Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2003

I wonder has anyone had any problems with ACER, like I have had?

Since Septmeber I have been trying to find out where to send my laptop for a small repair to my number one which doesn't work.

Website gives two phone numbers, one just sends you back to websirte, the other is a call center that simply leaves you
hanging on, potentially for hours, but which doesn't respond as such. The contact email address simply does not respond.

What can one do with
... See more
I wonder has anyone had any problems with ACER, like I have had?

Since Septmeber I have been trying to find out where to send my laptop for a small repair to my number one which doesn't work.

Website gives two phone numbers, one just sends you back to websirte, the other is a call center that simply leaves you
hanging on, potentially for hours, but which doesn't respond as such. The contact email address simply does not respond.

What can one do with virtual companies like this? The sense of frustration is incredble, but worse, I feel SO TOTALLY OUTRAGED at this treatment. I spent 2000 euros on my laptop. And I just wonder what would happen if it were a major breakdown.

Has anybody any advice?

The fact is if they refuse to reply there is very little one feels one can do except simply never buy an ACER again, but that's hardly a solution for now, nor does it address the principles involved.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:18
French to Spanish
+ ...
Terrible for me, too! Nov 4, 2003

I had the same VERY bad experience with ACER, down here in Mexico. I bought an ACER in 1998, and nothing but problems... and very soon. Sigo en español, perdón. Nulo servicio a clientes: tuve que ir varias veces al otro lado de la ciudad (y la Ciudad de México es la más grande del mundo, imagínate)... nada, largas y largas... la paciencia se me acabó bastante rápido, y tuve que optar por arreglarla por mi cuenta. Le tuve que cambiar el disco duro creo que 3 veces... nada, opté por tirarl... See more
I had the same VERY bad experience with ACER, down here in Mexico. I bought an ACER in 1998, and nothing but problems... and very soon. Sigo en español, perdón. Nulo servicio a clientes: tuve que ir varias veces al otro lado de la ciudad (y la Ciudad de México es la más grande del mundo, imagínate)... nada, largas y largas... la paciencia se me acabó bastante rápido, y tuve que optar por arreglarla por mi cuenta. Le tuve que cambiar el disco duro creo que 3 veces... nada, opté por tirarla a la basura hace dos años... ACER, además, cerró bastante rápido aquí, ya no existe. En mi opinión, arréglala por tu cuenta, y al próximo problema serio, tírala a la basura, y ¡tus 2 mil euros!
Bueno, a lo mejor en España hay otros recursos: defensa del consumidor, etc. Nada, mucha suerte y mantenme informado si algo sacas.

Juan.
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Should there not be a sort of blueboard for such indifferent service providers? Nov 4, 2003

I believe it is a good solution. We translators are a good market for the software and hardware providers. It is time we get our act together and make life hell for such people. More inputs from my fellow members please. As a start, I suggest that a person making an entry in this blueboard should be able to substantiate his/her accusations by means of invoices, complaint emails and other mails, robotic and moronic replies from the guilty parties etc.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Use small local independent providers Nov 4, 2003

I used to buy my computers from large chain stores, but realized they're no good.
The last couple of times I've bought computers through a small, local (one-man) independent provider.

He's cheap, but very good, he performs repairs almost from day to day, he can provide any type of computer which he builds after your requirements, and has a wide range of both hardware and software. His motto is: if I haven't got, I'll get it.

Big chains/stores often employ young un
... See more
I used to buy my computers from large chain stores, but realized they're no good.
The last couple of times I've bought computers through a small, local (one-man) independent provider.

He's cheap, but very good, he performs repairs almost from day to day, he can provide any type of computer which he builds after your requirements, and has a wide range of both hardware and software. His motto is: if I haven't got, I'll get it.

Big chains/stores often employ young under-skilled gung-ho men who care more for selling useless hardware than providing a decent service. And they always have someone else to blame or refer to.
Collapse

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
3 años con ACER Nov 4, 2003

PERFECTO EN TODO,ningun problema ni en servicios ni en material.
María

RosaT
RosaT  Identity Verified
Spain
Ningún problema en mi caso Nov 4, 2003

Hace poco llamé a Acer para una reparación. Mi garantía original era para España y, aún así, no tuve ningún problema aquí en Inglaterra. Recuerdo haber llamado también a España y no tuve problemas de espera.

Recogieron mi ordenador a través de una compañía de transportes, arreglaron la avería (y cambiaron la carcasa, que estaba agrietada, sin que yo lo pidiera) y me devolvieron el ordenador sin ningún problema.

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 15:18
Norwegian to English
I had similar problems with D-Link Nov 4, 2003

I bought a D-Link DI-604 Internet gateway from Radio Shack in August. Right from the start, the thing seemed to be erratic, and every now and then I would lose my Internet connection. Usually, after a lot of switching on and off, restarting the PC, and so on, it would start working again. However, about three weeks ago, it stopped working and would not restart. Radio Shack told me that since it was more than 30 days since I purchased the equipment, any claim on the warranty would have to be made... See more
I bought a D-Link DI-604 Internet gateway from Radio Shack in August. Right from the start, the thing seemed to be erratic, and every now and then I would lose my Internet connection. Usually, after a lot of switching on and off, restarting the PC, and so on, it would start working again. However, about three weeks ago, it stopped working and would not restart. Radio Shack told me that since it was more than 30 days since I purchased the equipment, any claim on the warranty would have to be made directly to the manufacturer. This proved to be easier said and done! When I called the D-Link customer service line, I first got a recorded message saying that "due to back to school" they were experiencing longer than usual waiting times. It should be pointed out that school had started about SIX WEEKS previously! Anyway, no matter how long I waited on hold, I never got a reply. I left a message asking them to contact me, which they never did. I also tried pressing other menu options, but discovered that I could not get a reply on any of them. I just sat hour after hour listening to pop music that I really didn't like. Some of the menu options actually gave me new numbers to call, but all of them just returned me to square one, as it were, at the top of exactly the same menu tree. I looked up D-Link in the telephone directory, found a number in Toronto and called that, but got exactly the same recorded message and interminable menus as on their 1-800 number, and needless to say, I got no reply there, either, no matter which option I chose. I wrote an e-mail to their support address, but got no reply - that is until ONE WEEK later!

After two days of trying to get to talk to somebody in D-Link, I called Radio Shack and told them it is impossible to claim on the warranty, as the manufacturer does not answer the phone, and they very kindly agreed either to replace the unit or refund my money. In view of the total lack of any sort of after sales service from D-Link, I chose to have a refund, and bought another manufacturer's router elsewhere. Radio Shack, of course, covered the cost of D-Link's faulty equipment, but of course by doing so they kept a customer, which is more than D-Link has done! I have written to D-Link and told them that I will never purchase D-Link equipment again, and will advise anybody I know who may be considering purchasing such equipment to steer clear of D-Link. As I said, one week after I sent an e-mail to D-Link, I got a reply, but by then it was too late, and I wrote back and told them so. At their request, I also went to D-Link's web site and tried to submit a service report, but when I pressed the "Submit" button, I got an error message!

Unfortunately, it seems to be becoming normal practice for companies to subject their customers to recorded messages and irritating menus, followed by long (sometimes eternal) waiting. If and when one ever gets to talk to a real person, the chances are he or she won't understand the problem, will treat the customer like a child, and will not be able to converse in a language which a normal user understands anyway.

If a blue board for such things did exist, I would be glad to post my experiences with D-Link as well as other cases of disgraceful customer service that I have been subjected to.
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ACER called me within the hour.... Nov 5, 2003

I sent this link to ACER Spain, informing them that over 50,000 translators would potentially see the complaint....and within an hour someone called me. See how important sites like ProZ can be and what they can achieve.

I now have what I need, contact details and opening times for the technical service centre. It took two months to get that...I just cannot believe that a serious company would allow so much time and resources - theirs and mine - to be wasted over a problem with such
... See more
I sent this link to ACER Spain, informing them that over 50,000 translators would potentially see the complaint....and within an hour someone called me. See how important sites like ProZ can be and what they can achieve.

I now have what I need, contact details and opening times for the technical service centre. It took two months to get that...I just cannot believe that a serious company would allow so much time and resources - theirs and mine - to be wasted over a problem with such a simple solution.

Thanks to all for your comments.
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Dear Henry, how about a blue board as suggested Nov 5, 2003

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Just an idea of an airing of the grievance at the Proz.com portal makes ACER take quick notice. How about constituting a blue board for service providers? I only hope the impersonal Paypal reacts to the complaints about its acts of commission and omission. Am at least happy that one service provider has responded.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ACER: terrible experience with after sales and technical service

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »