Text blank in drop down boxes
Thread poster: DavidHardy
DavidHardy
DavidHardy
Local time: 22:01
Portuguese to English
Sep 19, 2010

I am using Windows XP SP3 and Internet Explorer 8 and when I have to fill in forms online e.g. a drop down box appears with countries, I just see a white space. I presume the text colour has become "white on white" but I do not know how to fix this. Any help much appreciated!
David Hardisty Lisbon

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:01
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
same? Sep 19, 2010

From the MS FAQ:

Internet Explorer 8 is a new release and some websites may not yet be ready for Internet Explorer 8. Click the Compatibility View toolbar button to display the website as viewed in Internet Explorer 7. This option is on a per site basis and all other sites will continue to display with Internet Explorer 8 functionality. To go back to browsing with Internet Explorer 8 functionality on that site, simply click the Compatibility View button again.

I'm not
... See more
From the MS FAQ:

Internet Explorer 8 is a new release and some websites may not yet be ready for Internet Explorer 8. Click the Compatibility View toolbar button to display the website as viewed in Internet Explorer 7. This option is on a per site basis and all other sites will continue to display with Internet Explorer 8 functionality. To go back to browsing with Internet Explorer 8 functionality on that site, simply click the Compatibility View button again.

I'm not seeing all of the new search functionality in my version of Internet Explorer 8. What's wrong?

It may be because you're using Windows XP. Windows Search 3 is installed on all Windows Vista-based machines and will automatically take advantage of the rich search functionality in Internet Explorer 8.

However, Windows XP users can enjoy all the new search functionality in Internet Explorer 8 by downloading Windows Search 4 from the below website.

Get details on desktop search from our website.

===
Otherwise XP might just not be 100% compatible with IE8, has this worked before?
when did it last work, what have you changed since then (and don't tell me nothing has changed!!!)
Ed
Collapse

DavidHardy
DavidHardy
Local time: 22:01
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem hopefully solved Oct 3, 2010

Just to say I solved the problem and in case this happens to somebody else:
There is a Windows file called usp10.dll which is used apparently by most programs. It is to do with fonts. I had it located inside the folder for starting Office programs and inside a Windows subfolder. The one inside Windows had become corrupt so I copied the one from the Office Apps folder. It is a very old copy but it worked.
One of the Security upgrades to Windows XP in September was to do with fonts, an
... See more
Just to say I solved the problem and in case this happens to somebody else:
There is a Windows file called usp10.dll which is used apparently by most programs. It is to do with fonts. I had it located inside the folder for starting Office programs and inside a Windows subfolder. The one inside Windows had become corrupt so I copied the one from the Office Apps folder. It is a very old copy but it worked.
One of the Security upgrades to Windows XP in September was to do with fonts, and this problem occurred the day after downloading this, so I do not think this was a coincidence, but do not know what happened. Anyway, just recording the solution in case this is useful - look for usp10.dll.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text blank in drop down boxes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »