Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:54
Catalan to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2003

Hi everyone!

Although I normally use a beautiful Mac PowerBook G4 for all my work, over the last few weeks I have been staying with a friend and have had to use their tabletop PC several times. This computer is pretty old but seems to be working fine - except for one thing - the mouse:-(. It is very erratic - sometimes it works fine, sometimes it is very slow and wanders all over the place - except where you want it to - and on other occasions (like now:-() is totally refuses to wor
... See more
Hi everyone!

Although I normally use a beautiful Mac PowerBook G4 for all my work, over the last few weeks I have been staying with a friend and have had to use their tabletop PC several times. This computer is pretty old but seems to be working fine - except for one thing - the mouse:-(. It is very erratic - sometimes it works fine, sometimes it is very slow and wanders all over the place - except where you want it to - and on other occasions (like now:-() is totally refuses to work - despite rebooting, taking the cable out and sticking it in again etc. My friend has tested the mouse on another computer and it appears to be working fine. So, I have no idea what the problem could be. The computer uses Windows XP.

Does anyone has any idea whatsoever what could cause a mouse to act in this weird way??? I mean if it didn't work on another computer (or didn't work at all) I would presume it was simply the mouse. Could this be caused by a virus perhaps?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

(totally confused:-( ) Sheila

[Edited at 2003-11-04 09:26]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Clean the connector on the mouse and the computer Nov 4, 2003

...if cleaning the ball and the rolls it has contact with (as suggested by Tayfun) does not help. Improper connections are sometimes responsible for erratic behaviour (while a dirty mouse usually just leads to sluggish response).

I'm afraid there's not much else you can do. Mouses don't live forever...

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disregard Nov 4, 2003

Already said. P

[Edited at 2003-11-04 10:17]

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, I'll say it in Spanish Nov 4, 2003

Hi, I'm a bit in a hurry but I hope this helps!

Puedes comprobar si está correctamente instalado. Si tienes el diskette/CD de instalación del ratón, reinstálalo y reinicia. Puedes ver si da algún error yendo a Mi PC, haces 1 clic con el ratón (si funciona)o llegas hasta allá con el teclado (usando el tabulador de dos flechas)y haces alt + intro. En al 2º pestaña (lo tengo en francés.... ¿gestor de periféricos?) verás el ratón, haz clic y si no tiene señal de aviso de
... See more

Puedes comprobar si está correctamente instalado. Si tienes el diskette/CD de instalación del ratón, reinstálalo y reinicia. Puedes ver si da algún error yendo a Mi PC, haces 1 clic con el ratón (si funciona)o llegas hasta allá con el teclado (usando el tabulador de dos flechas)y haces alt + intro. En al 2º pestaña (lo tengo en francés.... ¿gestor de periféricos?) verás el ratón, haz clic y si no tiene señal de aviso de que pasa algo, de todas formas haz clic o desplázate hasta 'actualizar' y reinicia.

¡Suerte!
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dirty mouse Nov 4, 2003

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

You know the place that ball is mounted? (it must be opened by twisting )
Open it and you may see dirt accumulated arround some inner mechanism. In fact I clean this part in a few weeks or so.
(Note : if still the problem persists, you need to scan by an anti-virus software-I experience similar things in Win98 and soon my PC crached due to viruses- but some viruses memory resident not easily found by updated anti-virus programs. A safe booting from a brand new CD may be better)

[Edited at 2003-11-04 10:09]

Many thanks for your suggestions, Tayfun. I did try cleaning it and took the ball out and cleaned out the fluff that had gathered inside. But perhaps it is caused by a virus. My friend has Norton antivirus software in the computer and has run a virus check but nothing showed up. Now it's hard (well, impossible) to do anything because you can't move the mouse to use any of the programs:-(

However, booting from a new CD may help - do you mean an antivirus CD?

Thanks again for your ideas:-)

Sheila

[Edited at 2003-11-04 10:22]

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dirty connector Nov 4, 2003

Endre Both wrote:

...if cleaning the ball and the rolls it has contact with (as suggested by Tayfun) does not help. Improper connections are sometimes responsible for erratic behaviour (while a dirty mouse usually just leads to sluggish response).

I'm afraid there's not much else you can do. Mouses don't live forever...

Thanks for the suggestion, Endre. I will try that too. Cleaning the ball did not help. In any case, it worked fine on my friend's computer at his work - so that did not make sense. I mean if the problem were related to the mouse's rolling mechanism, I imagine it wouldn't work anywhere. But maybe it's the connector - I'll try anyway!

Thanks again:-)

Sheila

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mouse CD Nov 4, 2003

Patricia Posadas wrote:

Puedes comprobar si está correctamente instalado. Si tienes el diskette/CD de instalación del ratón, reinstálalo y reinicia. Puedes ver si da algún error yendo a Mi PC, haces 1 clic con el ratón (si funciona)o llegas hasta allá con el teclado (usando el tabulador de dos flechas)y haces alt + intro. En al 2º pestaña (lo tengo en francés.... ¿gestor de periféricos?) verás el ratón, haz clic y si no tiene señal de aviso de que pasa algo, de todas formas haz clic o desplázate hasta 'actualizar' y reinicia.

¡Suerte!

¡Muchas gracias, Patricia!

I'll see if he has the original disk to reinstall the program - but I am not sure. It is a second-hand computer and I don't know if they gave him the mouse disk. I'll also try to do what you say with My PC etc. However, I am not too sure if I can - it seems like I can't move around on the desktop at all without a mouse...:-(

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda:-)

Sheila

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
La souris, c'est comme le nombril! Nov 4, 2003

I see French is one of your languages. If you haven't seen it already, you may like to look at this thread on:
http://www.proz.com/topic/6785

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
souris et nombrils Nov 4, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

I see French is one of your languages. If you haven't seen it already, you may like to look at this thread on:
http://www.proz.com/topic/6785

Thanks, Jack. Yes, I had read it - it's a great thread. It really made me laugh:lol: In fact, I was thinking of Alain's mouse cleaning adventures when I was trying to get the fluff out of this one the other day:-))

Alas, I think this mouse has more than a fluff problem:-(

Sheila

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Check this thread Nov 4, 2003

Also check this recent thread
http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&ViewTopic&post=98066#98066

and some others: just search "mouse" ticking only the forums option. (I seem to remember it was something to do with the mousepad)
Good luck

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CD Nov 4, 2003

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Mostly Northon or Mcaffe can be cold booted from CD.
Alternatively you may download other software( from internet) and try it. But What I experience when a virus really resided it is not easy to detect it with installed anti-virus, somehow they make unseen them to anti-virus.
(As a precaution I recommend partition of you hardisk-if not done yet- to avoid any loss of files,when your PC craches you only have to format your default harddisk portion where your operating system is installed, let us say C: and D:, you may save all your info your secondary partition, D: )

[Edited at 2003-11-04 10:31]

Thanks, Tayfun. I may try that later today - I must admit I am not a PC expert and I am not sure if I will know how to partition the hard disk - but I shall ask my friend and see what he says when he gets back from work.

Thanks again:-)

Sheila

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Don't mean to be cruel, but... Nov 4, 2003

If this is a temporary thing, run out to the nearest computer store (if that's feasible, of course) and buy a 5 dollar mouse. It will do you for the time and later you can keep it as backup.

Sheila Hardie
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
new mouse... Nov 4, 2003

PAS wrote:

If this is a temporary thing, run out to the nearest computer store (if that's feasible, of course) and buy a 5 dollar mouse. It will do you for the time and later you can keep it as backup.

I might do that - and had thought of it - but what puzzles me is that the mouse that isn't working on this computer works fine at my friend's computer at work - he tried it out the other day. So, if I buy a new one, it may not work. I don't know what's causing this one to act so strangely. Saying that, I might well go out and get a new one today just to see!

Thanks for your suggestion:-)

Sheila

Emmanouil Tyrakis
Emmanouil Tyrakis
Local time: 17:54
French to Greek
+ ...
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Nov 4, 2003

Give it to the cat and buy a new one!!

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:54
Spanish to English
Thanks to Patricia and Sheila Nov 4, 2003

Patricia Posadas wrote:

¡Suerte!

Many thanks to Sheila for raising the issue and Patricia for her suggestion.
By sheer coincidence, I've been having problems with my mouse too. Thanks to your suggestion of going to mouse in Control Panel my problem seems to be solved.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mouse on strike!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »