Spellcheck in Word running on Mac
Thread poster: Brian Young
Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:40
Danish to English
May 3, 2010

I receive Word documents in Danish. I try to use them as a template, to type over. It would be nice to use Spellcheck when I have finished a document, but I CANNOT get the language to remain as English, and the spellchecker does not work. I go back repeatedly to change the language from Danish to English as the default, and even when that works, the spellchecker just seems to give up. To be certain I am not overlooking typos, I have to copy and paste the entire document into Pages, which always ... See more
I receive Word documents in Danish. I try to use them as a template, to type over. It would be nice to use Spellcheck when I have finished a document, but I CANNOT get the language to remain as English, and the spellchecker does not work. I go back repeatedly to change the language from Danish to English as the default, and even when that works, the spellchecker just seems to give up. To be certain I am not overlooking typos, I have to copy and paste the entire document into Pages, which always works without a problem.
I am surprised that the document seems to embody the original language setting, and that it seems almost impossible to change.
Does anyone else experience this problem when running Office for Mac, or even on a PC?
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:40
German to Spanish
I use to May 3, 2010

select the whole text then select the language you want.
So you should be able to verify the document.

Regards

Julie Fragkaki
Julie Fragkaki
Local time: 05:40
English to Greek
+ ...
this works for me too! May 3, 2010

Fernando Toledo wrote:

select the whole text then select the language you want.
So you should be able to verify the document.

Regards

I use Word for mac as well and had the same problem with Greek. When I'm done with the translation I select the whole text and then change the language. It works for me!

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
TOPIC STARTER
spellcheck in mac May 3, 2010

Thanks for the tips
I will try that, and let you know if it works for me.
That was one thing that I had not thought to try.
Later!

Brian Young
United States
Danish to English
TOPIC STARTER
it works!!! May 4, 2010

Thanks Fernando and Panagiota.
I just tried that with several documents, and it worked well. What a relief!
That will save me a lot of work in the future.
Brian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellcheck in Word running on Mac

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »