Looking for a (consumer) desktop search program that doesn't choke on LARGE files.
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone know if there is a (consumer) desktop search program that doesn't choke on large files? And I mean large. TMs, etc., of between 100 and 500 MBs.

I have tried X1, Copernic, Google Desktop, Windows stuff, and dtSearch, but have not found a good one yet.

Michael

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:13
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Effective File Search Oct 20, 2010

I quite like Effective File Search. As far as I have used it, which is a lot depending on the days, it does not choke on large amounts of files/directories or with large files, both in local disks and in network shares. It's the best programme I have used so far. Give it a try!

Andrew Poloyan
Andrew Poloyan
Local time: 10:13
Russian to English
+ ...
Archivarius 3000 Oct 20, 2010

You might consider trying the subj. The tool needs tweaking a bit but then works like a charm.
A trial version is available for download here: http://www.likasoft.com/document-search/ and a code converts it instantly into a fully functional one should you decide to buy the program.

[Edited at 2010-10-20 19:17 GMT]

Marco Cevoli
Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
What issues do you have? Oct 28, 2010

Hi Michael,

What do you mean with "choke"? Were you trying to have the content of these large files indexed? As far as I know X1 copes with large files pretty well. If you can elaborate a little bit on what you're trying to accomplish we may better help you.

Kind regards

Marco

http://www.qabiria.com

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
inability to open previews Oct 28, 2010

I mean that if you try and preview the contents of a large file, such as a TMX, it will take too long to be usable.

I have since gone back to my trusty Copernic Desktop Search Corporate, which seems to be the best all round program I can find.

dtSearch was second best, but has a very bad UI.

Michael

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tomás Oct 28, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I quite like Effective File Search.

This program doesn't create an index, but searches your drive in real time, so the results don't come instantaneously. It has some neat-looking search parameters, though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a (consumer) desktop search program that doesn't choke on LARGE files.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »