Is it possible to convert Word tables in Excel tables?
Thread poster: Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 08:00
English to French
+ ...
Oct 2, 2003

I am wondering whether it is possible to transform a word table (glossary) into an excel one. Excel is (for me) easier to use in this case and I have a rather long glossary in word.
If it is possible, could you explain it as for a six years old child, because that is what I am when I need to use my PC in an unusual way.
Thanks a lot

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Copy & paste Oct 2, 2003

Hi Martine,
Have you tried to highlight the entire table, copy the contents into the clipboard and paste it into the Excel file?

Just tried it - works for me; it does depend on the table structure, though.

Good luck, Ralf

Cicero
Cicero
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:00
Japanese to English
+ ...
Copy and Paste Oct 2, 2003

Hi

Ralf is quite right. Copy and pasting will work. Prior to doing so, it is important to make sure that there are no paragraph breaks or tab breaks within the text in a table since this can alter the cell format in Excel. For example some cells can become merged or in some cases one column can be longer than another.

Best wishes

Didier

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
saved... Oct 2, 2003

I had told that I was as a six years old chilg. I was trying to insert my word table in an excel file. Never thought to copy and paste. But it works...
Second times you save me...
Thanks

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Yes. Oct 3, 2003

Although I'm not sure how well this works for complex tables (and as my Word is German, I'm only guessing the menu items in English).

Mark your table in Word. Go to Table, Convert, Table in Text. Select Tabstops in the dialogue box. Save the document as txt (Text only). Go to Excel, select File, Open, Text files. Select the file. In the conversion window select Separated (first choice), Continue, Tabstops, Continue. That should be it. Try it.

Alan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to convert Word tables in Excel tables?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »