Cordless phones battery doesn't hold a charge - what to do?
Thread poster: Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:40
French to English
Oct 31, 2003

Hi,
not sure this is the right place to ask this question but here goes anyway. I have a cordless phone that I bought two years ago which you are supposed to be able to use for 9 hours talking without having to recharge it and about a month ago the amount of time I could use it started to fall until I could hardly make any phone calls ont it at all without it beeping then cutting me off.

Do the batteries inside have to be changed? They are marked rechargeable so presumably are
... See more
Hi,
not sure this is the right place to ask this question but here goes anyway. I have a cordless phone that I bought two years ago which you are supposed to be able to use for 9 hours talking without having to recharge it and about a month ago the amount of time I could use it started to fall until I could hardly make any phone calls ont it at all without it beeping then cutting me off.

Do the batteries inside have to be changed? They are marked rechargeable so presumably are recharged when the phone is on its stand but do they eventually need changing?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:40
German to English
Yes, replace the battery Oct 31, 2003

The batteries recharge when the unit is placed in the stand. Eventually the batteries wear out and need to be replced. Refer to the owner's manual for instuctions. Someone may suggest a means to put a little new life in the batteries, but I've not had any that lasted more than 2 years.
Kevin

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, they do Oct 31, 2003

Hi Mary,

Yes, the battery pack on the handset needs to be replaced every once in a while. The piece of advice I got when I bought my cordless phone was to NOT put it back on its stand unless it was beeping. Apparently, the life of the battery is extended if you leave it off the stand until it needs full recharging, and then recharge it overnight. I don't know if this will apply to your phone as well, but it has worked well for me...
See more
Hi Mary,

Yes, the battery pack on the handset needs to be replaced every once in a while. The piece of advice I got when I bought my cordless phone was to NOT put it back on its stand unless it was beeping. Apparently, the life of the battery is extended if you leave it off the stand until it needs full recharging, and then recharge it overnight. I don't know if this will apply to your phone as well, but it has worked well for me

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2003-10-31 22:36]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:40
Spanish
+ ...
Contact technical support Oct 31, 2003

Do the batteries inside have to be changed?

The answer is yes. All rechargeable batteries need to be eventually replaced. I don't know how long they can last, but it depends on many factors.

I suggest you contact your cordless phone technical support department, and ask them if you need to replaced it. You'll probably have to buy a new one --cordless phones usually need one lithium battery. If you are still covered by the warranty, and there is no reason why that is happening, they should replace it for free.

Good luck,

Claudia

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree with Kevin Oct 31, 2003

Hello,

I agree with Kevin. Although most batteries are rechargeable, batteries don't last for ever, so if batteries don't hold any charge it means it is time to replace them with new ones.

The user manual should provide you with all info on that. The dealer you bought the equipment from should also be able to provide you with info on that matter.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Mónica

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
An aside Oct 31, 2003

Just as an aside, cordless phones (and also speaker phones) are a nightmare for anyone with hearing problems.

Nigel Skipper (X)
Nigel Skipper (X)
Local time: 11:40
Swedish to English
Check the type of battery Oct 31, 2003

If your cordless 'phone is fitted with Nickle Cadmium (NiCad) batteries, then thay are prone to "forgetting" their capacity if they are not fully discharged each time. If you are going to replace them, try and get NMHi (Nickle-metal Hybrid) batteries instead. They are not prone to the same problems as NiCads and have recently undergone a quite startling improvement in capacity. 2 years ago, the maximum capacity of an "AA" cell (RO6 for Europeans) was about 600 mA/h. Today, that figure for an equ... See more
If your cordless 'phone is fitted with Nickle Cadmium (NiCad) batteries, then thay are prone to "forgetting" their capacity if they are not fully discharged each time. If you are going to replace them, try and get NMHi (Nickle-metal Hybrid) batteries instead. They are not prone to the same problems as NiCads and have recently undergone a quite startling improvement in capacity. 2 years ago, the maximum capacity of an "AA" cell (RO6 for Europeans) was about 600 mA/h. Today, that figure for an equivalent NMHi battery is 2300 mA/h!

Such is the progress of science (and the demands made by digital cameras - which has driven this development).

//Nigel
Collapse

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all for your responses Oct 31, 2003

I know I should look at the instruction manual but can I find it?? No, of course not. Plus I bought it at a huge supermarket and doubt whether anyone there will have a clue about it!

Now I know.

Thanks again,
Mary

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:40
German to English
+ ...
Mary, Oct 31, 2003

Open up the battery compartment of your phone and take out the old batteries. Then take them to a department or electronics store and see if they have them or can tell you where to get them.

I have an old AT&T phone and can get the batteries in many different stores here in the US.

Good luck!

Trudy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cordless phones battery doesn't hold a charge - what to do?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »