Receiving E-mails on the mobile
Thread poster: Anahit Simonyan
Anahit Simonyan
Anahit Simonyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
English to Armenian
+ ...
Jul 15, 2010

Dear fellow translators, I´d like to know your practices in receiving your E-mail on your mobile phone. How can I ensure that the mails I receive in my Inbox come also into my mobile, in a way of sms or other. I am a Yahoo user.
I need this to get immediately informed about any job offer that I receive on my mail. Because many a times I lose the job only because I didn´t reply it sooner, as I was offline. How do you ensure that you are instantly informed about a job offer that comes to y
... See more
Dear fellow translators, I´d like to know your practices in receiving your E-mail on your mobile phone. How can I ensure that the mails I receive in my Inbox come also into my mobile, in a way of sms or other. I am a Yahoo user.
I need this to get immediately informed about any job offer that I receive on my mail. Because many a times I lose the job only because I didn´t reply it sooner, as I was offline. How do you ensure that you are instantly informed about a job offer that comes to your Inbox. And I don´t want the mobile to be connected to the Internet all the time. I´d prefer a kind of alarm of sms if there such service.
PLease tell me about your practices. Is it possible to do this only with a mobile phone or I will need other devices? Thank you all.
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Blackberry Jul 15, 2010

Hello,
I've had a Blackberry for years and it has been a great help.

But advancements in phones mean that most smartphones can also display emails on your phone. I'd suggest going to a mobile phone shop and asking what they suggest.

Joanne

Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Local time: 14:59
English to French
+ ...
Iphone Jul 15, 2010

Hello,
I have an Iphone (previously a BB) and as Joanne I think any smartphone can do the job.
On Iphone it's very easy to program your e-mail adress (specially for yahoo or gmail).
One important thing is to be able to open attachments .
I had for a while SMS alert but it can turn out to be quite complicated to reply or as I said you can not get the attachments.
Have a nice day
E

Anahit Simonyan
Anahit Simonyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Internet? Jul 15, 2010

Thank you for your replies. But as I haven´t used any smartphone, I´d like to know whether you have to be connected to the Internet on them all the time to receive any emails? Naturally so?

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
With my BlackBerry Jul 15, 2010

I pay a decent price (3 € per week) to my phone company for a push-mail service. This service connects every 5 minutes (or so) to up to 10 email accounts and deliver emails on your mobile, leaving the original messages on your inbox, so you can download them again once you run your email-client on your PC. The services also offers up to 2GB/month, meaning that I can surf the web and download up to 2GB worth of data every month. I seldom surf the web, I chose the service because it's great to b... See more
I pay a decent price (3 € per week) to my phone company for a push-mail service. This service connects every 5 minutes (or so) to up to 10 email accounts and deliver emails on your mobile, leaving the original messages on your inbox, so you can download them again once you run your email-client on your PC. The services also offers up to 2GB/month, meaning that I can surf the web and download up to 2GB worth of data every month. I seldom surf the web, I chose the service because it's great to be able to reply emails quickly, I have gotten few jobs thanks to my mobile.

Hope this helps
G

[Edited at 2010-07-15 11:42 GMT]
Collapse

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I have 2 smartphones refusing to receive email despite being otherwise technically OK Jul 15, 2010

Both are pretty expensive devices by leading manufacturers (HTC, Sony Ericsson). They have been technically checked by Product Support.

So what we learn from this: the device having a feature (in this case: emailing with attachments capability) does not mean it will work as long as the device is free from defects as per Product Support ...

What I do now is check my emails online (mobile email frontend = only way to go, the regular email frontends are highly impractical)
... See more
Both are pretty expensive devices by leading manufacturers (HTC, Sony Ericsson). They have been technically checked by Product Support.

So what we learn from this: the device having a feature (in this case: emailing with attachments capability) does not mean it will work as long as the device is free from defects as per Product Support ...

What I do now is check my emails online (mobile email frontend = only way to go, the regular email frontends are highly impractical), having to manually refresh the page every 15 minutes.
With no attachment viewing ability included whatsoever!

I even contacted my cell provider about the matter and since they were able to make my phone send and receive email once during the call they claim they can't be blamed for it either. Lorda mercy!

But then, if God doesn't want this ... Then so be it. It is not the end of my business world anyway.
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
push email Jul 15, 2010

Gianni Pastore wrote:

I pay a decent price (3 € per week) to my phone company for a push-mail service. This service connects every 5 minutes (or so) to up to 10 email accounts...

Push email is supposed to be delivered instantly. Are you sure if you are really getting “push email” for your money?

Black Berry is still the best, but any phone with Exchange ActiveSync pre-installed is push-email capable and you can receive and send emails just like you do on your desk/laptop. Checking email using web access on a mobile is not a good way.

Android (by Google) phone (ie HTC Desire) is popular at the moment and you can sync your gmail account quite easily.

I personally use a windows mobile phone (Samsung Omina Pro with Windows Mobile 6.5) and set up hotmail/live mail to push all emails together with attachments as soon as they arrive in the Inbox.

Anahit Simonyan wrote:
I´d like to know whether you have to be connected to the Internet on them all the time to receive any emails? Naturally so?

No. You obviously need a data plan which also enables you to connect to the internet. But as far as emails are concerned, your mobile is only connected to the internet when you receive and send mails.

[Edited at 2010-07-15 13:57 GMT]

Peter Riccomini
Peter Riccomini  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blackberry works for me Jul 15, 2010

I have a Blackberry Pearl from Orange in Spain, with internet. It was easy to set up the email. You can open attachments although I usually don't. I don't normally use it for internet, because surprisingly there aren't many websites designed for mobile use, and it is very uncomfortable using normal websites with such a small screen. It is useful for traffic and weather conditions when you are on the road, though.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
NL Jul 15, 2010

Anahit Simonyan wrote:
I need this to get immediately informed about any job offer that I receive on my mail. Because many a times I lose the job only because I didn´t reply it sooner, as I was offline.

When I'm in NL, my mobile phone service provider, KPN, has a service whereby it will send me an SMS (text message) whenever I receive an e-mail on my KPN e-mail account. I can activate the service via SMS and I can deactivate the service via SMS. It costs money, per SMS, obviously. All I need to do is have a message rule on my usual e-mail account (which is a Gmail account) that forwards all incoming mail (or all incoming mail with certain keywords in it) to my KPN e-mail account, and then I'll receive notifications for it. It's a little expensive (per SMS), but if it helps with not missing job offers, it would be worth it.

Kjersti Farrier
Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
BlackBerry Jul 15, 2010

I've had my Blackberry for some 6 months now and it has really been a savour. Ican immediately respond to work offers and open most attachments at the same time. Configuring the column view makes it really easy to browse websites.
I pay £20 per month on contract (in the UK), and get free sms/mms, voicecalls, direct e-mail (I have both gmail and hotmail configured) and internet surfing. Well everything is not free, there is a limit, but it is so high that I've never reached it in one mont
... See more
I've had my Blackberry for some 6 months now and it has really been a savour. Ican immediately respond to work offers and open most attachments at the same time. Configuring the column view makes it really easy to browse websites.
I pay £20 per month on contract (in the UK), and get free sms/mms, voicecalls, direct e-mail (I have both gmail and hotmail configured) and internet surfing. Well everything is not free, there is a limit, but it is so high that I've never reached it in one month. The e-mails on gmail I receive immediately, hotmail takes a while longer. I cannot remember which contracts were available when I lived in Spain some years ago, but I'm sure they have some contracts with internet surfing and direct e-mail all included too.

In fact, I lived in Rocafort, Valencia ciudad - we were almost neighbours!

[Edited at 2010-07-15 22:25 GMT]
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
BB/ iphone Jul 16, 2010

Hi,
I just switched from Blackberry to iphone. Both do the job well. After getting used to the iphone for a few weeks I think I prefer it although I do miss my BB keyboard and am much slower on the iphone.
Gillian

[Edited at 2010-07-16 04:08 GMT]

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Keyboard Jul 16, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:

Hi,
I just switched from Blackberry to iphone. Both do the job well. After getting used to the iphone for a few weeks I think I prefer it although I do miss my BB keyboard and am much slower on the iphone.
Gillian

[Edited at 2010-07-16 04:08 GMT]

Yes, this is another important aspect to be considered. I can type fast on my Blackberry using its mini computer keyboard. Also I have on it 4 web emails, yahoo mail, gmail, yahoo messenger, google talk and Blackberry messenger. I don't need to make phone calls often, so I could say my Blackberry is my mini mobile computer and my favorite toy

Carla Selyer
Carla Selyer  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
HTC is perfect Jul 16, 2010

I find the HTC to be perfect. You can set up several email accounts on it and in order to download emails, you go to send/receive and voila, all the latest emails you receive are delivered! This helps if you are waiting for an important email to come from a client, you can check it any time anywhere and it is on the desktop of your phone - you don't need to go to the internet in order to download your messages. An upgrade to a blackberry is definitely the next step!

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Downloading emails Jul 16, 2010

Carla Selyer wrote:

in order to download emails, you go to send/receive and voila, all the latest emails you receive are delivered! This helps if you are waiting for an important email to come from a client, you can check it any time anywhere and it is on the desktop of your phone - you don't need to go to the internet in order to download your messages. An upgrade to a blackberry is definitely the next step!

On Blackberry there is no need to send/receive messages, they come automatically. When I have my outlook opened (automatic send/receive every 2 minutes) it happens very often that I read the message on the phone first. I don't like the send/receive function, because I would always need something to remind me "download your emails!"

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Nokia N95 with Symbian OS Jul 16, 2010

As others have already said, most modern (i.e. smart) phones have a push email capability which means that emails get delivered to your phone whilst you're out and about. You will need a data plan from your mobile phone provider (a flat-rate plan is probably best). If you choose a Symbian phone (essentially Nokia), you will need to download a small configuration app from the Ovi store to help you set up your email account on the phone (it can be done manually on the phone but is much easier with... See more
As others have already said, most modern (i.e. smart) phones have a push email capability which means that emails get delivered to your phone whilst you're out and about. You will need a data plan from your mobile phone provider (a flat-rate plan is probably best). If you choose a Symbian phone (essentially Nokia), you will need to download a small configuration app from the Ovi store to help you set up your email account on the phone (it can be done manually on the phone but is much easier with the app). Once you're connected to your mailbox the phone will check for email every so often (user configurable) and then let you know if anything has arrived.

Newer phones running the Android OS (dozens to choose from, with more on the way) can also be configured to use push email, although maybe you need a Gmail account (I'm not sure about that, but as I have a Gmail account anyway I haven't looked into it further). I'm shortly going to be upgrading to an Android phone to make use of the WiFi mobile hotspot capability provided with Android 2.2 (Froyo).

The iPhone also does the same (I think), although the new version 4 seems to be having some teething problems.

And of course there's also the Blackberry range, although to my mind Blackberries have been somewhat superseded by other all-singing-all-dancing smartphones with better specs (decent cameras, WiFi, GPS...).

Andy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving E-mails on the mobile

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »