Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 15, 2003

I experienced a black-out a week ago in my neighborhood. Nothing big for most but I was a nervous wreck since I had a deadline to respect. Fortunately I was almost done. Another project manager had emailed me a small urgent project that I had to decline because of the other deadline. I might have been able to do it but I had preferred to stay on the wise side. How well inspired was I! Now imagine if I had accepted. With the black-out I never would have been able to be on time and it would have b... See more
I experienced a black-out a week ago in my neighborhood. Nothing big for most but I was a nervous wreck since I had a deadline to respect. Fortunately I was almost done. Another project manager had emailed me a small urgent project that I had to decline because of the other deadline. I might have been able to do it but I had preferred to stay on the wise side. How well inspired was I! Now imagine if I had accepted. With the black-out I never would have been able to be on time and it would have been bad for my reputation.
What kind of back-up do fellow translators use when facing such a situation?
The second manager is a new client and I have store her info in my computer. I would not have been able to call her to let her know about the delay.
What a lesson!
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:33
English to Italian
+ ...
UPS and a laptop connected to your network Nov 15, 2003

soizic wrote:

What kind of back-up do fellow translators use when facing such a situation?

Hi,
I use an UPS protecting my server and I have also a laptop connected to my network. With a reasonable data back-up policy, this protects me quite well from power failures. I would also reccomend some protection criteria in case of hard disk/CPU failures.
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines/cable issues, for delivering very urgent jobs.

[Edited at 2003-11-17 01:05]

Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good ideas Nov 16, 2003

Thanks Massimo! I am going to save your email. Your suggestions are very helpful.

Soizic

[/quote]
I use an UPS protecting my server and I have also a laptop connected to my network. With a reasonable data back-up policy, this protects me quite well from power failures. I would also reccomend some protection criteria in case of hard disk/CPU failures.
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines issues, for delivering very
... See more
Thanks Massimo! I am going to save your email. Your suggestions are very helpful.

Soizic

[/quote]
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines issues, for delivering very urgent jobs.

[Edited at 2003-11-15 20:53][/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Black-out: no connection

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »