Thread poster: Sabina Fiorentini
Sabina Fiorentini
Sabina Fiorentini
Local time: 19:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2003

Hi all!

I am a Trados 6 freelance customer. I have installed the programme but I'm completely unable to make it run. When I try to create "My first memory" (according to the First Steps guide) and select Multiterm iX under Terminology provider (in the Terminology Recognition Options) the following error is reported "MEM_BAD_POINTER" and then "Runtime error! Program:C:\Programmi\Trados\T6_FL\TT\TW4WIN.EXE Abnormal program termination".
I have replaced the TW4WIN.EXE file by do
... See more
Hi all!

I am a Trados 6 freelance customer. I have installed the programme but I'm completely unable to make it run. When I try to create "My first memory" (according to the First Steps guide) and select Multiterm iX under Terminology provider (in the Terminology Recognition Options) the following error is reported "MEM_BAD_POINTER" and then "Runtime error! Program:C:\Programmi\Trados\T6_FL\TT\TW4WIN.EXE Abnormal program termination".
I have replaced the TW4WIN.EXE file by downloading the cumulative patch (from the site http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1203) but the problem is still occurring.
Is there anybody out there who could help me to solve this problem?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Sabina Fiorentini
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details required Nov 4, 2003

Hi Sabina,

I am a Trados 6 freelance customer. I have installed the programme but I'm completely unable to make it run.

This statement is contradicted by the fact that you're trying to select your terminology source. Therefore, you are apparently able to start Translator's Workbench. Can you confirm that?

When I try to create "My first memory" (according to the First Steps guide) and select Multiterm iX under Terminology provider (in the Terminology Recognition Options)

First of all, you don't need term recognition to create a translation memory, so I suggest you proceed without selecting a termbase.

Incidentally, have you also installed MultiTerm iX? If yes, did you create or import a termbase, or did you select the "local sample"?

I have replaced the TW4WIN.EXE file by downloading the cumulative patch (from the site http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1203) but the problem is still occurring.

Exactly which version of the program are you using (see Help - About...).

Let's see where we get...

Cheers, Ralf

Sabina Fiorentini
Sabina Fiorentini
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Main steps Nov 4, 2003

Dear Ralf,

thank you very much for your reply. In effect I was able to start Translator Workbench by following tha sample contained in chapter 1 of the First step guide.
I have installed Multiterm iX and created "my first memory" termbase according to the example (chapter 1 page of First Step Trados 6 freelance). Here are the exact steps I follow:
1) Launch Translator's Workbench from the Start menu

2) Choose New from the File Menu and in the Create Transla
... See more
Dear Ralf,

thank you very much for your reply. In effect I was able to start Translator Workbench by following tha sample contained in chapter 1 of the First step guide.
I have installed Multiterm iX and created "my first memory" termbase according to the example (chapter 1 page of First Step Trados 6 freelance). Here are the exact steps I follow:
1) Launch Translator's Workbench from the Start menu

2) Choose New from the File Menu and in the Create Translation Memory dialog box, select English (United Kingdom) as my source language and Spanish (Spain), as my target language (as required by the example: I selected these two languages during the installation process - together with Italian, French and Catalan)

3) Click Create and enter the file name (My first memory, according to this example)

4) Click Save (the file already exists and I click save to overwrite the file)

5) From the Options menu select Terminology Recognition Options. The terminology Recognition Options dialog box opens. The termbase tab is displayed. Under terminology Provider appears MultiTerm 5 (Trados 5). When I try to select Multiterm iX (according to the example) the following error is reported:
"Smartheap Library - MEM_BAD_POINTER" and if I click on Annulla appears the following box "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime error! Program:C:\Programmi\Trados\T6_FL\TT\TW4WIN.EXE Abnormal program termination" "TW4WIN ha provocato un errore di pagina non valida nel
modulo MULTITERMMTUTIL.DLL in 017f:0248485d.
Registri:
EAX=025c0800 CS=017f EIP=0248485d EFLGS=00010206
EBX=02470000 SS=0187 ESP=0070fc50 EBP=0070fc70
ECX=025c0a10 DS=0187 ESI=025c0a0c FS=32e7
EDX=00000000 ES=0187 EDI=00000001 GS=32d6
Byte all'indirizzo CS:EIP:
8b 0e 85 c9 74 07 ff d1 a1 90 40 49 02 83 ee 04
Immagine dello stack:
00000000 024848fa 02470000 00000000 00000001 00000000 02470000 8196ef08 0070fe38 bff7ddd6 02470000 00000001 00000001 00000000 02470000 8196ef08.

As for the programme, I am using Trados 6 freelance.

What can I do to solve this problem? I feel so stupid! I bought the programme a couple of months ago and I'm still unable to use it. I'm desperately looking for a training course in Italy but in the meantime I would like to start using the programme...

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Sabina

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sabina,

I am a Trados 6 freelance customer. I have installed the programme but I'm completely unable to make it run.

This statement is contradicted by the fact that you're trying to select your terminology source. Therefore, you are apparently able to start Translator's Workbench. Can you confirm that?

When I try to create "My first memory" (according to the First Steps guide) and select Multiterm iX under Terminology provider (in the Terminology Recognition Options)

First of all, you don't need term recognition to create a translation memory, so I suggest you proceed without selecting a termbase.

Incidentally, have you also installed MultiTerm iX? If yes, did you create or import a termbase, or did you select the "local sample"?

Exactly which version of the program are you using (see Help - About...).

Let's see where we get...

Cheers, Ralf
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Register the software - contact Trados Support Nov 4, 2003

Hi again.
The only remaining issue I can think of is software registration (in your computer's registry, not with the supplier).

Shut down all applications. In your program folder (Start - Programs - Trados 6 FL), you should have an item Register Trados 6 Freelance (or similar - I have the LSP version). This will ensure that all Trados applications are properly registered on your computer.

If that fails, I suggest you contact Trados Support (they wi
... See more
Hi again.
The only remaining issue I can think of is software registration (in your computer's registry, not with the supplier).

Shut down all applications. In your program folder (Start - Programs - Trados 6 FL), you should have an item Register Trados 6 Freelance (or similar - I have the LSP version). This will ensure that all Trados applications are properly registered on your computer.

If that fails, I suggest you contact Trados Support (they will need the version number I enquired about - probably Build 309 or Build 310).

Good luck, Ralf
Collapse

Sabina Fiorentini
Sabina Fiorentini
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Nov 4, 2003

Dear Ralf,

thanks again for your kind assistance. I will follow your instructions and keep you informed about any future development.

Cheers,

Sabina

Sabina Fiorentini
Sabina Fiorentini
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Nov 14, 2003

Dear Ralf,

it's me again! I just wanted to tell you that I have solved the problem by installing Windows XP on my computer.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,

Sabina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6 Freelance: error message "Smartheap Library - MEM_BAD_POINTER"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »