Agency Wants Jobs Done in Browser - How do I Copy and Paste?
Thread poster: Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:14
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2010

Hello All,

I am currently working with a great agency. They have plenty of jobs, they pay on time, etc.
However, there is a major drawback: I have to do all my jobs in my browser (Firefox).
They have some sort of application where you translate the text segment by segment and you see the entire text in the browser window.

It is possible to copy and paste the entire text (with correct formatting) into a Word document and translate it with Trados. However, I n
... See more
Hello All,

I am currently working with a great agency. They have plenty of jobs, they pay on time, etc.
However, there is a major drawback: I have to do all my jobs in my browser (Firefox).
They have some sort of application where you translate the text segment by segment and you see the entire text in the browser window.

It is possible to copy and paste the entire text (with correct formatting) into a Word document and translate it with Trados. However, I need to get it back into their system. The basic method is to select paragraph by paragraph and copy each one into the according segment in their system.

Here's the procedure
Word window -> triple-click on paragraph to select -> Ctrl+V -> Switch to browser window -> Next paragraph (Enter) -> Ctrl+P -> back to Word window

This work is pretty monotonous and should be automated. What I need is some sort of tool or macro that lets me copy the entire translated text into the clipboard and then paste it into their system paragraph by paragraph.

Any ideas on how to realize this are greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Craig Meulen
Craig Meulen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:14
German to English
Have you asked them? May 2, 2010

I don't know of a clipboard tool that does what you want.

I would be surprised if you really need that 'workaround' solution. Most of these online systems are themselves designed for using translation memories, and I would assume there is an import function.

Have you asked their technical support? Ask about import/export functions for monolingual and/or bilingual files.

Regards
Craig

Emal Ghamsharick
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done that... May 2, 2010

I've talked to them about it. Whatever purpose they may be pursuing, it's not possible. There is no CAT interface.
I have e-mailed them the text files for some jobs. However, in this case the in-house staff needs to perform pretty much the same C&P procedure.
Also, in this case, I need to wait for them to unlock my account for further jobs, so this workaround would be the fastest and easiest solution for everyone.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A quick answer May 2, 2010

edm176 wrote:
Word window -> triple-click on paragraph to select -> Ctrl+V -> Switch to browser window -> Next paragraph (Enter) -> Ctrl+P -> back to Word window.

If the text has no formatting, and if you can put all your paragraphs (one per line) into a plain text file, then my little program AnyPaste might be for you. It reads one line in a text file at a time, and then pastes it when you press the paste shortcut:

http://leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/

You could possibly automate your copy/paste operation using AutoIt yourself. Can you do the entire operation without using your mouse? Alternatively, if you *have* to use the mouse, do you click in exactly the same place each time?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree with Craig's guess May 2, 2010

Craig Meulen wrote:
I would be surprised if you really need that 'workaround' solution.

Perhaps they expect you to translate within the web interface. In other words, the intention is never that you copy and paste the text into a different program -- the idea is that you translate every segment manually, in the browser.

I have had such jobs where the client had been utterly unable to export the text for me, and I was forced to use the browser. With AutoIt I'm able to write little scripts that automate some of the steps.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
T-Window for Clipboard May 3, 2010

Why don't you just use T-Window for Clipboard for these jobs? Or is that not included with recent Trados versions any more?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
T-Window for Clipboard May 3, 2010

tectranslate wrote:
Why don't you just use T-Window for Clipboard for these jobs? Or is that not included with recent Trados versions any more?

I bought Trados 2007/2009 recently, and yes, it is still included (as a component of the old Trados 2007). It is still a bit cumbersome, but it is useful nonetheless. I say cumbersome because you still need to click, select-all and copy the source text, and after that you still need to click, select-all and paste the target text. But... those actions can also be automated (again, using AutoIt or some other such automation tool).

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Select? May 3, 2010

I was fairly sure that it wasn't necessary to manually select the translated text to paste it into the browser window the last time I toyed around with the program.

I thought it was as easy as select - Ctrl+C - translate - Ctrl+V. But actually, I just tried it out and it seems you're right and it's no less cumbersome than any of the other solutions posted here. :-/

Emal Ghamsharick
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the great help! May 3, 2010

Special thanks to Samuel for the AutoIt tool. I just tried it and it's great.
However, the splitting of segments in my agency's interface is not consistent. Sometimes it splits after break, sometimes after a period. I.e., if I just automate the entire procedure, which I was able to do with AutoIt, the text in the interface will not be where it's supposed to be.
I asked the agency, since they developed the program, if they could also develop an application that'd let me c&p from Word
... See more
Special thanks to Samuel for the AutoIt tool. I just tried it and it's great.
However, the splitting of segments in my agency's interface is not consistent. Sometimes it splits after break, sometimes after a period. I.e., if I just automate the entire procedure, which I was able to do with AutoIt, the text in the interface will not be where it's supposed to be.
I asked the agency, since they developed the program, if they could also develop an application that'd let me c&p from Word.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency Wants Jobs Done in Browser - How do I Copy and Paste?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »