Valentín Hernández Lima
Valentín Hernández Lima  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:13
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 24, 2003

Just to tell you that this LAN connection works normally with all other links and opens all other sites, with the same speed and general perfomance.

Thank you.

Dear friends,

Since yesterday I have not been able to open any pages from the Proz.com site. The links to Proz.com in the messages I receive in my mailbox are also dead. If I type directly www.proz.com in the address bar,
... See more
Just to tell you that this LAN connection works normally with all other links and opens all other sites, with the same speed and general perfomance.

Thank you.

Dear friends,

Since yesterday I have not been able to open any pages from the Proz.com site. The links to Proz.com in the messages I receive in my mailbox are also dead. If I type directly www.proz.com in the address bar, MS Explorer 5.50 on one computer or MS Explorer 6.0 on a second computer starts the search for three or four minutes but ends up with a “The page cannot be displayed” message.

However, this occurs only when trying to access Proz.com from the LAN connection I have been using flawlessly for a long time. When I switch to an alternative dial-in connection on the same computers I have complete access to all pages in the Proz.com site.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Collapse

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:13
English to Romanian
+ ...
Firewall misconfigured? Nov 24, 2003

Hi Valentin!

Do you have a firewall installed on the machine failing to connect to Proz.com website? If you do, check to see if you haven't accidently blocked the access in your firewall.

Regards from Bucharest,
Doru Voin

Valentín Hernández Lima
Spain
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I made a test with the firewall off Nov 24, 2003

Thank you so much, Doru.

I had already made some tests with the firewall off and got the same results.

I also contacted my ISP to see whether this could be a problem with the provider itself.

Kindest regards,

V

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
English to Polish
+ ...
Problems with a local DNS? Nov 24, 2003

Try http://66.220.3.120

Valentín Hernández Lima
Spain
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good point, Rzawadzk Nov 24, 2003

Thank you, I see that I have access to Proz.com by typing http://66.220.3.120, as you suggested, through a dial-in connection, but do not have any access through my LAN connection.

Maybe this means that the problem lies in my ISP LAN connection provider.

My appreciation to you.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
English to Polish
+ ...
That points to a firewall, rather Nov 24, 2003

When you give IP in the address bar, DNS is not used. This rather means that something blocks that particular address. This can be your LAN, or an ISP.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:13
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Wait and see, Valentín Nov 24, 2003

I know that since Saturday night some Moderators located in different places have had trouble to access, and not all at the same time.

Valentín Hernández Lima
Spain
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ever so much, Claudia Nov 24, 2003

That is somehow reassuring. Yes, I shut down both computers close to midnight hours (local time) on Saturday after requesting help from our colleagues for a medicine question. I detected the problem early around 6:30 (local time) on Sunday.

Much appreciated,

V

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Addendum to my technical support request

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »