Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Oct 12, 2010

Hello,

I'm facing the following situation:

I have a great number of TMX files which I want to merge in a single TM. However, before importing them I want to do a bit of maintenance work on them, like adding Attribute fields to the TUs (e.g. Subject: Technical, Client: XXX, Product: XYZ, Project No: 1234, etc.).

Can you recommend me a suitable tool to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:47
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009 Oct 12, 2010

In Studio 2009 you can add fields to individual TUs or to all the units in a TM using Batch Editing and Deleting in the Translation Memory window.

I suggest you do it on a copy because these changes cannot be undone.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Olifant Oct 12, 2010

You could try the freeware Olifant TM editor:

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/index.html

which lets you modify attribute fields, among other things.

Giles

Ivaylo Ivanov
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to add new attribute fields with Olifant? Oct 12, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

You could try the freeware Olifant TM editor:

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/index.html

which lets you modify attribute fields, among other things.

Giles

I opened one of the TMX files in Olifant but couldn't figure out how to add new attribute fields.

Do you know how to do this?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
New attribute fields Oct 12, 2010

Hi Ivaylo.

You can fiddle around with existing attribute fields but you can't add new ones, I think (I'm not an expert) because this would create indexing problems in the existing TM.

What you'll have to do is create a new TM with the attribute fields you require, edit the legacy TMs in Olifant so their attributes conform to the new master TM and then import them.

There are other discussions on this, for exa
... See more
Hi Ivaylo.

You can fiddle around with existing attribute fields but you can't add new ones, I think (I'm not an expert) because this would create indexing problems in the existing TM.

What you'll have to do is create a new TM with the attribute fields you require, edit the legacy TMs in Olifant so their attributes conform to the new master TM and then import them.

There are other discussions on this, for example:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/150722-import_tm_adding_new_attribute_to_units_trados_2006.html

If anyone has a better way, I'm all ears
Collapse

Ivaylo Ivanov
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about setting attributes upon import into the TM Oct 12, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

Hi Ivaylo.

There are other discussions on this, for example:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/150722-import_tm_adding_new_attribute_to_units_trados_2006.html

If anyone has a better way, I'm all ears

Giles, thanks for your suggestions.

What I want to avoid is to create a new TM for each file and set the fields in Trados for example.

I have about 150-200 TMX files. I'd like to process the TMX files themselves.

Does anybody knows in which tool (Trados, Deja Vu, MemoQ, or another) I can select which attributes to be applied during the import? So, the selected attributes are written to the translation units which are being imported. When importing the next file, I select other attributes and its TUs will be written to the same TM but other attributes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool for adding TU attribute fields to TMX files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »