Is it possible to repair a damaged zip file?
Thread poster: Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Local time: 20:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 12, 2003

I has happened to me tha the .zip file I have downloaded is damaged. It is not the first time it happened to me, and I would like to know if there is any tool to restore it instead of downloading it again.
Thank you very much in advance.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
To a certain extent Nov 13, 2003

Pkzip has an utility called PKZIPFIX.EXE. It can reconstruct a damaged header of a zip file. If the problem is in data part of the file, the answer is usually 'no, you cannot salvage it'.

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:05
French to English
Corrupted or damaged Nov 13, 2003

Rocío Boada del Sol wrote:

I has happened to me tha the .zip file I have downloaded is damaged. It is not the first time it happened to me, and I would like to know if there is any tool to restore it instead of downloading it again.
Thank you very much in advance.

It may simply be corrupted (during transmission). In that case, just downloading it again will fix the problem. Corruption can happen if you have a slow connection.

If it is damaged, you can use ZipRecovery (more info at http://www.officerecovery.com/zip/). I have used it several times and it did an excellent job.

HTH,
Karin Adamczyk

[Edited at 2003-11-13 14:38]

[Edited at 2003-11-13 14:38]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Download the file again Nov 13, 2003

If the ZIP contains only one file, most probably you will not be able to recover it. If it contains several files, you might be able to recover some of them, but some will be lost. So I think you should download the file again.

You could also check if you have downloaded the file completely (compare file sizes). Internet Explorer sometimes downloads only part of a file, but it does not report any error. If this is your case, you could just resume downloading instead of starting agai
... See more
If the ZIP contains only one file, most probably you will not be able to recover it. If it contains several files, you might be able to recover some of them, but some will be lost. So I think you should download the file again.

You could also check if you have downloaded the file completely (compare file sizes). Internet Explorer sometimes downloads only part of a file, but it does not report any error. If this is your case, you could just resume downloading instead of starting again, but you would need a software tool (called download manager). I use Total Commander (www.ghisler.com) for downloading large files and for downloading from FTP servers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to repair a damaged zip file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »