Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:40
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 7, 2003

Can anybody tell me if AutoCAD files with .dwg and .dxf extensions may be opened in some other program? Not simply for viewing, of course, but for translation. Or should I better ask the client to export them into another approproate format (BTW, into what formats the AutoCAD files may be exported?)

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. Needless to say that I have no AutoCAD, so multiple converters from dwg to dxf and vice versa available on the Internet are useless for me
<
... See more
Can anybody tell me if AutoCAD files with .dwg and .dxf extensions may be opened in some other program? Not simply for viewing, of course, but for translation. Or should I better ask the client to export them into another approproate format (BTW, into what formats the AutoCAD files may be exported?)

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. Needless to say that I have no AutoCAD, so multiple converters from dwg to dxf and vice versa available on the Internet are useless for me

[Edited at 2003-11-07 01:42]
Collapse

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
Volo View Express Nov 7, 2003

Natalie wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance!

This is a free program from Autodesk, maker of AutoCAD. It supposedly lets you view AutoCAD files.

I don't think there is a way for you to translate within the documents without a full version of AutoCAD installed.

I am currently working with an architetural firm locally. I have to go to their office to input the text strings onsite.

Silvio Picinini
Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
DXF is the way Nov 7, 2003

Natalie wrote:

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dear Natalie

DXF is a text file. If you can transform your dwg file into DXF (or have the client do that), you would have a (pretty large) text file that you could open in MS Word, for example. You probably can figure out what is the text to be translated inthe DXF, and what is formatting.

Good luck

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
Better use AutoCAD for editing the text Nov 7, 2003

Dear Natalie,

I can only recommend to use AutoCAD to translate dwg files. If you convert dwg files into dxf files for translating them the way silvio described and convert them back to dwg, you'll lose essential drawing information since dxf is only the smallest common denominator to exchange drawing files between different programs.
If you have to translate a dxf file, you can translate a dxf file in word but be aware that you only translate the string content and not a comma
... See more
Dear Natalie,

I can only recommend to use AutoCAD to translate dwg files. If you convert dwg files into dxf files for translating them the way silvio described and convert them back to dwg, you'll lose essential drawing information since dxf is only the smallest common denominator to exchange drawing files between different programs.
If you have to translate a dxf file, you can translate a dxf file in word but be aware that you only translate the string content and not a command, and try to keep the length of the string close to the original length to avoid later problems. A hardcopy of the drawing helps you translating.
Another way to translate it is, to ask your client to make an Excel or World table with the strings to be translated. You translate the strings then in the table and your client does the editing. This is the best if you have no experience with CAD software. If you try to edit drawings in AutoCAD without any experience, you might damage the drawing content unintentionally without being aware of it.

Best regards,

Tobi
Collapse

Domenica Grangiotti
Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Bentley View Nov 7, 2003

Check this link:
http://www2.bentley.com/products/default.cfm?objectid=BB62EF6B-BE3A-474A-9F055A2E5678CEA2&method=display&p_objectid=BB62EF6B-BE3A-474A-9F055A2E5678CEA2

You can download a program to *view* dxf and dwg file (absolutely for free).
Then you can prin
... See more
Check this link:
http://www2.bentley.com/products/default.cfm?objectid=BB62EF6B-BE3A-474A-9F055A2E5678CEA2&method=display&p_objectid=BB62EF6B-BE3A-474A-9F055A2E5678CEA2

You can download a program to *view* dxf and dwg file (absolutely for free).
Then you can print them as pdf files and use an OCR to get a word file.

Good luck
Domenica
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Dear all, Nov 7, 2003

I am very grateful for all your suggestions!

Natalia

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Bentley View Nov 7, 2003

This is the right tool. Bentley View is excellent application. Free, available in many languages, stable.

Wojtek Froelich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.dwg and .dxf files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »