malwarebytes antimalware free version ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php )
1) Disable the restore point functiom.
3) Execute a complete scan with malwarebytes antimalware.
3) Delete any malware it has found.
4) Reinitiate the pc.
5) Search the document with the explorer search function.
6) If found, change his name to another name with the .zip extensión only
7) Try to extraxct the docx document.
8) Reactivate the restore point function.

If not found, I am afraid you will have to ask your client to resend the file with only one extension. And yes, as it has been said here before, it is silly to send a compressed docx file, as a docx file is already a zipped file.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2010-10-31 16:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: extracting a text from a docx.txt file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »