Is it perhaps unprofessional to rely on a PAID antivirus/firewall?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2009

I used to use AVG Free Antivirus in combination with Comodo Personal Firewall ... and then I went and bought one of the paid variants. It only slowed down my computer and so I am now back to said time-tested FREE combo.

I wonder what your experiences are.

I actuall
... See more
I used to use AVG Free Antivirus in combination with Comodo Personal Firewall ... and then I went and bought one of the paid variants. It only slowed down my computer and so I am now back to said time-tested FREE combo.

I wonder what your experiences are.

I actually just finished removing a virus, caused by my PAID anti-virus/firewall, and so am left wondering whether it is maybe not just better to use FREE SOFTWARE.

I would be interested in hearing your arguments either in favour or against paying for protection.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:22
English to Czech
+ ...
AVG... Oct 16, 2009

Hi Michael,
there are far better options than AVG. I've had very good experience with F-Secure. AVG often produces hoaxes and slows your machine down considerably.
Note: most antivirus systems already include a firewall today, so no need to install a separate one. Quite the opposite: installing two firewalls may be potentially dangerous because they often clash between each other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it perhaps unprofessional to rely on a PAID antivirus/firewall?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »