Thread poster: Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
English to German
+ ...
Sep 23, 2003

Dear colleagues,

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve experienced problems with AOL. Some e-mails didn’t arrive at my end. I was told by the senders that they did send the e-mails; some simply used the reply function.

I have reported it to AOL and they told me they had similar reports and will check there system.

I was wondering whether anybody has had a similar experience with AOL or there provider and what would be the best way to proceed.

... See more
Dear colleagues,

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve experienced problems with AOL. Some e-mails didn’t arrive at my end. I was told by the senders that they did send the e-mails; some simply used the reply function.

I have reported it to AOL and they told me they had similar reports and will check there system.

I was wondering whether anybody has had a similar experience with AOL or there provider and what would be the best way to proceed.

Many thanks

Norbert
Collapse

Cicero
Cicero
United Kingdom
Japanese to English
+ ...
E-mail disappearing Sep 23, 2003

Hi Hermann

We have had the same problems with our provider, not AOL. Maybe spammers have finally managed to block the net, whichever, something is definitely going wrong.

Last week I received an e-mail 48 hours late, would have been quicker to post it and only today one that was 24 hours late this is in addition to a complete lack of in coming e-mails from Friday 09:00 to 15:00 BST.

Still, looking on the bright side, at this rate we might all be able to s
... See more
Hi Hermann

We have had the same problems with our provider, not AOL. Maybe spammers have finally managed to block the net, whichever, something is definitely going wrong.

Last week I received an e-mail 48 hours late, would have been quicker to post it and only today one that was 24 hours late this is in addition to a complete lack of in coming e-mails from Friday 09:00 to 15:00 BST.

Still, looking on the bright side, at this rate we might all be able to slowdown again to pre "real time" work including taking lunches, making telephone calls and so on.

Best wishes

Didier
Collapse

Celine Gras
Celine Gras  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:43
English to French
+ ...
Mails disappearing here too Sep 23, 2003

Hi Norbert,

I'm just having the exact same problem, and with AOL too ! Some clients send me mails which I don't get, and once a client sent ma a mail on both my addresses, the other one on a different provider, and I only received the mail on that 2nd address.
I contacted them, but they told me it was not coming from them, that they had never heard such a problem. Someone there even told me that I should be happy I received 'some' mails !
If you have any news regarding t
... See more
Hi Norbert,

I'm just having the exact same problem, and with AOL too ! Some clients send me mails which I don't get, and once a client sent ma a mail on both my addresses, the other one on a different provider, and I only received the mail on that 2nd address.
I contacted them, but they told me it was not coming from them, that they had never heard such a problem. Someone there even told me that I should be happy I received 'some' mails !
If you have any news regarding this, I'd really appreciate that you'd let me know. I'm always afraid to miss an important contract because of this !
I thought that maybe it was coming from either their antivirus or antispam systems, but they couldn't confirm.

Best regards,
Céline
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
Disappearing messages Sep 23, 2003

Hermann wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks

Norbert

Dear Norbert and Céline,

It has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 years. This last time, I just did not let it go and finally got through to someone who knew why. I also have an AOL account. It seems that the servers from which you are not getting the messages have been sending out a lot of spam. AOL users have complained and AOL has blocked ALL mail from these servers. I think it is appalling service provision since you penalise the whole bunch when only a few are responsible. After a few weeks you will start receiving mail from those blocked addresses. But never the ones you did not receive!

Just complain to AOL on a regular basis. That is what I do. I also have a hotmail account for these kind of situations.

Kind regards to all!

Norbert Hermann
Norbert Hermann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 23, 2003

Marijke Singer wrote:

Hermann wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Many thanks

Norbert

Dear Norbert and Céline,

It has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 years. This last time, I just did not let it go and finally got through to someone who knew why. I also have an AOL account. It seems that the servers from which you are not getting the messages have been sending out a lot of spam. AOL users have complained and AOL has blocked ALL mail from these servers. I think it is appalling service provision since you penalise the whole bunch when only a few are responsible. After a few weeks you will start receiving mail from those blocked addresses. But never the ones you did not receive!

Just complain to AOL on a regular basis. That is what I do. I also have a hotmail account for these kind of situations.

Kind regards to all!

Yes, I have reported it and will keep on reporting each instance I become aware of. I was also told that it might be a spam filter that is responsible for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with emails disappearing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »