Thread poster: Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2003

I am seriously considering purchasing a new PC and that will involve going from Windows 98 to Windows XP, which is part of the package of the new system that I am probably going to buy.

I have one or two queries, however, regarding compatibility with software and peripherals that I currently have and would want to include with the new system:

1) I have Word 97, but I seem to recall reading a while ago somewhere that this won't run on Windows XP. Is this still the case o
... See more
I am seriously considering purchasing a new PC and that will involve going from Windows 98 to Windows XP, which is part of the package of the new system that I am probably going to buy.

I have one or two queries, however, regarding compatibility with software and peripherals that I currently have and would want to include with the new system:

1) I have Word 97, but I seem to recall reading a while ago somewhere that this won't run on Windows XP. Is this still the case or is there now no problem with this?

2) I also have Trados Freelance 5.5. Is this compatible with the XP operating system?

3) Finally, I have a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 840C and a Canon N650U scanner, which were both purchased about 2-3 years ago. Would I be likely to encounter any problems adding these to a PC with Windows XP rather than Windows 98?

I'd be very grateful for any input on these points, since, as you may have guessed, I'm not exactly a computer expert, but, if at all possible, I would want to avoid having to purchase Office XP unless it was absolutely essential. TIA for any help.
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:01
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Word 97 and Trados 5.5 on WinXP Nov 20, 2003

Hi, Paul.

I've used for a few months both Word 97 and Trados 5.5 on WinXP, no problems.
In fact I could run on it all the sw I had on Win98 with no problems.

HtH,
Roberta

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Most probalby no problems at all Nov 20, 2003

Paul Stevens wrote:

1) I have Word 97, but I seem to recall reading a while ago somewhere that this won't run on Windows XP. Is this still the case or is there now no problem with this?

It should run even under Windows XP, but I would recommend you to upgrade at least to Office XP, because of a much better stability as Word 97. Trados 5.5 does support Office XP allready. Consider upgrading to Trados 6.5 and to Office 2003 - this could be the best move you can do now. Installing first Word 97 and then upgrading, what means installing new Word/Office over the old installation is not the best way. My experience is, that it is better to install only the newest software, just keepind the settings from the old one by copying them from the Normal.dot you have now.

2) I also have Trados Freelance 5.5. Is this compatible with the XP operating system?

As far I have seen it, even Trados 3.0 works with Windows XP, however I have never tested all of its features in this environment. Trados 5.5 has however worked correctly with Windows XP home for some time, before I upgraded to Trados 6 in this year.

3) Finally, I have a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 840C and a Canon N650U scanner, which were both purchased about 2-3 years ago. Would I be likely to encounter any problems adding these to a PC with Windows XP rather than Windows 98?

You can check at the homepage of Hewlett Packard and Canon, if they ofer drivers for this devices under Windows XP, but usually they do.

Kind regards
Jerzy

I'd be very grateful for any input on these points, since, as you may have guessed, I'm not exactly a computer expert, but, if at all possible, I would want to avoid having to purchase Office XP unless it was absolutely essential. TIA for any help.

[/quote]

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
As for your scanner and printer, Nov 20, 2003

you can download new drivers here:

http://ww2.canon-europe.com/support/driver_download/index.asp

and h
... See more
you can download new drivers here:

http://ww2.canon-europe.com/support/driver_download/index.asp

and here:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/taskPageSelect.jhtml?reg=&plc=en&lc=en&cc=gb&prodId=hpdeskjet819045&pagetype=software&docparent=software

However, these drivers will most probably be included in Windows XP.

Anyway, both of your hardware will run on Win XP. I strongly recommend upgrading to XP - you can forget blue screens and other troubles. This is probably the first time, Microsoft has delivered a real stable system. But don't omit downloading all the patches from Microsoft site - both for Windows and Office.
Best regards
Andrzej
Collapse

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good move. Nov 20, 2003

I just updated from Win 98 to XP and wish I\'d done it a long time ago. No problems so far with Trados Freelance 5.5. In fact, it seems to work better!

Good luck.

Ana

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2003

Thank you very much to everybody that has taken the time to post replies on this thread. Your comments have been of great assistance.

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Windows XP Nov 24, 2003

http://www.01net.com/article/223415.html

The article is in French, I think, you can read it.

Geneviève

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions re update to Windows XP from Windows 98

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »