Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:43
English to French
+ ...
Nov 22, 2003

To all excel users,

My Excel files won't open. One day they did the next they didn't. all I see is the Excel page TRYING to open to no avail. And if I click on Ctrl+Alt+Suppr the computer just stops and restarts.

I have turned to Microsoft newsgroup and did what was advised: unistall Office 2000 and reinstall. No progress. I unistalled it again and downloaded a thingamebob to remove every little bit of Office 2000 which might have stayed in the depth of the register. In
... See more
To all excel users,

My Excel files won't open. One day they did the next they didn't. all I see is the Excel page TRYING to open to no avail. And if I click on Ctrl+Alt+Suppr the computer just stops and restarts.

I have turned to Microsoft newsgroup and did what was advised: unistall Office 2000 and reinstall. No progress. I unistalled it again and downloaded a thingamebob to remove every little bit of Office 2000 which might have stayed in the depth of the register. Installed again. Still the same. I just feel like hitting my monitor with a hammer;
I now turn to you in desperation, selfishly hoping someone else has experienced that misfortune...and found a solution.

thanking you in advance for any advice other than uninstalling and re installing,
Claudette
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No guaranted solution, but Nov 22, 2003

Have you tried to download and install ALL patches for Office 2000, that are available on MS homepage?
The patches for Internet Explorer and Windows are essential for the security of your system, so many computer newspapers and mailing lists or other sources advise to install them, but Office patches are not that essential, so many do not even notice them. But these patches solve a lot of problems within the Office software, so it is really worth to install them. Maybe afterwards you will
... See more
Have you tried to download and install ALL patches for Office 2000, that are available on MS homepage?
The patches for Internet Explorer and Windows are essential for the security of your system, so many computer newspapers and mailing lists or other sources advise to install them, but Office patches are not that essential, so many do not even notice them. But these patches solve a lot of problems within the Office software, so it is really worth to install them. Maybe afterwards you will be able to open your Excel file.

I would give them at least a try - if they are still available.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 19:13
English to Assamese
+ ...
I had it once. Nov 23, 2003

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

To all excel users,

I have turned to Microsoft newsgroup and did what was advised: unistall Office 2000 and reinstall. No progress. I unistalled it again and downloaded a thingamebob to remove every little bit of Office 2000 which might have stayed in the depth of the register. Installed again. Still the same. I just feel like hitting my monitor with a hammer;
I now turn to you in desperation, selfishly hoping someone else has experienced that misfortune...and found a solution.

thanking you in advance for any advice other than uninstalling and re installing,
Claudette

I had faced a similar problem with MSWord once. I click a doc file icon and only the MSWORD program would start without actually opening the particular file. I just cannot remember at this moment how I had solved that problem. But as a temporary solution I recommend this simple procedure which is known to every one.Once MSEXCEL starts you simply go to the File menu and click open. In the dialogue box browse to the file you want to open and voila it is there. I am afraid you have to follow this painful procedure everytime you want to open an excel file.

..... Now, I remember when my trouble started. It all began when I tried foolishly to open a bat file ( a prank program I wrote to scare my friends )with MSWORD by using the open-with menu.

Solution ? Backup all your documents, format c drive, re-install windows. Nothing else works. Believe me. It is one of those quirky things all Microsoft products tend to have.

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 19:13
English to Assamese
+ ...
Good idea. Nov 23, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I would give them at least a try - if they are still available.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Apart from what I had written earlier this appears to me as a neat suggestion. In addition, have you tried mycomputer>tools>folder option>file-types>XLS>change>MSEXCEL.

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Open the Excel program first. Nov 23, 2003

Then open the file from Excel.

In other words, do not double click on the file to open it.

Give it a try. Good luck.

Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
No guarantee, but... Nov 23, 2003

I had the same problem twice, and searching the Internet forums (after reinstalling Office, etc.) I found the solution was soooo easy: search for excel.xlb in your PC (it should be under C:WINDOWS/Application Data/Microsoft/Excel/Excel.xlb) --> delete it. Now open Excel. Problem solved!

This problem may occur if the Excel toolbar file (Excel.xlb) is damaged.

Hope this he
... See more
I had the same problem twice, and searching the Internet forums (after reinstalling Office, etc.) I found the solution was soooo easy: search for excel.xlb in your PC (it should be under C:WINDOWS/Application Data/Microsoft/Excel/Excel.xlb) --> delete it. Now open Excel. Problem solved!

Hope this helps!

www.FelixSaiz.com

[Edited at 2003-11-23 11:36]
Collapse

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't believe it! Nov 23, 2003

Félix Saiz Roldán wrote:

Hope this helps!

Yes, it does help! Félix you are a genius. Up to five minutes ago, when I gloomily started to search for .xlb I had lost all hope of recovering both sanity and Excel. I had tried whatever had been so kindly suggested here, only to end up having to reboot for the umpteenth time. Many thanks indeed for your kind replies. I hope that Félix's trick will remain in your memory for the time when you may need it.
There is now a smile on my face for the first time in two days.
I still can't believe it.

Thanks a million, Félix.

Claudette

[Edited at 2003-11-23 11:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel does not excel

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »