most suited type of computer for translators
Thread poster: Ileana-Manuela Balan
Ileana-Manuela Balan
Ileana-Manuela Balan
Local time: 21:01
English to Romanian
+ ...
May 17, 2010

I want to take up working as freelance translator and need to buy a more performant computer, but my knowledge of informatics is unsufficient to choose the most suited computer in terms of capacity, speed and softwares included, to be able to work efficiently in translation. Could you help me with some suggestions? Thanks a lot

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
no need for a high-performance computer May 17, 2010

Generally, I cannot think of any translation-specific application that would require the use of a true high-performance computer. Your computer is probably just too old and too slow for today's operating systems. Any *new* computer would be fast enough. However, what does matter a lot is ergonomics, especially a good keyboard that will not overstress your hands. Don't buy sight unseen - go to the store and have a feel, or better yet, type a page or two on it. Another important thing is reliabili... See more
Generally, I cannot think of any translation-specific application that would require the use of a true high-performance computer. Your computer is probably just too old and too slow for today's operating systems. Any *new* computer would be fast enough. However, what does matter a lot is ergonomics, especially a good keyboard that will not overstress your hands. Don't buy sight unseen - go to the store and have a feel, or better yet, type a page or two on it. Another important thing is reliability - you don't want your computer to fail in the middle of an important project; get a good brand known for its reliability.Collapse

Ileana-Manuela Balan
Ileana-Manuela Balan
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reliability and ergonomics, got it, cd you name any good brands? May 17, 2010

thank you very much. Your advice is really helpfull. I've been working a lot with Dell, they seem rather reliable. Do you have any other good brands in mind?

[Edited at 2010-05-17 20:46 GMT]

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Go to a reputable computer store May 18, 2010

one that will be in business for many years (so you can go back and complain if your computer doesn't work). Ask them for a reliable machine. Any "big" name is good: IBM, Dell, ASUS, Sony, etc. Get as much memory as you can afford, memory is more important than anything else.
I use Microsoft's Windows 7, Word and WordFast, but I think I read that WordFast also works with Word on a Mac. That might be even better, because Windows computers, even new ones, can develop some strange problems.... See more
one that will be in business for many years (so you can go back and complain if your computer doesn't work). Ask them for a reliable machine. Any "big" name is good: IBM, Dell, ASUS, Sony, etc. Get as much memory as you can afford, memory is more important than anything else.
I use Microsoft's Windows 7, Word and WordFast, but I think I read that WordFast also works with Word on a Mac. That might be even better, because Windows computers, even new ones, can develop some strange problems.
Don't worry too much about the price. After all, it's a necessary tool and you should be able to deduct at least part (if not all) from your taxes.
Good luck.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Yes and no... May 18, 2010

Benno Groeneveld wrote:

I use Microsoft's Windows 7, Word and WordFast, but I think I read that WordFast also works with Word on a Mac. That might be even better, because Windows computers, even new ones, can develop some strange problems.

WordFast Pro is a Java-based and multiplatform application. It will therefore work on a Mac. WordFast Classic, in turn, is a macros set within MS Word and requires VBA. Office:mac 2008 does not integrate VBA. One has to look for Office:mac 2004 for example... or wait and hope that the next Office:mac version has VBA integrated (which seems to be the case).

I have switched to an iMac back in August last year. And yes, I have by far less problems than with a PC. The computer just goes on running and working, even if there are X applications open. I cannot say that of my PC.

PS and caveat: I do not use any of the virtualisation software available on the market and therefore do not run T****s on my iMac. However, there are enough good Java-based CAT tools out there...

[Edited at 2010-05-18 04:47 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What kind of work will you do? May 18, 2010

If you go to a truck dealer to ask about the best kind of truck to buy, they will immediately ask you what kind of work you will do: what kind of load, what distances, what terrain, what additional comfort and technical requirements.

There is no single answer to your question. You first need to know (and tell us) what kind of methods and software you will use in your work. Assuming that you will use some computer-aided translation tool like MemoQ, SDL Trados Studio 2009, Deja Vu, Wo
... See more
If you go to a truck dealer to ask about the best kind of truck to buy, they will immediately ask you what kind of work you will do: what kind of load, what distances, what terrain, what additional comfort and technical requirements.

There is no single answer to your question. You first need to know (and tell us) what kind of methods and software you will use in your work. Assuming that you will use some computer-aided translation tool like MemoQ, SDL Trados Studio 2009, Deja Vu, Wordfast, etc., the only advice I feel I can give you at this stage is that you make sure you buy lots of RAM memory, with 2 GB as the very minimum, but preferably 4 GB or more. Good processor and hard disk performance, a good network card (all modern machines have one), and ideally a graphics card that will allow you to use two monitors, are good things to have as well.
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Standard answer # 17 May 18, 2010

The first thing you should always do (when buying anything) is set your maximum budget and then start looking for the best piece of eqiuipment you can find for that amount.

Important: you should always be ready to go a little over the budget in case you find something really nice, but costing a bit more than you have originally planned.

You can save on the CPU - don't need quadcore, you can save on the graphics, you can save on the sound, you can save on HDD size.
... See more
The first thing you should always do (when buying anything) is set your maximum budget and then start looking for the best piece of eqiuipment you can find for that amount.

Important: you should always be ready to go a little over the budget in case you find something really nice, but costing a bit more than you have originally planned.

You can save on the CPU - don't need quadcore, you can save on the graphics, you can save on the sound, you can save on HDD size.

But - buy as much RAM as possible, invest in quiet fans (case, CPU). There's nothing more annoying than a vacuum cleaner-like computer at one in the morning.
Try to get a passive cooled graphics card - one without a fan.

HTH,
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Important, IMO May 18, 2010

Definitely invest into a high-quality and wide LCD, at least 23". Two monitors can be advantageous in some scenarios too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

most suited type of computer for translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »