Sabine Schlottky  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:08
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
May 18, 2010

Hello Everybody,

Has anyone of you anything good or bad to tell about Samsung laptop computers? My experiences with this brand are quite good where printers, TV sets and DVD recorders are concerned.

Is there anything you might want to share with me before I buy one?

Thank you very much!

Sabine

[Edited at 2010-05-18 16:26 GMT]

Valeria Sciarrillo
Valeria Sciarrillo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Very good, in my opinion May 18, 2010

I have been using one (Q45) for nearly two years and a half, though not for translating (I have been studying and am currently working in-house full-time), and I haven't even had it formatted once, or maintained otherwise. Only drawback: small screen for full-time use, but I chose it in the first place.

I also have been using Samsung for mobile phones: all three mobiles I ever had have been Samsung, and they work great.

All in all: it's a top-quality branch to me.
... See more
I have been using one (Q45) for nearly two years and a half, though not for translating (I have been studying and am currently working in-house full-time), and I haven't even had it formatted once, or maintained otherwise. Only drawback: small screen for full-time use, but I chose it in the first place.

I also have been using Samsung for mobile phones: all three mobiles I ever had have been Samsung, and they work great.

All in all: it's a top-quality branch to me.

Hope this helps
Collapse

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I don't think they're that good - compared to Acer, Toshiba, Asus-if you happen to like the latter May 18, 2010

The screen of mine (a cost-efficient business laptop) went dark at times after just a year of having it. Samsung seems to have fixed this.

But then, the battery life of most Samsung's is not as good as that of, say, Acer Timelines.
Mine lasts just for 4 hours. That is really next to nothing if you travel on a regular basis.

Samsung laptops do very rarely rank among the top 5 in any kind of PC magazine's laptop charts.

Regards

Sebastian... See more
The screen of mine (a cost-efficient business laptop) went dark at times after just a year of having it. Samsung seems to have fixed this.

But then, the battery life of most Samsung's is not as good as that of, say, Acer Timelines.
Mine lasts just for 4 hours. That is really next to nothing if you travel on a regular basis.

Samsung laptops do very rarely rank among the top 5 in any kind of PC magazine's laptop charts.

Regards

Sebastian
www.textpartner.biz
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
http://www.ciao.de/ May 18, 2010

Maybe you want to read this site.

I don't have a Samsung laptop, but a Samsung display (+/- 10 years old). No regrets so far.

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
samsung R58 May 18, 2010

I am using it on a daily basis as from December 2008. The only bad thing so far is that it gets very hot after 1 hour. So hot that it is impossible to touch the "cooler". I understood that there are additional/external coolers and I am thinking to buy one before I will buy a new PC.

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Samsung E252 May 18, 2010

I can only add that my daughter (she is still at school) uses a Samsung for all kinds of things. She bought it exactly one year ago and is quite happy with it. However, I think it is more suitable for multimedia use. I personally prefer Dell. But it might depend on the Samsung version.

Good luck!

Annett

Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Samsung R522 May 19, 2010

I've got one on my desk with a monitor and keyboard attached to it. It's been running fine since I bought it in February this year. Fingers crossed!

Sabine Schlottky
Sabine Schlottky  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your input May 19, 2010

Finally I opted for a Fujitsu. It's always difficult to decide I find. And then you never know. I already had good experiences with some cheap no name disounter computer and lots of trouble with an expensive Sony...

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Unbeatable May 19, 2010

I have used my Samsung Dreja E172 approximately 12 hours a day since October 2008 and it never misses a beat. In my opinion, Samsung laptops offer a winning combination of excellent value for money, quality components and high performance computing.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Acer? May 19, 2010

Sebastian Witte wrote:
I don't think they're that good - compared to Acer, Toshiba, Asus-if you happen to like the latter.

I find it interesting that you mention Acer in the same breath as Toshiba. In my country, Acer has a name for producing cheapies whereas Toshiba has a name for being expensive but reliable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Samsung Laptop

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »