Searching a PDF
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:53
German to English
Nov 30, 2003

I use Adobe 6.0 for PDF files and have been running into a problem conducting searches. In the document below, for instance, there are four instances of the German word "Verlustschwere" but after I find the first instance, the search feature won't take me to the other three.

http://www.kfw.de/DE/Kreditverbriefung/Schmidtchen_Kraemer-Eis_06-02.pdf
... See more
I use Adobe 6.0 for PDF files and have been running into a problem conducting searches. In the document below, for instance, there are four instances of the German word "Verlustschwere" but after I find the first instance, the search feature won't take me to the other three.

I'd appreciate advice on how to use the search feature correctly.
Kim
Collapse

Ron Peek
Ron Peek  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:53
German to English
+ ...
No problem in Acrobat Reader 5.0 using binocular icons Nov 30, 2003

Dear Kim,

I have looked at the document (in Acrobat Reader 5.0) and had no problem finding the first instance and going to the others. I did this by first clicking on the binoculars icon, typed in the word, and to find the next instance I clicked on the smaller binocular icon with the arrow on top.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Kim Metzger wrote:

I'd appreciate advice on how to use the search feature correctly.
Kim

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 08:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
use the second search icon Nov 30, 2003

Hi Kim,

I found the four instances where that word came up in your document by using the "search" icon (the binoculars in the tool bar at the top), and then the "search for more" icon right next to it (to the right--it shows binoculars with a curving arrow over them). After the first instance is found (and highlighted), just keep clicking this second icon, and any other instances of the word in question will be highlighted until it can't find any more.

Hope it helps.... See more
Hi Kim,

I found the four instances where that word came up in your document by using the "search" icon (the binoculars in the tool bar at the top), and then the "search for more" icon right next to it (to the right--it shows binoculars with a curving arrow over them). After the first instance is found (and highlighted), just keep clicking this second icon, and any other instances of the word in question will be highlighted until it can't find any more.

Hope it helps.
Cindy
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:53
English to German
Works here as well Nov 30, 2003

What exactly is the symptom, Kim?

Is it like this:
You find one occurrence, click on Find again (or press CTRL-G - do you know this nice shortcut for searching for the same term again? It works even when the search dialog is not open), Acrobat tells you "You have searched up to the beginning of the document. Do you want to continue ...blabla". You click on "OK", and Acrobat stops again at the occurrence it had found previously?

Endre

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Searching a PDF Nov 30, 2003

Thanks everyone, for your prompt replies. I must have a corrupted version of Adobe 6.0.
After I use the binoculars for the first search, I click on new search but it keeps taking me to the first instance. CTRL-G doesn't work on my English Windows XP. And I can't find the "search for more" icon next to the main icon. Maybe I need to download another copy of Adobe 6.0?

wrtransco
wrtransco
Local time: 02:53
German to English
+ ...
I have 6.0 Nov 30, 2003

Kim Metzger wrote:

... I must have a corrupted version of Adobe 6.0....
After I use the binoculars for the first search, .... Maybe I need to download another copy of Adobe 6.0?

Yes, you probably should get a new copy. I have 6.0 and used it on your document. All 4 instances were indicated after a search. I was able to go from one to the next by just clicking on it.

Good luck!

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Searching a PDF Dec 1, 2003

No dice for me. I downloaded another copy of 6.0 and received two options: Repair or Remove. I clicked on Repair (this option fixes missing or corrupt files) and now there's no difference. I still can't get beyond the first instance of a word when doing a search. I guess I'll have to wait till Adobe Reader 7.0 comes out and maybe it will work for me then.
Thanks for all the suggestions, Kim

moconnor
moconnor
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dont do a new search Dec 1, 2003

If I'm reading correctly, it sounds as though you are again using the Find tool (the binoculars) as you said 'new search' - this will always take you to the first instance of the word you are looking for. To find following occurrences of the same word in a pdf file, as Ron stated above you need simply click on the 'Find next' tool, which is located alongside - a smaller set of bonculars with an arrow coming up above it. Aplogies if I'm misreading... See more
If I'm reading correctly, it sounds as though you are again using the Find tool (the binoculars) as you said 'new search' - this will always take you to the first instance of the word you are looking for. To find following occurrences of the same word in a pdf file, as Ron stated above you need simply click on the 'Find next' tool, which is located alongside - a smaller set of bonculars with an arrow coming up above it. Aplogies if I'm misreadingCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching a PDF

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »