Importing Czech Word files into Quark
Thread poster: peachkind
peachkind
peachkind
Local time: 18:39
Oct 22, 2003

Hello !

I am trying to get typeset some work I have had translated into Czech into Quark on a Mac. The file has been supplied to me in Word format in Helvetica font. I have purchased this font for Quark but every time I try and import the Word text into Quark, the characters change ! I've tried changing the fonts both in the original Word file and in Quark but this doesn't help either.

I've also tried converting the Word PC file into Word for Mac and then importing i
... See more
Hello !

I am trying to get typeset some work I have had translated into Czech into Quark on a Mac. The file has been supplied to me in Word format in Helvetica font. I have purchased this font for Quark but every time I try and import the Word text into Quark, the characters change ! I've tried changing the fonts both in the original Word file and in Quark but this doesn't help either.

I've also tried converting the Word PC file into Word for Mac and then importing it, but this still doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong ?

Thanks
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You are doing nothing wrong Oct 22, 2003

The problem occurs, because the code tables on Windows and MAC systems differ completly.
What I do is to open a Word file on MAC and replace all characters using the search and replace function in Word.
There are some filters (mostly made by people on their own), which do the same, but I don´t have any.
There are fonts too, which are the same on both MAC and PC, but I don´t have such either.
Have you tried to import the font on MAC using a proper tool? There is a tool f
... See more
The problem occurs, because the code tables on Windows and MAC systems differ completly.
What I do is to open a Word file on MAC and replace all characters using the search and replace function in Word.
There are some filters (mostly made by people on their own), which do the same, but I don´t have any.
There are fonts too, which are the same on both MAC and PC, but I don´t have such either.
Have you tried to import the font on MAC using a proper tool? There is a tool for importing PC fonts in MAC...
I must admit, that I don´t know much about MAC, but for the purposes I needed until now the searching and replacing method was enough.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:39
English to Polish
Use RTF format and PowerReplace Oct 22, 2003

You can always save document as RTF and then use PowerReplace (it is Mac software, unfortunately not freeware) to convert RTF from Windows CE to Mac CE (appropriate conversion rules are provided with the application). Then you should be able to properly display Czech characters on Mac system (using CE font of course).

The problem is the difference in coding of national characters on PC and Mac system.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Czech Word files into Quark

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »