United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 9, 2010

I basically have two questions:

**1.**

What will XML mean to those of us who are not necessarily working in localisation?

SDL, Swordfish, etc., seem to be gravitating toward its use. However, almost everything I translate is in Word .doc's. So wouldn't it be better to simply stick to the old-fashioned Workbench (uncleaned/bilingual file) format? A lot of people seem to be complaining that SDL Studio is having serious problems converting their files back in
... See more
I basically have two questions:

**1.**

What will XML mean to those of us who are not necessarily working in localisation?

SDL, Swordfish, etc., seem to be gravitating toward its use. However, almost everything I translate is in Word .doc's. So wouldn't it be better to simply stick to the old-fashioned Workbench (uncleaned/bilingual file) format? A lot of people seem to be complaining that SDL Studio is having serious problems converting their files back into Word .doc's from Studio's new bilingual format: .sdlxliff.

Wouldn't it be better if SDL split their focus into two directions:
1. bilingual .doc for Word documents (MS Word-based workflow)
2. .sdlxliff for file formats with tags (new bilingual format)

After all, SDL is forcing a break with all of the translators out there (and their agencies!) who were/are comfortable with the MS Word-based workflow. Also, said workflow is actually a very pleasant and useful workflow between the translator + proofreader + agency.

**2.**

Can anyone suggest a good (preferably free) XML viewer/editor? As XML is becoming increasingly prevalent, I would like to start looking into its structure. (I presently am using Notepad++).

Thanks!

See: 'XML and the Translator', by Alan K. Melby, Ph.D. (http://accurapid.com/journal/12xml.htm)
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:07
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
No other way... May 9, 2010

Sorry, but bilingual doc/rtf files are a thing of the past. I do not wonder SDL does not want to support it - I would not comfortable if my business depended on a proprietary, third-party software...

As you said yourself, XML is the way of the future and MS workflow is not particularly well suited for that (it is possible, but it just adds another layer of error-prone conversion).

As for the editors, it happens that the topic was discussed lately at DonationCoder:
... See more
Sorry, but bilingual doc/rtf files are a thing of the past. I do not wonder SDL does not want to support it - I would not comfortable if my business depended on a proprietary, third-party software...

As you said yourself, XML is the way of the future and MS workflow is not particularly well suited for that (it is possible, but it just adds another layer of error-prone conversion).

As for the editors, it happens that the topic was discussed lately at DonationCoder:

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=22617

Still, if you're using right tools (i.e. CATs), the need to manually edit XML files should be minimal.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML and the Translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »