Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:03
English to German
+ ...
Oct 25, 2003

Hello,

I have a Word2000 file with a TOC. So far I have not had the opportunity of translating one, so I am actually new to this.

I'd therefore appreciate if someone could give me some help:
- How can I access the headlines? At the moment each click gets me straight to the chapter.
- Is there any chance I can have Wordfast translate it automatically?

TIA.

Regards,

Sonja...
See more
Hello,

I have a Word2000 file with a TOC. So far I have not had the opportunity of translating one, so I am actually new to this.

I'd therefore appreciate if someone could give me some help:
- How can I access the headlines? At the moment each click gets me straight to the chapter.
- Is there any chance I can have Wordfast translate it automatically?

TIA.

Regards,

Sonja

[Edited at 2003-10-25 15:44]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No need to access automatic ToCs Oct 25, 2003

Hi Sonja,
I assume this is a dynamic table of contents created in MS Word. The link behaviour is a tell-tale sign - another is that the entire table is greyed out once you touch it.

There's no need to access the ToC - just translate the individual chapter/section headers (which make up the ToC) and update the ToC (F9) once you have finished the translation and cleaned up.

A couple of points to note:

- Be careful not to tamper with the styles used to f
... See more
Hi Sonja,
I assume this is a dynamic table of contents created in MS Word. The link behaviour is a tell-tale sign - another is that the entire table is greyed out once you touch it.

There's no need to access the ToC - just translate the individual chapter/section headers (which make up the ToC) and update the ToC (F9) once you have finished the translation and cleaned up.

A couple of points to note:

- Be careful not to tamper with the styles used to format the section headings.
- If the ToC was customised by the author of the document, you may need the document template (.dot) to avoid formatting problems when trying to update the ToC. Alternatively, ask your customer to run the update process on their computer.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the quick reply Oct 25, 2003

Hi Ralf,

thank you very much for replying so quickly.

In fact, I have just found out how to update the ToC.

I'll probably ask my client to update it himself to avoid any further problems with formatting (the client customised the layout - and it looks completely different when I update it).

Thanks again and regards,

Sonja...
See more
Hi Ralf,

thank you very much for replying so quickly.

In fact, I have just found out how to update the ToC.

I'll probably ask my client to update it himself to avoid any further problems with formatting (the client customised the layout - and it looks completely different when I update it).

Thanks again and regards,

Sonja
Collapse

Sabine Nay
Sabine Nay  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Field codes - Feldfunktionen Oct 25, 2003

Sonja,

enable check box "Feldfunktionen" in Word 2000: Extras > Optionen > Ansicht tab > Anzeigen section > Feldfunktionen check box. You will immediately see that the TOC (or index, cross reference, page number etc.) does not contain translatable text.

You may also want to use this function to verify whether your manual contains cross references to other chapters/sections/page numbers which are easily deleted if you are not aware of the field codes function.

... See more
Sonja,

enable check box "Feldfunktionen" in Word 2000: Extras > Optionen > Ansicht tab > Anzeigen section > Feldfunktionen check box. You will immediately see that the TOC (or index, cross reference, page number etc.) does not contain translatable text.

You may also want to use this function to verify whether your manual contains cross references to other chapters/sections/page numbers which are easily deleted if you are not aware of the field codes function.

Sabine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Table of Contents - how to translate?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »