Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:10
German to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2003

I purchased Dragon 7.2 Professional (voice recognition software) in August and have been using it successfully since, with MS Word and Trados 5.5 simultaneously. I have a Pentium III, with speed of 800 and 560 RAM.

Recently, I have had to give up using Trados because it slows Dragon down so much (e.g. 2 words in 8 seconds). Obviously, this is a big hassle, if I want to do a tranlation which has many terms I am sure are in my Trados TM.

Before I submit an e-mail request
... See more
I purchased Dragon 7.2 Professional (voice recognition software) in August and have been using it successfully since, with MS Word and Trados 5.5 simultaneously. I have a Pentium III, with speed of 800 and 560 RAM.

Recently, I have had to give up using Trados because it slows Dragon down so much (e.g. 2 words in 8 seconds). Obviously, this is a big hassle, if I want to do a tranlation which has many terms I am sure are in my Trados TM.

Before I submit an e-mail request to Scansoft Technical Support, at a cost of $19.95, I would like to know if any of you has had the same problem and if you have been able to resolve it.

Any assistance much appreciated.
Collapse

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Local time: 05:10
Swedish to English
Problems with TRADOS Nov 26, 2003

I too noticed that the performance of my desktop P.C. computer had become sluggish after using Trados freelance 6.0 for about 4 months. Quite by chance, I was offered a "register cleaner" programme as a freebi with a computer magazine. This programme found several hundred dead "hotkey" links in the register, which I removed. It also found nearly a thousand broken links, which I also removed. Most of these links where attributable till Trados, so either I have made an incorrect installation (or i... See more
I too noticed that the performance of my desktop P.C. computer had become sluggish after using Trados freelance 6.0 for about 4 months. Quite by chance, I was offered a "register cleaner" programme as a freebi with a computer magazine. This programme found several hundred dead "hotkey" links in the register, which I removed. It also found nearly a thousand broken links, which I also removed. Most of these links where attributable till Trados, so either I have made an incorrect installation (or installed something else which disturbs Trados) or Trados itself is amessy programme that leaves lots of dead links after it.

I would recommend to anybody who has experienced that "down" feeling to pperform this check. The programme I used is called " jv16 PowerTools " although there are a number of other free tools available on the net.

//Nigel
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:10
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados not necessarily the problem Nov 26, 2003

[quote]Nigel Skipper wrote:

I too noticed that the performance of my desktop P.C. computer had become sluggish after using Trados freelance 6.0 for about 4 months.

Thanks for your comments , Nigel. I have had Trados for about 2½ years and it has n't slowed down my computer. Dragon, on the other hand, is now supposed to be Trados-compatible but "this town ain't big enough for two of them".

I wonder if anyone has trouble with Word, Dragon and Trados all working together simultaneously.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:10
Member (2004)
English to Italian
upgrade your processor... Nov 26, 2003

although the amount of RAM is ok, a PC with a 800 Mhz processor is never going to be fast enough for both Dragon and Trados. I used to have a Pentium III 600 Mhz and it was a snail, even with a large amount of memory. Unfortunately, if you want to upgrade the processor, you will probably need to replace the motherboard as well, since the new processors are often incompatible with PIII models. Also, how much free space have you got left on your hard disk? Have you defragmented it recently?
... See more
although the amount of RAM is ok, a PC with a 800 Mhz processor is never going to be fast enough for both Dragon and Trados. I used to have a Pentium III 600 Mhz and it was a snail, even with a large amount of memory. Unfortunately, if you want to upgrade the processor, you will probably need to replace the motherboard as well, since the new processors are often incompatible with PIII models. Also, how much free space have you got left on your hard disk? Have you defragmented it recently?
I would suggest you get a spanking new PC, if you can afford it. PCs are our work horses, aren't they? Can you imagine Michael Schumacher trying to win the F1 championship on a Minardi?

Regards,

Giovanni

[Edited at 2003-11-26 10:06]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:10
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try RTF instead of DOC Nov 26, 2003

[quote]Robin Salmon wrote:
Recently, I have had to give up using Trados because it slows Dragon down so much (e.g. 2 words in 8 seconds).

I use Dragon Preferred, MS Word 2000, Trados 6 very successfully. I agree with others that you need a high-spec PC, regular defragmentation etc, a tidy registry, minimising the automatic loading of other software competing for memory, etc etc to get the best out of such software combinations. I have also found it helps to convert MS Word DOCs into RTFs before starting (Trados does that anyway when you clean up).

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
JV16 is no longer free Nov 26, 2003

Nigel Skipper wrote:

The programme I used is called " jv16 PowerTools " although there are a number of other free tools available on the net.

Alas. This is a fantastic program, but the newest version finally went commercial. It's not expensive (something like $ 30, I think) and worth every penny, but it's not free anymore.
IMHO it works better than Norton's Systemworks.

Pawel Skalinski

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Optimising the interface between Word 97/2000 and Trados (or any other application) Nov 26, 2003

Hi,
the following is from the Trados FAQ, but could help for any application used in conjunction with Word or also to improve the performance of stand-alone MS Word.
I found it very helpful, in fact Word for default, uses only 64 Mb of all the system RAM.
Bye

Because of their high consumption of RAM, Word 97 and 2000 can get slow when they interact with Translator's Workbench, especially in documents that contain more than 50 pages.

With a Word
... See more
Hi,
the following is from the Trados FAQ, but could help for any application used in conjunction with Word or also to improve the performance of stand-alone MS Word.
I found it very helpful, in fact Word for default, uses only 64 Mb of all the system RAM.
Bye

Because of their high consumption of RAM, Word 97 and 2000 can get slow when they interact with Translator's Workbench, especially in documents that contain more than 50 pages.

With a Word macro that is included in the installation CD of Word 97 and Word 2000 you can speed up Word considerably.

Steps:

The template file containing the macro is called support8.dot (Word 97) or support9.dot (Word 2000) and can be started by double-clicking the file name in Windows Explorer.
Once the DOT has opened in Word, select the first option, Double click here to run RegOptions.
In the right window that comes up, doubleclick on the Double click here to run RegOptions macro ... option.
In the upcoming dialog chose CacheSize. The default is set to 64 K. Set this value to 512 and click OK. Repeat the same procedure with the BitmapMemory value.

There are many more measures that can speed up Word 97 or Word 2000. For more comprehensive information, see the articles Q160068 (Word 97) as well as Q239431 and Q237356 (Word 2000) in the Microsoft support knowledge base at http://support.microsoft.com.

NOTE

This template is not included in the Japanese version of Microsoft Office 97 and 2000; however it is included in the XP version.

[Edited at 2003-11-26 10:31]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon 7.2 Professional slowed down by Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »