Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:21
English to Arabic
Oct 26, 2010

Hello All,

First of all I apologize if this topic was discussed before.

My issue is that I am using a PC for performing my translation work, and I use a laptop when I am travelling or away from my office.
And I want to make sure that all the files structure in the laptop is updated and synchronized with the files in my main machine (PC)

So how could I do this.

I already copied the contents of the PC to the Laptop with Identical folder str
... See more
Hello All,

First of all I apologize if this topic was discussed before.

My issue is that I am using a PC for performing my translation work, and I use a laptop when I am travelling or away from my office.
And I want to make sure that all the files structure in the laptop is updated and synchronized with the files in my main machine (PC)

So how could I do this.

I already copied the contents of the PC to the Laptop with Identical folder structure, but what should I do to maintain this.
Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Dropbox Oct 26, 2010

Hello,

You could have a look at applications like Dropbox, taking the appropriate measures in terms of safety.
This was discussed here See more
Hello,

You could have a look at applications like Dropbox, taking the appropriate measures in terms of safety.
This was discussed here http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/180205-would_you_recommend_using_dropbox_free_version.html and here http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/160471-dropbox_+_1password.html
Collapse

Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
Robocopy Oct 26, 2010

Hi,

Robocopy is a free tool that allows you to keep directories in sync, create backup copies etc...it's quite good, as it has been bought by Microsoft to be their primary tools for server backups etc. Can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd
... See more
Hi,

Robocopy is a free tool that allows you to keep directories in sync, create backup copies etc...it's quite good, as it has been bought by Microsoft to be their primary tools for server backups etc. Can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd

Some more info on syncing folders can be found here:
http://improve.dk/blog/2009/10/07/simple-file-synchronization-using-robocopy
Collapse

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
Local time: 00:21
English to Serbian
+ ...
FreeFileSync Oct 28, 2010

"FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is optimized for highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces."

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

I use it. It is very good and extremely simple.

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Another dropbox user... Oct 28, 2010

Another recommendation for Dropbox. It's hassle-free, once it's set up, everything is in sync.

Another good, free piece of software is SpiderOak. Works much like Dropbox, but gives you even finer control of what is synced/ecluded, etc.

R.
==

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
English to Serbian
+ ...
Confidentiality Oct 29, 2010

Rick Henry wrote:
Another recommendation for Dropbox. It's hassle-free, once it's set up, everything is in sync.

... with some words of caution. It's an online service, and once it's down users no longer have the access.

Also, sending and storing confidential data outside private machine is, broadly speaking, a breach of confidentiality.

A user should check if Dropbox encrypts files locally, while they are still on personal computer, with a private key owned only by the user. If the files are just uploaded (via SSL, I hope) and encrypted on their servers - that's not good news for an NDA signee.

For private use and syncing of local clients specialized programs installed on personal PCs are the best solution.

Also, it's much faster.

However, services like Dropbox are backups as well...

Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all of you Oct 30, 2010

Thank you all for your precious help in that regard.

I already according to your advice downloaded Dsynchronize, but the problem is that I am unable to understand how it works, I know that the interface is so simple, I check all the options that I want, as "Bidirectional synchronization, copy only newer files, and then I press the Synchronize button, and after that it starts listing all the files and it generates a message as Synchronization complete, but unfortunately nothing is b
... See more
Thank you all for your precious help in that regard.

I already according to your advice downloaded Dsynchronize, but the problem is that I am unable to understand how it works, I know that the interface is so simple, I check all the options that I want, as "Bidirectional synchronization, copy only newer files, and then I press the Synchronize button, and after that it starts listing all the files and it generates a message as Synchronization complete, but unfortunately nothing is being synched, and I wonder why.
Am I missing something?
P.S I am performing synchronization for the whole directory of D for example or C with its equivalent in the other PC.
Thanks again for your help
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
encryption Oct 31, 2010

Mlinar wrote:

Rick Henry wrote:

... with some words of caution.

Fully agree, that's what I meant when I mentioned the need for appropriate safety measures in my earlier post.
The synchronised folder can be encrypted. See this post for instance: http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/180205-would_you_recommend_using_dropbox_free_version.html#1582525

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I also use FreeFilesync Oct 31, 2010

Mlinar wrote:

"FreeFileSync is an Open-Source folder comparison and synchronization tool. It is optimized for highest performance and usability without restricted or overloaded UI interfaces."

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

I use it. It is very good and extremely simple.

The main lesson I had to learn, which was not clear from the Help, is this: compare first, then decide and synchronise to your requirements.
1. First select the folders (or drives) that you want to compare and synchronise (the program calls them Left and Right, for obvious reasons) (If a folder is on the network not on the PC where you are running FreeFileSync you may need to detect it first with Windows Explorer as FFS won't find it for you)
2. Then click the Compare button (top left of the dialog box)
3. Click any of the icons at the bottom centre according to whether you want to see files that are newer on the left or right, exist only on the left or the right, are considered identical left and right. This sometimes helps you decide what you want to do
4. Click the "settings" icon on the left of the "Synchronize" button and decide there what you want to do (for each category of newer/existence you can choose copy to left, copy to right, delete, do nothing). "Mirror" and "Update" are predefined sets of these settings.
5. Click "Synchronise"; it will summarise how many files you are about to create, delete, or replace (left and right), and the total no. of bytes involved.
6. Click "Start" if you want the synch to occur.

Oliver

[Edited at 2010-10-31 22:19 GMT]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:51
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
My way of solving the problem Nov 1, 2010

I have both desktop and laptop. And I use both of them alternatively.

If for example, I am using the desktop and work on or download certain files, I email to myself the files that have been worked on or downloaded.

Then the next time I go to the laptop and download the emailed attachments into my laptop.

And vice versa.

In that way, I have two independent operating systems, one acting as backup for the other.

I have a horror of u
... See more
I have both desktop and laptop. And I use both of them alternatively.

If for example, I am using the desktop and work on or download certain files, I email to myself the files that have been worked on or downloaded.

Then the next time I go to the laptop and download the emailed attachments into my laptop.

And vice versa.

In that way, I have two independent operating systems, one acting as backup for the other.

I have a horror of using pen drives, hence this simple strategy.

Regards,
N. Raghavan
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:21
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Goodsync Nov 1, 2010

I am in a similar situation and I purchased Goodsync, a file synchronization program, for maybe $20.
I use a portable HD as a back up. I sync my PC with the portable, and then the portable with the laptop. It works very well and easy. It first analyzes all changes and then shows what it will sync. Before you actually sync you can make changes per file to this process (skip syncing, or reverse direction). The only thing you better avoid is making changes in the same files on both machines b
... See more
I am in a similar situation and I purchased Goodsync, a file synchronization program, for maybe $20.
I use a portable HD as a back up. I sync my PC with the portable, and then the portable with the laptop. It works very well and easy. It first analyzes all changes and then shows what it will sync. Before you actually sync you can make changes per file to this process (skip syncing, or reverse direction). The only thing you better avoid is making changes in the same files on both machines before syncing. GoodSync will still tell you that that's the case, but you would have to save two copies.

Dropbox doesn't really work for me because I handle way too many files and am pretty organized with them in terms of folder structure. It would mean I have to put my entire documents directory into dropbox.

ps: which language forum am I in, and how do I get back to English...?

[Уредено на 2010-11-01 05:20 GMT]

[Уредено на 2010-11-01 05:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Synchronizing files in the laptop with files in the PC

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »